Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser XE coming back

Re: Laser XE coming back

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Superb fabrication. Check
    Another Stramer innovation. Check.
    Envy of all us TM.com'rs. Check again

Might be the lighting but I cant see how you adjust intial wheel height? Is the undercar bar hiem joint threaded into the lower rod? I think that's what I see. Fantastic
    Looking at the bottom of the lower tension tube, the rod end is connected to a square shaft that is inserted into the square tube with the pit pin. That square shaft has four holes for major adjustments, and the lower tension tube with the rod ends is like a turnbuckle for fine adjustments.
    Full range of adjustment is +- 14inches.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    If you look closely, I think Warren's anyway is linked to rear axle in such a way that it will push the wheel down as the rear tries to squat. It transfers load from the rear tires to the wheelie bar, essentially extending the wheelbase and keeping load on the front tires.
    Actually Rob the bars are nowhere connected to the axle, only the body structure, but yes, it is essentially a wheelbase extension, And the longer you can make them, the more effective they will be. So long as you can construct them to be ridged and not deflect or bend.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

turbo addict

Can also act as a wheelbase extension. Wheelbase is a way to reduce weight transfer from the front to the rear.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    Actually Rob the bars are nowhere connected to the axle, only the body structure, but yes, it is essentially a wheelbase extension, And the longer you can make them, the more effective they will be. So long as you can construct them to be ridged and not deflect or bend.
    The one pic is a little dark, I wasn't really sure. Nice work anyway...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Wow, wow, wow,

Is the roller wheel rated for 170 mph?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    A wheelie bar on a front drive or rear drive car perform the same function; they stop pitch rotation. At the moment of launch the front of the body rises up unloading the front tires as the rear of the body tends to squat.
    For a wheelie bar to be effective on a fwd the wheelie bar wheel needs to be touching, or nearly touching the pavement on launch. or if you can get away with it, it can even be preloaded.
    Also, as the car accelerates down track, and the front tires grow in diameter, more body weight is retained over the front drive wheels because the wheelie bar continues to resists rearward weight transfer and front body rise, keeping the front tires hooked-up.
    It will be trial and error to see what adjustment it likes. Or I could just ask Brian Slowe. Maybe he will comment.
    Is it possible to rely on sidewall sag to help bring the traction bar off the ground and then connect when the tires grow and weight transfers a bit or can you do this all with weight transfer? BTW, will the preload become excessive and unsafe for handling at the top end if set up wrong?
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Is it possible to rely on sidewall sag to help bring the traction bar off the ground and then connect when the tires grow and weight transfers a bit or can you do this all with weight transfer? BTW, will the preload become excessive and unsafe for handling at the top end if set up wrong?
    Good questions. They are the same questions I have. This is new to me so I plan on testing it very carefully. It was a lot of work to build but I made it so it can be detached and removed in about 5 seconds by pulling two pins. (if it doesn't work out)
    How it will handle on the top end with the live front axle?? I don't know. I'm glad I still have full size rear tires.
    BTW, the entire unit including all hardware only weighs 16lbs 14.5 ounces.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

It looks absolutely great Warren! I wouldn't be surprised if you had more than 20hrs just in the rear wheel/bearing mount detail. Thanks for keeping the bar high.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    Wow, wow, wow,

Is the roller wheel rated for 170 mph?
    Not only that, it incorporates a .0025 hp electric motor. Every last bit helps right!
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Finished building my new trans today, so I thought it would be a good time to update my project log and dump some photos to my archive with some commentary.
    My old trans. had almost 400 runs on it and I figured it was time to open it up for a looky-see and update. I had also planned on some added strengthening to the case when the time came, so here is what I came up with... Not many original ideas(to me anyway) but some parts, and techniques I had thought about building for a long time. First the case itself. A lot of guys have welded gussets to the pinion housing to strengthen it, but I like to avoid welding in the case because of distortion and having the aluminum soften near the weld heat zone.
    I tested on some old cases and just didn't like what I was seeing, so I elected to bolt in a gusset, form fitted and then JB welded in place.I also shot blasted the entire inside and outside of the case with silica balls after grinding off all sharp edges and casting flaws. I do this to help eliminate crack propagation. The red finish is Glyptal, to seal up, and hold any silica that might not have washed out.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0007.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	59106
    While I never had any gear breakage, I wanted to give the factory gears every chance of survival before I resort to having expensive custom gears made, so I sent several sets of gears to an aerospace co. in Witchita Kansas for shotpeening (this company does gearbox mods for helicopters and such), and then I had them REM finished... http://www.remchem.com/services/benefits/Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0013.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	279.3 KB 
ID:	59107
    I had been running a welded diff. for years, and it was trouble free, but what a pain-in-the---- to drive, so I sprung for a Pelequin posi. Should help free up some MPH. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0009.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	227.6 KB 
ID:	59108

