Thread: Intermediate shaft seal?

Garrett booster

Exclamation Intermediate shaft seal?

has anyone ever have one of these go bad. The passenger side of my engine is soaked in oil (all over my belts, including timming belt) and I was wondering if this was a tell sign of the intermediate shaft seal going out I really can't pin point the leak right now with everyting in the way. First I had a leak in the valve cover (in the back, dripping on the manifold causing smoke in the engine bay) that got worse when i was under boost so I resealed it and let it sit overnight and when I drove the car to work the next day I opened the hood and there was oil on my pulleys. Its an 85 turbo z with a one piece intake manifold.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Intermediate shaft seal?

Could be cam seal or intermediate shaft seal or crank seal or valvecover too... if the oil is all over it is hard to tell where it is coming from.

Gotta clean everything really well and then fire it up to see wher eit is coming from.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Any chance your oil filter could be cracked? I had one develop a hairline crack and squirt oil all over the belts and pulleys. Some of the older cars seem to have a larger alternator and I was using the larger filter for a 5.2L V8. There wasn't enough clearance for it so I went back to the stock sized filter. This was on an 85 New Yorker.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

They do leak but not that badly.

Its either the cam seal, crank seal or there is a galley plug in that area that will make a mess.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

i cleaned the engine off and dried off what i could reach with my hand and started the car but still i couldn't pin point the leak. (it didn't seem to leak at all). And then I drove to pick my boy up from school and i checked the engine when I got there and it was covered in oil again. It seems to leak either when i'm in boost or at high rpm. I'm off work tomorrow, my plan is to clean everything again and drive it around the block with the hood off and see when it flings the oil, in boost or hight rpm.

Probably checked this but be sure that like Simon says the cam seal isn,t pushing out or not properly seated right.I know first hand that that little bugger can created a huge mess.Oh and you already know this but make sure your watching your oil level till you get that leak fixed.Common sense i know but just a friendly reminder.. Plus maybe it is a one piece rubber gasket that isn,t seated right under the valve cover.Had that happen to me once to ,put the cover back on and it decided to drop a bit and the cover squished it.

turbo addict

what is your PCV system like? You might not even have a bad seal but under boost you push oil past the seals. Mine had that probem when I got it because there was no TEE in the pcv system under boost the PCV vavle would close and then the crankcase would pressurize.

Garrett booster

thats what i'm hoping for since my oil level hasn't seem to have dropped that much. I'm about to clean everything up again and drive the car around without going into boost and see where that gets me. Then i guess it's off to trying to figure out a pcv system. Is it possible for boost to leak through the valve seals?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Muertoloco View Post
    Is it possible for boost to leak through the valve seals?
    No....
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

ok i found the problem. it was the valve cover. when i sealed it, i didn't notice the rubber end gasket fell outa place. the oil was running down the back corner of the head just missing the exhaust mani, draining down the power steering pump bracket, driping on the timingbelt tensioner and from there splashing everywhere. next i'll solve the oil leak in the golf.