Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions, opinions, opinions...

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Opinions, opinions, opinions...

My TII Garrett took a huge crap on me yesterday. Metaphorically speaking it shat oil all down my lower hard pipe and through the core. DAMN! On top of new pistons (which btw, are on their way as I type) that I was planning on installing the end of this month the turbo has to spew oil on me like this.

So it's a Garrett T3/T04E 50trim, S3 wheel, .60 cold/.63 hot, with a T3 flange, brand spankin' new.

Problems are that (1. That's a BIG turbine wheel! (2. Oil cooled only. How would I block off the coolant lines? And is it possible to drive it on the street like this? Any other concerns I should have with oil cooled only?

Also, I have a stock head. Will I absolutely NEED to port my head? Or will I be looking at a lag monster without that?

Thanks for any help fella's.

-Bryan

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Re: Opinions, opinions, opinions...

take your coolant lines to a local industrial supply/hydraulic speciality store. They can get you plugs to block off the lines.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

For oil cooled only, you just have to keep in mind that it will heat soak when you shut it down. So that old thing about letting it idle for a minute before shutting it down would apply. I guess you could get a turbo timer.

Hybrid booster

If you are worried about the turbine side being too big, buy a chrysler .48 AR stage 3 housing. There was a post on here earlier about it spooling up VERY quickly with that combo.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar
    For oil cooled only, you just have to keep in mind that it will heat soak when you shut it down. So that old thing about letting it idle for a minute before shutting it down would apply. I guess you could get a turbo timer.
    Shouldn't that always apply?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    (2. Oil cooled only. How would I block off the coolant lines? And is it possible to drive it on the street like this? Any other concerns I should have with oil cooled only?Bryan
    There are many cars and trucks that have oil cooled only turbos. The only thing, like was posted before, make sure you give proper cool down before you turn the engine off.

My sc61 is oil cooled only and it works great.

Hybrid booster

Bryan,
    I think, with the stock head, stock stall convertor in an auto tranny, will be really laggy.

When I breifly ran a t3/t4e .63 stage 1 with an auto tranny stock convertor, stock head, I had spooling issues.

Might need a small shot of nitrous to get it moving.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 85glht
    There are many cars and trucks that have oil cooled only turbos. The only thing, like was posted before, make sure you give proper cool down before you turn the engine off.
    Diesel vehicles tend to use oil for both lubrication and cooling. Since exhaust temps are lower then gas powered engines water cooling isn't necessary. as mentioned above, you must allow the engine/turbo to cool down after spirited driving in ANY turbo charged vehicle.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

The turbo coolant feed is 3/8 pipe plug-back of the block. The front one is probably the same but can't remember. Just take the fitting into a parts store and they can match you up a plug.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Beh, sorry for the confusion here guys. Cindy just sent me a T3/T4 Hybrid 50 trim, S2 wheel, in a T04B compressor housing. WOO!!!

Why a T04B? The 8 valves prefer a T04E!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Simon - how come??
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Clay
    Simon - how come??

From reading all the posts on both sites, Terry Ryan tested them, the B housing is high pressure, the E cover is high volume, more suited to our crappy flowing 8 valve heads. EDIT, I might have the volume/pressure backwards but you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    From reading all the posts on both sites, Terry Ryan tested them, the B housing is high pressure, the E cover is high volume, more suited to our crappy flowing 8 valve heads. EDIT, I might have the volume/pressure backwards but you get the idea.
    +1 ^^ It's a widely known fact that the T04Bs do not perform as well as the T04Es in TD applications. We also strongly recommend not mixing T04B and T04E wheels and housings. Since the 50 trim T04E compressor wheel was a good choice maybe you can just swap the T04B version out for the matching T04E compressor housing.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Dang Simon where are you at on this thread?

The E series is high pressure the B is high flow.

The hole in the head for the coolant return is 3/8ths NPT and the block is 1/4 NPT once you remove the 1/4 to 3/8ths NPT adapter. A little teflon tape and some brass pipe plugs and you will be in buisiness.

If you can't tell I have run a oil only turbo before. No problems what so ever. I just granny it around for a few minutes before shut down, or idle it down when I get there either way...

Quote Originally Posted by cordes
    Dang Simon where are you at on this thread?

Huh?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Huh?
    That was my way to taking a friendly jab at you for mixing up the pressure vs. flow, and not knowing the fitting sizes off of the top of your head for certian. Just messing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes
    That was my way to taking a friendly jab at you for mixing up the pressure vs. flow, and not knowing the fitting sizes off of the top of your head for certian. Just messing with you.
    Oh, I see,

Thanks Simon and Chris! Always love to learn more TD stuff!
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast