Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser XE coming back

Re: Laser XE coming back

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    BTW it seems you guys are missing something. Warrens setup puts out 16v even at 9.75 volts Battery voltage. This keeps his car consistent.

But if Reeves system does not maintain voltage, that is a bad thing. The megasquirt ECU has a specific setting for Dwell time (coil) based on battery voltage. You drop to 10 volts and there is a HUGE decrease in coil output, which is why megasquirt uses a correction table

Here is how the table breaks down for the coil (basic settings that you can change if you want to).
    6v 500% correction
    8v 248% correction
    10v 168% correction
    12v 128% correction
    14v 102% correction
    16v 88% correction (Warren Land)

And my experience is that Megasquirt developers are complete nerds who LOVE this type of stuff more then making HP etc. They get this stuff right. They probably have corrections for other things but don't give you ability to change it. On the MS, messing with the dwell can either nuke your coil circuit in the ECU or melt the coil, and I those are usually cheap things to replace. Nobody wants to destroy injectors etc.

The coil is an extreme example but everything in your EFI changes when voltage changes.

When 0.5MS of injector timing can be the difference between boom and zoom, do you want to chance it?
    And the obvious problem will be that fuel pump output drops HUGE when voltage drops. So combine that with everything else and
    Another thing I noticed while datalogging MS is that it measures ignition timing % of error. I ever even thought of such a thing. Just another issue to keep in mind.

For a slow car, who cares, but the more HP you make per displacement, the finer edge you tread.

Right now I am using an oldschool regulator and it keeps the voltage right at 14-14.1
    Opps, Ondonti beat me to the draw.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

An alternative is to regulate for 12.0-12.6V. You won't charge the battery but you maintain fully-charged battery voltage on the system. Still burning some HP, but not as much because the charging load for the battery is no longer there. Shoot for slightly below that and you are off-loading some duty to the battery. You could even be clever and switch back to full charging voltage at idle and/or close throttle.

Just a thought.

It sounds like the Accuvolt is a big DC-to-DC convertor (SMPS) that has a big charge-pump. Just a note that as the input voltage from the battery drops the current demand on it will go up. In other words, a dying battery has to supply more amps than a fully charged one for a given amount of current coming out of the thing.

Just FYI...cool device though.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar View Post
    It sounds like the Accuvolt is a big DC-to-DC convertor (SMPS) that has a big charge-pump. Just a note that as the input voltage from the battery drops the current demand on it will go up. In other words, a dying battery has to supply more amps than a fully charged one for a given amount of current coming out of the thing.

Yup Russ, You are right, Seems like getting something for nothing untill you realize the batt. I'm using will deliver 1800amps dead shorted. They dont say how long untill discharge @ dead short (not very long) The Accuvolt just 'manages' the discharge rate to what ever the system load requires till Batt is down to 9.75V
    I only need the batt. to last a few starts, burnout, 9.85 sec run( hehe), and back to the hotdog stand. I always recharged between runs anyway.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

An alternative is to regulate for 12.0-12.6V. You won't charge the battery but you maintain fully-charged battery voltage on the system. Still burning some HP, but not as much because the charging load for the battery is no longer there. Shoot for slightly below that and you are off-loading some duty to the battery. You could even be clever and switch back to full charging voltage at idle and/or close throttle.

Just a thought.
    Not a bad thought there. Say 13.6 to 14.0 or so at all conditions except WOT. WOT target would be 12.0 to 12.6 or so. I like it

That's exactly what it is. Only downside is that with out an alternator, as soon as the battery starts losing charge, the Accu-Volt demands more current, battery loses more charge, Accu-Volt demands more current, etc..... I could see it killing a slightly under charged battery VERY quickly.

I think Warren is going to be A.OK in that he'll charge between rounds, but it would still be interesting to see just how long the car will run without re-charging the battery.

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Hey Warren......good to talk to you the other day!
    Hope you are still planning on heading to the Mopar World Finals in Norwalk OH!!!!

Will be a GREAT time!

Also trying to talk JT into coming as well as Jon Moore (low 10's Neon)!

Could you imagine 5 FWD Turbo Mopars in one V8 race that are all running in the 10.0 shootout?

Woot!!!

03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's

turbo addict

Awesome car and I love the wiring work. I have something to share that may help with a little more power. I was going through some stuff figuring out what I needed to do for velocity stacks like that. I asked my fab instructor at the college for some help since he has been building race cars for years and he had a interesting comment about the bell mouth shape of the 'stack. He said that when building their midget engines they gained a pretty measurable amount by taking the bell mouth lip and rolling it to the point where it comes back to the runner to be more like a cylindrical bead. He thinks that doing this helped pull some of the stalled air off the floor of the plenum.

Like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Streicher << that was my instructor.

I just thought I would let you know, Keep up the good work
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Mopar World Finals!!!

03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

How the $#!T did I miss this? Great to hear you fired it up Warren!

Can hardly wait to see it gooooo!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    How the $#!T did I miss this? Great to hear you fired it up Warren!

Can hardly wait to see it gooooo!
    Put your clutch in and join us at Mopar World Finals in Norwalk! Info is in the events/racing section.

03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    Put your clutch in and join us at Mopar World Finals in Norwalk! Info is in the events/racing section.
    dude, your killing me! If you only knew how bad I wanted to make SDAC this year! Sometimes I wish I could win a lottery so I could just travel around racing, but the reality is that there has been more stuff going on in the background over the last few years than normal, and I'm the kind of personality that has to get the ground level work done first, before I go out and enjoy myself.

Having said that, I'm already planning for SDAC next year, so hopefully No excusses!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Warren - is this the car that had the traction bar setup on the sway bar? Do you still run that? Any long-term conclusions about it?
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Warren - is this the car that had the traction bar setup on the sway bar? Do you still run that? Any long-term conclusions about it?
    Same car complete different setup. To this day, my best 60 ft.s were with the torque link (traction bar) and strapped front suspension. I really didnt take the time to fine tune the system, but it worked. On a bad track it could go into tire shake and break axles. On a good track that wasnt a problem.
    I had to stop using it cause at my power level it was too much stress on the engine block. I always thought it would work best with a trans brake or a manual trans.
    I think it would be worth the effort on a car like your stocker if it is legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    Same car complete different setup. To this day, my best 60 ft.s were with the torque link (traction bar) and strapped front suspension. I really didnt take the time to fine tune the system, but it worked. On a bad track it could go into tire shake and break axles. On a good track that wasnt a problem.
    I had to stop using it cause at my power level it was too much stress on the engine block. I always thought it would work best with a trans brake or a manual trans.
    I'm going to try and build one like it this winter. It's a little fuzzy on whether or not it's legal. Traction bars definitely ARE legal. So are torque straps. I could classify this either way to the tech officials. I'm hoping they simply don't notice it. The problem will be that it's FWD, so they won't understand what it's for. And, it might be hard to convince them it should be legal.

I think I want to make it symmetrical, though. The arm welded to the sway bar should be in the middle for even distribution of the reaction force to the wheels. I'll have to make a bracket to on the back of the engine/trans to mount the link to.

I don't have a trans brake, I brake torque the car up to about 5psi boost when I launch. The problem I have with the car isn't going fast enough - it's putting the car into bracket mode. I can't seem to get it off the line with any consistency. I'm hoping this will help - along with a spool...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post

I don't have a trans brake, I brake torque the car up to about 5psi boost when I launch. The problem I have with the car isn't going fast enough - it's putting the car into bracket mode. I can't seem to get it off the line with any consistency. I'm hoping this will help - along with a spool...
    Get your turbonator cal working properly,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

It works properly! The 2-step just doesn't hold RPM accurately enough for me. I want to get the spark-cut working, I think it will be much better for racing.

OK, sorry, thread hijack over...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Rampage16V's Avatar

I didn't realize any gain form this. If the wheels are being pushed down from the engine loading then the car will be coming up ..then the centre of gravity would become higher and more weight will come off the front end when the weight transfer from the launch takes place. Maybe its just so little it doesn't matter much or Maybe the intial push helps with initial bite...Just thinking out load

Dean Stillie
    87 Shelby Z 2.4 Turbo 9.06@146.05
    82 Rampage 2.4 Turbo 10.14@138.02

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    What was your 60' with the straps and w/o the bar mod? I think the straps added most of the benefit. Without the straps, I think this would be damgerous in a stick car.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Because of the windage screen and crank scraper I run I tend to have higher than normal oil pump/intermediat shaft gear wear. Just about lost my engine to this problem but I caught it in time. I developed a small oil leak in my oil pan so since I had to remove it I did a gear inspection and found them both in poor shape.
    So I hope this is the fix. It has to be an improvement over splash oiling. I drilled two .031 holes 180 degrees apart from the gear root to the center of the gear shaft, then gun drilled from the shaft end to intersect with the the gear holes, then drilled a feed hole thru the brg. journal and plugged the end of the shaft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil feed holes.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	26698   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	journal feed.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	26699   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gun drill.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	26700   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cap plug.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	26701  

Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast