Thread: Shelby Charger dies immediately after startup...

Mitsu booster

Shelby Charger dies immediately after startup...

well... im back... with more troubles... damn. well i recently fixed the clutch problems i have been having and i just got it back from the shop about a week ago and yet another problem has occured. two days ago now i was backing the car out of my driveway and it stalled... i tried to start it back up but it wouldnt... it cranked over fine but it wouldnt start. so i waited for a little bit then tried to start it again and it had trouble but it finally started up. ran the rest of the day no problems whatsoever. i parked it at my girlfriends house and went out. when i came back to go home later that night it would not start... so i turned the key twice to pressurize the fuel system and it starts for maybe 2 seconds then it dies again. i ran codes on it and it threw a 24 and 27 code... 24 is for the TPS sensor and the 27 code is an injector code. i have tried to check the TPS sensor but im not fully sure what the specs are supposed to be on it. and nothing appears to be wrong with the injectors. all fuel lines are fine and uncracked and there are no leaks under the car. i have never replaced the fuel filter and as far as i know the fuel pump was new when i bought the car 2 years ago. i called a dodge mechanic and he immediately said if it only works for a few seconds after i pressurize the system then its the fuel pump... is this correct? if so then why is it throwing a TPS sensor code? i doubt this has any relevance, but ever since i got the car back from the shop the speedo once i get to about 40mph starts to sway around... until i get to about 50 or so where it stays put and builds with the mph... and a few days ago the tach was very erratic going all over the place. i really have no idea what could be causing these problems. if anyone has any idea what i should check or do to test certains parts it would be very helpful.

Mitsu booster

Re: Shelby Charger dies immediately after startup...

I had the same problem with the Speedo that you are having on my Spirit and it was the speed sensor on the trans. I'm not familiar with your car but you might want to start there.

Hybrid booster

could be a bad hep or bad map sensor both are known to do the things you describe.

turbo addict

Test the fuel pressure.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    test the fuel pressure.
    +1....

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 89ShelbyGuy View Post
    +1....
    +2

Mitsu booster

fuel pressure is good... there is spark... it is throwing an injector 2 circuit code however and the throttle position sensor code. and the power loss lamp has been coming on and off for about a year now... but it did decide to start today. it just runs pretty rough. i have no idea what is wrong with it... any more ideas?

Hybrid booster

Sounds like an electrical issue, maybe bad/melted/corroded connector, or bad ground someplace. I'd check out the injector harness, the plug where it connects up to the power module, and the connectors on the top of the Logic Module.

Guys notoriously remove the baggie/tar paper from the LM and as the cars age that area (inner fender well) typically starts taking some water when it rains, which then drips down into those connectors. Water in the connectors can cause a number of odd/intermittent issues, leading to permanent issues once the connectors corrode.

Mitsu booster

i know for sure there has been water in the logic module because i drove through what i thought was a small puddle during a rain storm and it turned out to be quite a bit larger than a small puddle. i took apart the module and cleaned it out and let it dry and the car has worked but ever since then the power loss light has come on and off and at high rpms when i let off the throttle while the power loss light is on the car will jump and it seems to missfire. ive been meaning to replace the module but i looked inside it and it doesnt seem like it has corrosion but the terminals arent the best... would a new logic module solve the problem? perhaps?

Hybrid booster

Cool Re: Shelby Charger dies immediately after startup...

It's hard to diagnose a problem like this through the forum. If you have access to a known good spare LM and PM, it wouldn't hurt to try them out to see if it corrects the problems you're having, but I can't recommend that you purchase either--

Corrosion can and often does occur in the wiring connectors themselves, usually up in the plugs, making intermittents more difficult to trace down. I just found and fixed a bad connection going to my hatch release--my first instinct was to replace the solenoid, but after doing some testing I found it was connector-related.

If you want to troubleshoot this, pick up a set of the Mopar shop manuals, specifically the one (there are three) with the wiring diagrams in it, and a list of trouble codes (can download). Then I would look for a copy of the Mopar "driveability" manual (I have an '86 copy). It has troubleshooting info in it for most of the major codes, with step-by-step testing procedures. Very valueable resource to have--

I think I'd also fix that water leak--

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbo-charger88 View Post
    i know for sure there has been water in the logic module because i drove through what i thought was a small puddle during a rain storm and it turned out to be quite a bit larger than a small puddle. i took apart the module and cleaned it out and let it dry and the car has worked but ever since then the power loss light has come on and off and at high rpms when i let off the throttle while the power loss light is on the car will jump and it seems to missfire. ive been meaning to replace the module but i looked inside it and it doesnt seem like it has corrosion but the terminals arent the best... would a new logic module solve the problem? perhaps?
    Oh boy. At least try another. Definately save ya some head scratchin time. Esp if its been in water

Mitsu booster

yeah... and during bad rainstorms it gets wet... its gotten wet quite a few times over the two years or so ive owned it and ive tried a couple ways to seal up whatever lets in the water but with no success... i dont have an extra logic module anywhere... so if anyone has one for cheap let me know lol

Hybrid booster

Post the year and type of Shelby Charger (turbo 1, etc) you have in the "parts wanted" section--I'm sure someone has a good spare they'd sell you.

I have a T1 LM from an '87, but it's in pretty bad shape, and was also wet. It came from a donor car we bought a few years ago. I would be hesistant to sell it to anyone--

In regards to the water leak, one thing you should check is the drain tubing for the sunroof--there is a length of plastic tubing behind each front kick-panel that runs down from the drains in the sunroof well. The passenger-side tubing runs right behind the LM. Mice, if your car has ever been stored outside, love to eat that stuff.

Also, the LM originally had a big gasket behind it (looked like tar paper), covering up the manufacturing hole in the sheet-metal, and a baggie over it. You may want to look into replacing these items--

We had a water issue in one of ours and I found it was leaking in around the screw for the wiring harness clamp, just above the LM.