Thread: Pulsing, and slight stumble or hesitation, trans or motor??

turbo addict

Pulsing, and slight stumble or hesitation, trans or motor??

Hi guys,

No real urgency on this, just might be a compound issue, so couldn't pick a section.

Swapped a used auto tranny into my '88 Voyager recently, has the 3.0 but since tranny and electronics are the same I figured the problems might be familiar to everyone.

Now, it was running almost perfectly, but I had a kind of slight hesitation, not enough to splutter the engine, but kind of like a feeling of no power going through about 2000 rpm sometimes... was thinking that was a motor issue, maybe needing oil change and tune up (It's currently got some thick stuff in it to silence a rod knock that wasn't there)

But driving round yesterday, around 2100 RPM at about 65-70 kph it was misbehaving on the TC lockup it felt like, surging on and off, going +/- 100 rpm. Now this was a longer, hotter drive than I'd had it out for since putting the tranny in, was wondering if it didn't like the fluid hot maybe. Lockup was quite positive in previous testing, came in noticeably. It was hard to tell whether it was motor or transmission related, I could see the rpm needle flicking up and down a little and feel it surging... If I gave it more or less throttle it settled down i.e. drove at under 65 or over 75kph.

But because of the hesitation issue at around the same RPMs and same lightish throttle position, I was wondering if it isn't a problem with the transmission, fluid or TC clutch, but instead with the motor or actuators and sensors. I seem to remember some time ago that I was suspecting the TPS, throttle position sensor, for some issue, can't remember what or why, but now again, I'm thinking it could be a glitch in the TPS making it do that.

The tranny has been behaving great otherwise, has enough fluid, it's not aerating. One suspicion is a slight input shaft seal leakage or something, because when it was first in, it was buzzing in the VB which went away, so thinking that maybe a dried up seal was leaking a bit, then it swelled up with being run, but it hasn't quite sealed perfect?

I did have some stumble at idle and low idle issues, but those seem to have been going away with use, it was sitting around for months, so maybe something is degumming or wearing a bit of stickiness off.

I've got 2 "spare" throttle bodies lying around but they're the later 48mm ones. I think I remember looking at the TPS on them and found they had different connectors on them. I think electrically they should be the same.

I'm thinking that if I rig a test light to the TCC solenoid and it's flashes on and off, that's a motor/electronicals problem, and if it stays steady while it's pulsing, then that's a transmission problem right? Is there an easier way to tell than that? Coz I think to do that I'd have to cut into the harness, which I don't really want to do just for testing.

Gotta check the spare throttle bodies again, but maybe the TPS was cut off the other side of the harness connector on one of them. If so should I "upgrade" my harness to the later connector do you think, or splice the lead from the old TPS on... normally I'd think keeping it stock would be best, but OTOH I'm thinking that if I get a 58mm TB to swap in, or get wrecker spares, they'll likely be 90 or later (not quite sure when they changed it) and need the later plug... so I might end up swapping that one TPS pigtail multiple times...

So, thanks in advance for any thoughts on what this is, or how to better isolate the problem so I can be sure of what is causing it.

RW222

Garrett booster

Re: Pulsing, and slight stumble or hesitation, trans or motor??

You could just unplug the lock-up connector on the trans and see if it goes away. If it's still there it's probably a motor issue, not trans. The buzzing when you first put the trans in was the pressure regulator valve trying to build pressure with a low fluid level. No seal or sealing ring issue. Those trannies are pretty reliable as long as the differential bearings don't get wiped out.
    Last edited by DocFish; 05-19-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What he said except in stock form, they are very weak, they need some fixin,

Dodge sent a bulletin out for dealers to unplug the TCC for your exact reason, locking up to early and causing shudders/fishbites.

I would look at what your oxygen sensor is doing to see if your going lean or its missing.

TPS are the same but I think in 91, they switched the connector around,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Dodge sent a bulletin out for dealers to unplug the TCC for your exact reason, locking up to early and causing shudders/fishbites.
    Yeah I've seen that TSB how come my '88 never had a problem and then '91 does... and what was the actual production fix? If this is what the issue is though, I'll be trying varying amounts of type-F and lucas tranny fix in it until it stops... and if it doesn't, figure out a way to flush my '88 converter and try that.... though I might just rig a dash switch to the solenoid for on/off/auto

Garrett booster

Could be the '91 convertor going Souoth, TCC filter partially plugged, different manufacturer. Did you unplug it to see if it went away?

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior222 View Post
    Yeah I've seen that TSB how come my '88 never had a problem and then '91 does... and what was the actual production fix? If this is what the issue is though, I'll be trying varying amounts of type-F and lucas tranny fix in it until it stops... and if it doesn't, figure out a way to flush my '88 converter and try that.... though I might just rig a dash switch to the solenoid for on/off/auto
    It could be because they went leaner etc for emissions.

Its not really a tranny issue, its the programming.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

Heh, I think you're forgetting I mean a 91 trans in an 88 car there Simon. No programming involved, unless that plastic ball in the VB makes it more twitchy....

Sooooooo........

Didn't get the fuel pump swapped in yet, had to go for an hour long drive today... wasn't running very smooth, could hear it hiccup a little when trying to keep a steady speed, not a big jerk, just slight miss...

AND... it goes up hills about as good as a fully loaded TBI .... losing power for sure.

Found out the TC seems to be draining if I let it stand more than a couple of days, then I get the buzzing on startup again.

TC surge/pulse problem didn't replicate itself again yet, but acceleration is getting uneven kinda blurp-ble-blurpblurpblurp...

I wish I could remember what the hell I did to it when I was chasing that non-existant "rod knock" I might have pulled 2 degrees of base timing or something.

It only just passed an e-test, had a new O2 a year ago, has the good wires on it, plugs probably have less than 10,000 on, anyway if injector was leaking, or spark was off by much I don't the e-test numbers would have been any good. So I'm back to thinking it will all go away when the new fuel pump goes on, or that was half of it and a new TPS will do the rest... though I should check timing too.

turbo addict

Hmmmkay,didn't notice this before because I don't usually pound on it much until it's warmed up, but was in a hurry this morning, and had to get on the highway right away, and it pulled hard while it was still "cold". So, what sensors does it use and not use when it's in open loop?

... Or maybe it was just the fuel pump behaving nice until it got a bit warmer or something...

Gotta get that bugger swapped, keep drawing errands and the weather/pollen combo is still kicking my arse.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior222 View Post
    Hmmmkay,didn't notice this before because I don't usually pound on it much until it's warmed up, but was in a hurry this morning, and had to get on the highway right away, and it pulled hard while it was still "cold". So, what sensors does it use and not use when it's in open loop?

... Or maybe it was just the fuel pump behaving nice until it got a bit warmer or something...

Gotta get that bugger swapped, keep drawing errands and the weather/pollen combo is still kicking my arse.
    Cold is open loop, running richer so if it goes better cold, your warm condition is a lean issue, IE dirty injectors, bad ox, vacuum leak etc.