Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird "Pssh" noise when I lift off Throttle

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mcglsr2's Avatar

Weird "Pssh" noise when I lift off Throttle

Hey guys, back with another question. I've pretty much put my car back to stock for the time being - it's an 87 CSX. I am NOT currently running a BOV. I do have a cone filter on the compressor intake.

So here's the issue: the car drives fine, but I step on it, it builds boost, and all is right with the world. When I left off the gas, I hear a "pssssh pssh psh" noise. As I said, no BOV. Also, I don't think the turbo is surging. It has never surged before that I know of. Boost is about 12 or so right now. So not that high.

I was thinking it's a leak in the intake or something, as the throttle body closes and boost has no wear to go, it's leaking out from someplace. The car idles at about 15" vac. I don't hear any escaping boost while I'm on the gas - I only hear it after a left off.

I know this is pretty vague, and I'll probably get a "check your hoses" answer. Which is fine, and something I need to do for sure. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and knew of a particular place I should start.

Thanks in advance!
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

Re: Weird "Pssh" noise when I lift off Throttle

Not familiar with the CSXs, is this a blow through setup?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

It's probably surge.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    It's probably surge.
    Almost a certainty.

Also, Scott, it is good to see you back on the board.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Yes, with a cone filter its the sound of your intake chage (boost psi) getting shoved back thru your turbo when the throttle closes.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Agreed...

Pshhh Pshh Psh is definitely compressor surge. LOL, but I can hear it as I read that! Getting a BOV will eliminate the surge.

Thanks for the replies!
    Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Almost a certainty.

Also, Scott, it is good to see you back on the board.
    Thanks, it's been a looong time - long enough to see that there is now a "new" tuner we have available, the MP Tuner. I'll have to start reading up on that

Quote Originally Posted by prepared View Post
    Agreed...

Pshhh Pshh Psh is definitely compressor surge. LOL, but I can hear it as I read that! Getting a BOV will eliminate the surge.
    Okay, regarding the surge. So this may very well be the issue. However, I have ran the car for quite a while with a cone filter, but am only now hearing this. Also, I have run the car with a BOV - I still hear it. I hear the BOV sound, and then I'll hear the "Pssssh pssh psh." I then took the BOV off to "simplify" the plumbing in an attempt to isolate the noise.

Sooo, not saying it isn't surge, but it didn't go away when I was using a BOV...

Some additional info that I should have mentioned - I am running a ported exhaust man., TU 3" sv and a 3" exhaust with no cat.
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

boostaholic

your BOV isnt either adjusted properly os its not working, what kind of bov is???

Also, what IC do you have? What piping?

The total volume of air in the IC and piping has to evacuate through the BOV before surging back to the compressor. More piping or larger IC means more air that has to be evacuated. Is the BOV big enough?

Quote Originally Posted by 22shelby View Post
    your BOV isnt either adjusted properly os its not working, what kind of bov is???
    It's an HKS SSQV. There really isn't any adjustments that need to be made. I also have an unmodded mitsu that I could try. The HKS is new. The mitsu I've run for several years now. So I can try the mitsu - and if I still hear that noise, then it's got to be something else (as in I didn't hear that noise with the mitsu before).

Quote Originally Posted by prepared View Post
    Also, what IC do you have? What piping?

The total volume of air in the IC and piping has to evacuate through the BOV before surging back to the compressor. More piping or larger IC means more air that has to be evacuated. Is the BOV big enough?
    Stock TII IC in stock location. Stock 2-1/4 piping. Running at about 12 psi right now.
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

Garrett booster

i heard the same thing you are hearing now on my 89 daytona but it was so quiet that most of my friends didnt even hear it. i now have and HKS ssqv and it went away, but then again the bov could be covering up the noise. lol

Alright, now I'm confused. When I got home, I put the mitsu BOV on the car and went for a drive, and damned if the Pssh Psh noise went away. I'm pretty sure it went away and not that the BOV was covering it up.

So this means it is indeed compressor surge?

Next, I need to try it again with the SSQV BOV. And if I hear that stupid noise, that means the SSQV is not venting the boost fast enough? Assuming that is indeed the case - does that even make sense? It's a way better BOV than the mitsu one, and it's dual staged. How can it not be lifting fast enough? Anybody with experience here using this BOV?
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

turbo addict

for sure compressor surge, which is bad times, is it a "REAL" hks or knock off? doesnt really matter, but what does is how much vacuum your motor is making. when my motor started to get tired it only made like 14" of vac, which wasnt enough to engauge bov fast enough or long enough. the plus with the mistu bov is that it engauges very quickly because the bov is accuated with boost and vacuum when not modified.

Quote Originally Posted by mcglsr2 View Post
    Alright, now I'm confused. When I got home, I put the mitsu BOV on the car and went for a drive, and damned if the Pssh Psh noise went away. I'm pretty sure it went away and not that the BOV was covering it up.

So this means it is indeed compressor surge?

Next, I need to try it again with the SSQV BOV. And if I hear that stupid noise, that means the SSQV is not venting the boost fast enough? Assuming that is indeed the case - does that even make sense? It's a way better BOV than the mitsu one, and it's dual staged. How can it not be lifting fast enough? Anybody with experience here using this BOV?
    The SSQV is adjustable. You may need to loosen it up some so it can more freely vent to the atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    for sure compressor surge, which is bad times, is it a "REAL" hks or knock off? doesnt really matter, but what does is how much vacuum your motor is making. when my motor started to get tired it only made like 14" of vac, which wasnt enough to engauge bov fast enough or long enough. the plus with the mistu bov is that it engauges very quickly because the bov is accuated with boost and vacuum when not modified.
    It's a real one, not a knock-off. The motor is pulling about 14 to 15" vac, so maybe that's the issue? I also have a filter inline to the BOV - not sure what it's for but the instructions said to install it...

The SSQV is adjustable. You may need to loosen it up some so it can more freely vent to the atmosphere.
    cordes, my man, I have not the clue on how to adjust it. I didn't think they were adjustable. I'll have to do some reading/research on that...

Edit - thinking about it, I think maybe the early ones were adjustable? This one is the version 2 of the SSQV I believe... here are some pics of it:

Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

You are right. It doesn't look as though the second generation ones are adjustable. What vac source do you have it hooked up to? Perhaps a better feed would react more quickly and powerfully?

You are right. It doesn't look as though the second generation ones are adjustable. What vac source do you have it hooked up to? Perhaps a better feed would react more quickly and powerfully?
    I've got it hooked up to a vacuum block which sits between the intake manifold and brake booster. There are other feeds coming off this block - boost gauge and MBCs.

So the thought is that the BOV isn't getting enough vac? Why is it that the mitsu one works fine? Just a difference in manufacturing?
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

i'm not very familiar with those bov's, but i know that the tial ones are adjustable by changing the spring. do the newer hks units possibly work the same way? if so, you may be able to put a lighter spring in to loosen it up.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92spiritrt View Post
    i'm not very familiar with those bov's, but i know that the tial ones are adjustable by changing the spring. do the newer hks units possibly work the same way? if so, you may be able to put a lighter spring in to loosen it up.
    Some of the earlier ones had a bolt with a jam nut that you could set the preload on the spring cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Some of the earlier ones had a bolt with a jam nut that you could set the preload on the spring cup.
    yah, apparently this one does not.
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast