Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser XE coming back

turbo addict

Re: Laser XE coming back

simply poping the turbo coolant line at the rubber section at the end of the head sent my buddy's charger into a perfect 360* spin on an off ramp one night so yeah , better to puke up than down

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Enter the dual downpipe. Spinning end to end down the track blind :P

I have not seen many actually aimed towards the drivers needed visual space. I don't think people want even without failures.
    What I meant by that was, I didn't see any significant increase in danger by pushing half the exhaust out the side and to the rear. And, If I am already spinning in oil, I am out of control anyway.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Warren, could you elaborate on your earlier post which I saw today regarding your engine build mistake? I'm guessing a silly mistake to you is something that I may even think is a great idea at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Warren, could you elaborate on your earlier post which I saw today regarding your engine build mistake? I'm guessing a silly mistake to you is something that I may even think is a great idea at the time.
    It was a embarrassing assembly mistake I had the engine all assembled, while I was checking cam timing with the degree wheel and the timing belt off, turning the crank with a 2ft. ratchet.....when the crank stopped dead in its tracks...I forgot it is a interference engine with this cam. thought about it a while and concluded I couldn't have bent a valve just turning it with a bar and went about installing the engine and testing at airport.
    Was doing a leak-down test the other night and found air blowing out #4 intake @$&%)@!!!. removed valve spring and discovered bent, sticking valve, and chewed up and chafed retainer/locks. IT WAS ABOUT TO SWALLOW A VALVE!!!
    Called Manley and they were nice enough to agree to make me one valve, YA!! Lesson learned.....Just more work and another setback.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Wow, that was a close one. I wouldn't have thought that they would bend so easily.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

They bend easily when you have a cheater bar on the crank. They don't bend easily with a 'normal' ratchet. Good thing it was caught early! I'd hate to hear of that head being damaged..

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

how much more power is it going to make now that all the valves are sealing???

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    how much more power is it going to make now that all the valves are sealing???
    Well, that's a pretty easy Q to answer, so as long as Warren doesn't mind, I think I'll field it myself. The one cyl itself will make approx 14.68 More WHP, as the "leak" was only in the 3-9% range. But the balance brought back to the whole mtr will bring over all WHP up around 35WHP. (14.68 + (3 x 7) = 34.68 rounded)

Of course, this IS a rough guestimate and based on over-all WHP being in the 700 range to begin with...........

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    What I meant by that was, I didn't see any significant increase in danger by pushing half the exhaust out the side and to the rear. And, If I am already spinning in oil, I am out of control anyway.
    This was a bit of sarcasm since I don't mind a hood exhaust. Seemed funny to create a dual threat downpipe :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    It was a embarrassing assembly mistake I had the engine all assembled, while I was checking cam timing with the degree wheel and the timing belt off, turning the crank with a 2ft. ratchet.....when the crank stopped dead in its tracks...I forgot it is a interference engine with this cam. thought about it a while and concluded I couldn't have bent a valve just turning it with a bar and went about installing the engine and testing at airport.
    Was doing a leak-down test the other night and found air blowing out #4 intake @$&%)@!!!. removed valve spring and discovered bent, sticking valve, and chewed up and chafed retainer/locks. IT WAS ABOUT TO SWALLOW A VALVE!!!
    Called Manley and they were nice enough to agree to make me one valve, YA!! Lesson learned.....Just more work and another setback.
    I have done this before...no bent valves yet........I get paranoid enough using a piston stop on my degree kit though. Feel like I should put some impact tape on the end of that thing and risk losing it inside.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

[QUOTE=Ondonti;1051057] dual threat downpipe :P QUOTE]

Hey, that's what I will call it....Dual threat downpipe, or maybe a "up-down pipe" One thing for sure, It really sounds COOL!

Hybrid booster

Mad skills and beautiful work - could make posters of the pics.Would luv to hear what she sounds like

UPDATE:Installed bigger injectors and fuel pump, and built this "wheelie bar" Will hit the track as soon as I can get a long weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0010.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	334.6 KB 
ID:	54793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0011.JPG 
Views:	194 
Size:	331.6 KB 
ID:	54794   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0012.JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	331.4 KB 
ID:	54795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0013.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	339.1 KB 
ID:	54796   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0014.JPG 
Views:	373 
Size:	339.6 KB 
ID:	54797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0015.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	336.3 KB 
ID:	54798  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0016.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	340.3 KB 
ID:	54799  

Good grief. Warren, your fabrication skills are amazing. Looks great.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Superb fabrication. Check
    Another Stramer innovation. Check.
    Envy of all us TM.com'rs. Check again

Might be the lighting but I cant see how you adjust intial wheel height? Is the undercar bar hiem joint threaded into the lower rod? I think that's what I see. Fantastic

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

AWESOME!! Can hardly wait for results

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster

While the wheelie bar looks awesome, anyone care to explain why a FWD car needs a "wheelie" bar? I've seen them on other TDs, like Slowe's shadow, but I never really understood what it was for. To keep it from squatting too much and rocking back during launch?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTurbo View Post
    While the wheelie bar looks awesome, anyone care to explain why a FWD car needs a "wheelie" bar? I've seen them on other TDs, like Slowe's shadow, but I never really understood what it was for. To keep it from squatting too much and rocking back during launch?
    If you look closely, I think Warren's anyway is linked to rear axle in such a way that it will push the wheel down as the rear tries to squat. It transfers load from the rear tires to the wheelie bar, essentially extending the wheelbase and keeping load on the front tires.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Amazing as always Warren! Cannot wait to hear results!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTurbo View Post
    A wheelie bar on a front drive or rear drive car perform the same function; they stop pitch rotation. At the moment of launch the front of the body rises up unloading the front tires as the rear of the body tends to squat.
    For a wheelie bar to be effective on a fwd the wheelie bar wheel needs to be touching, or nearly touching the pavement on launch. or if you can get away with it, it can even be preloaded.
    Also, as the car accelerates down track, and the front tires grow in diameter, more body weight is retained over the front drive wheels because the wheelie bar continues to resists rearward weight transfer and front body rise, keeping the front tires hooked-up.
    It will be trial and error to see what adjustment it likes. Or I could just ask Brian Slowe. Maybe he will comment.

Hybrid booster

Good explanations guys, thank you. That is about what I thought but just wanted to be sure since I don't see it that often.