I sourced a 300M(904 spline) input shaft from David Rose, Thank you Dave and Dean! Sent my race converter to A1 Racing Transmissions for a turbine re-spline and complete update..These guys were great to work with. http://www.a-1perf.com/ Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0011.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	243.3 KB 
ID:	59109

Machined some case support girdles, and transfer gear cover/support that will have room for beefier gears if the need arises. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0001.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	214.8 KB 
ID:	59110Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0014 (2).jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	59111

Other than a few other minor internal mods, that's about it....except a big thanks to Rob (aka Shadow) for keeping me in factory cores. If this unit works half as good as the last one, I will be happy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0015 (2).jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	246.6 KB 
ID:	59112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0016 (2).jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	236.1 KB 
ID:	59113   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0017 (2).jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	59114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0020.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	59115  
    Last edited by Warren Stramer; 08-08-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

You have proven that factory produced parts when refined and given the utmost attention to detail can be capable of reliably supporting power well in excess of what they were ever intended for.

Excellence as always.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    You have proven that factory produced parts when refined and given the utmost attention to detail can be capable of reliably supporting power well in excess of what they were ever intended for.

Excellence as always.
    Really? I seriously just chalked it up to dumb luck. I only ran a stock four disc front clutch @ 115psi line pressure never slipped. Input shaft was tweeked and ready to twist off Clutch steels were getting burn marks, converter was wore out (about 15% slip). what finally made me rebuild it was the low/reverse band anchor support broke the case, but I still had reverse so I ran it that way last four trips to the track. Started seeing aluminum fillings from the broke casting rubbing on the park gear.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Fantastic attention to detail as always Warren, sexy results too

I'm betting you didn't really *expect* 400 passes without breakage?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

It seems there are plenty here who cant figure out how to make their stuff last at stock or even mild power levels and your well beyond that without blowing up things.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Fantastic attention to detail as always Warren, sexy results too

I'm betting you didn't really *expect* 400 passes without breakage?
    Thanks Alan, when I built the first trans. in 2003 I thought It would only have to take about 300HP, I thought if I could only get into the 11's I would never want to go any faster...... I never had it out of the car except to change a crankshaft. Like I always said, more luck than brains........

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    It seems there are plenty here who cant figure out how to make their stuff last at stock or even mild power levels and your well beyond that without blowing up things.
    Knocks on wood

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Lol luck over brains, riiight. You can be humble if you want Warren, it's a good quality of yours but don't attempt to make it sound like your level of prep isn't at least 10X what the rest of us go perform. Your builds last for a reason I think a pretty standard example of your prep and planning is the dozen or so blocks you sonic checked before you picked ONE to build for your current motor. I'm thinking that there's only a handful of builders of any brand that go thru that much selection process. One look at the innovations as well as fit and finish on your new transmission case demonstrates what I'm talking about

BTW that guy Alan is dead and gone. AJ has survived. I know it's kinda weird to do a name change after 45 years but sometimes we gotta roll with what life throws our way.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

It is a great pleasure to see updates and such attention to details.
    And the results speak for themselves. I need to go through and read all 84 pages and get more familiar with your innovations.
    Fantastic work!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Great update and beautiful work (as always) Warren! I absolutely LOVE the case bracing. You've got the gears turning in my head...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Warren your abilities and your car impress me!!! And I consider myself a person that is not easily impressed!