Thread: Brake Line Issue

Brake Line Issue

So, I've been dealing with brake issues for a long time now. When I did a lot of work on my car over the winter I had to replace the hard brake lines. I opted for stainless steel. Well, it's been a real problem getting the lines to seal. Anyhow, on to the point. I've had to spend a lot of money finding this out the hard way.

1. You can't use stainless steel hard lines on brass flex lines or a prop valve.
    2. You need to tighten the stainless, then loosen, then tighten again until they seal. Simply tightening them once will not do it. No matter how tight you tighten them.
    3. You need to make sure the flare is seated flush and level before tightening or you can mess up the flare.

So, I've had to reflare some of the ends and now I have to get a new prop valve. The shop it's at ordered a new valve, one that's stainless. Is there anything I need to be aware of? I just want to make sure that my brakes work just as good if not better than before all of this crap.

boostaholic

Re: Brake Line Issue

Are you using a double flaring tool ? Stainless steel is a b!tch to deal with.

The shop that flared them did a standard double flare. I agree that SS is a ----- to work with. I'll never use it again.

I am curious though, with a new prop valve, how can I be sure that I'm getting the same pressure front to rear?

boostaholic

Lock up the whls about 30 MPH and check the skid marks. After many yrs and many differant brake problems encounter in my auto tech career I've always tried to skid technic to diag problems. Altough it does freak people out.