Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser XE coming back

Re: Laser XE coming back

[QUOTE=turbovanman;855354]Just curious, sheesh.

QUOTE]

Sorry Simon, My doctor says its the caffeine!
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    Why don't you just hit it with some nawz yo!?
    #1 It would throw his tune out and actually make him Go Slower (even though it wouldn't appear that way)

#2 He'd need a 200 shot just to Try and keep up with the GTX35r

#3 Once paid for the turbo is FREE power, NOS you just keep paying

#4 That would be Cheating, and we all know Warren Doesn't Cheat!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    I'm thinking it was fatigue, crank was cast not forged, came out of a high mileage wreck, and then I put about 350-400 drag runs on it.
    I dont see how it can be related to the trigger wheel, as that is about 10 times lighter than all the pullies the production cars run.
    so now I made this new trigger and hub, even lighter....................
    Wow, that's the lightest looking one I've seen. IIRC the ones which I've seen fail have been bolted to stock type pulley setups.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer

Sorry Simon, My doctor says its the caffeine!
    I forgive you, now answer my questions,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I forgive you, now answer my questions,
    When I built my header, I welded in a pressure tap port and bought a gauge and high tep. hose to install in car but never got around to installing it UNTILL (because of Shadows urging) the morning after I went 10.21. I put the guage in in the pits and as warming up the car and discovered the busted crank, so I didnt get to see what the BP is. It is still in there so I will find out soon.
    Any other questions Simon?
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

When I built my header, I welded in a pressure tap port and bought a gauge and high tep. hose to install in car but never got around to installing it UNTILL (because of Shadows urging) the morning after I went 10.21. I put the guage in in the pits and as warming up the car and discovered the busted crank, so I didnt get to see what the BP is. It is still in there so I will find out soon.
    Any other questions Simon?
    Lol.

Yeah, do you think you can spool a .82 housing at a decent RPM?

Everyone seems to think the GT turbo is old hat, Precision is da bomb, blah blah blah, so simply curious why you chose it.

I can't remember, what stall is your converter?

Thanks as always and fingers/toes crossed you hit the 9's,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

I know this is a ballpark statement, but if Gary D. could somehow spool his .82 with the 60-1 that I think it was... on a 2.2, then I am sure Warren can do it as his induction setup is as good as it gets until someone surpasses him.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

I know this is a ballpark statement, but if Gary D. could somehow spool his .82 with the 60-1 that I think it was... on a 2.2, then I am sure Warren can do it as his induction setup is as good as it gets until someone surpasses him.
    Well a 60-1 can be had in many flavours so unless you know the turbine a/r, that is a blanket statement,

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Well a 60-1 can be had in many flavours so unless you know the turbine a/r, that is a blanket statement,
    I am pretty sure it wasn't a .48 or a .63... and would bet it was a .82 judging by the hours it took to spool on the dyno.

I see .82 housings on bigger turbos on 16v VWs, Hondas, etc making peak boost at 4,800 to 5,000 rpms... (another blanket statement I know) but the difference from Warren's setup and other 8v setups is that he most likely makes peak power well above 6k, so he has some usable rpm, so probably similar to what I saw with the 16v .82 cars. I know this is only a gut assumption w/out real factual data... I'm sure Ondonti can chime in with real examples.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

I am pretty sure it wasn't a .48 or a .63... and would bet it was a .82 judging by the hours it took to spool on the dyno.

I see .82 housings on bigger turbos on 16v VWs, Hondas, etc making peak boost at 4,800 to 5,000 rpms... (another blanket statement I know) but the difference from Warren's setup and other 8v setups is that he most likely makes peak power well above 6k, so he has some usable rpm, so probably similar to what I saw with the 16v .82 cars. I know this is only a gut assumption w/out real factual data... I'm sure Ondonti can chime in with real examples.
    That's the reason Honda's etc with 1.5's and 1.6's can spool GT35R's with .82 housings, is they rev to the moon.

Lol.

Yeah, do you think you can spool a .82 housing at a decent RPM?

Everyone seems to think the GT turbo is old hat, Precision is da bomb, blah blah blah, so simply curious why you chose it.

I can't remember, what stall is your converter?

Thanks as always and fingers/toes crossed you hit the 9's,
    Highest stall rpm Ive recorded is 5500rpm.

And, I dont know if I can spool it. But if I can and I think it will, then it should be the bomb. I think the header will be a big help. Also, it takes the right convertor.
    I think (on paper anyway)the GTX will spool faster than any comparable turbine from Precision, I like the Precision stuff, I just cant get it configured. exactly how I want it.
    Only one way to find out.
    Last edited by Warren Stramer; 10-06-2011 at 01:39 PM.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    #1 It would throw his tune out and actually make him Go Slower (even though it wouldn't appear that way)

#5 put the big turbo and when it's out of power, THEN squirt it

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Man I remember seeing this car in person for the first time when coming through ND to visit Warren on my run from Montana. I didn't want to leave the shop because the car was so beautiful. Amazing, simply amazing work.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Highest stall rpm Ive recorded is 5500rpm.

And, I dont know if I can spool it. But if I can and I think it will, then it should be the bomb. I think the header will be a big help. Also, it takes the right convertor.
    I think (on paper anyway)the GTX will spool faster than any comparable turbine from Precision, I like the Precision stuff, I just cant get it configured. exactly how I want it.
    Only one way to find out.
    The converter will help for sure, 5500 should be just right. I am at 4500 and its just getting the job done but that was with full exhaust, I'll find out how much the cut-out helps this Friday, weather depending.

Can't wait to see the results,

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

MUST RESIST NEED TO COMMENT......

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

I don't see how it can be related to the trigger wheel, as that is about 10 times lighter than all the pullies the production cars run.
    so now I made this new trigger and hub, even lighter....................
    Not that it would matter in the short run (if 300+ passes is a short run!), but I did notice the wheel doesn't seem to be balanced as there are the required missing teeth on one side and no material removed on the opposite side or weight added on the missing tooth side to compensate...

I can't imagine that little bit would be enough, but if the RPMs are high enough, maybe?...

Or it was just a part living way outside its normal "comfort zone".

Mike

EDIT: Never mind, I just noticed the picture I was basing my comments on was the new trigger wheel, if it took that long with the other, heavier one, this one will live forever and a day with a forged crank!
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Not that it would matter in the short run (if 300+ passes is a short run!), but I did notice the wheel doesn't seem to be balanced as there are the required missing teeth on one side and no material removed on the opposite side or weight added on the missing tooth side to compensate...

I can't imagine that little bit would be enough, but if the RPMs are high enough, maybe?...

Or it was just a part living way outside its normal "comfort zone".

Mike

EDIT: Never mind, I just noticed the picture I was basing my comments on was the new trigger wheel, if it took that long with the other, heavier one, this one will live forever and a day with a forged crank!
    The original trigger wheel was balanced to within a .25 gram, the new one was spun up and just happened to be perfect as-is didnt have to add or subtract............more luck than brains, I machined it on my rotory table.

The original trigger wheel was balanced to within a .25 gram, the new one was spun up and just happened to be perfect as-is didn't have to add or subtract............more luck than brains, I machined it on my rotory table.
    Yeah, once I realized that the one I was looking at wasn't on the car when the failure occurred I realized that it really isn't enough weight or angular momentum to cause a problem, but thinking it was on the car when it happened, I thought it might have been a factor. I've had cases where resonance have broken stuff that "shouldn't" have been just to look at it, especially since it wasn't at max RPM or anything. They were cranks also...

I felt like it would be better say something than keep it to myself if it might have been a possibility, which obviously it couldn't have been!

Best of luck as always!

Mike

- Edmund Burke

turbo addict

The original trigger wheel was balanced to within a .25 gram, the new one was spun up and just happened to be perfect as-is didnt have to add or subtract............more luck than brains, I machined it on my rotory table.
    Are you using a CNC rotor table? Or just hand crank style? We have a rotary table, and a lathe attachment table that can be used with different position plates. Basically you bolt on these plates, and there are holes in them at certain angles to lock in the position. I just have not figured out how to make it usable. It is a 80's bridgeport series II CNC machine we retrofitted to new electronics, and MACHIII software.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

And, I dont know if I can spool it. But if I can and I think it will, then it should be the bomb.
    I'll say this right now. I know that the Charger could spool that turbo, so Warren will spool it No problem!

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    MUST RESIST NEED TO COMMENT......

Mike
    Damn! Thought I was going to come home to a bunch of winers when I posted that! lol You guys must be slowly growing up...........

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!