Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser XE coming back

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: Laser XE coming back

I believe I can check out a sonic tester from the lab at work. I'll check next week. If I can, I'll measure the wall of the 2 Tall Deck blocks I have (supposed to be thicker) and the 2-3 common blocks and maybe even the early T1 blocks I have.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

So which Block did you end up using? Late TBI or TIII?
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    I believe I can check out a sonic tester from the lab at work. I'll check next week. If I can, I'll measure the wall of the 2 Tall Deck blocks I have (supposed to be thicker) and the 2-3 common blocks and maybe even the early T1 blocks I have.
    Good, But if you do that, MAKE SURE you calibrate the tester to the sonic velocity of each block you test to make sure it repeats and matches what you measure on a test spot to within .005 of your digital caliper.
    I actually measured every sq.in. of most of the bores. Yes it took a long time.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Okay Warren,
    Looking at these pistons has me scratching my head a bit. Don't have a real good look straight on but pretty much look like flat-tops to me. Valve reliefs don't look very large for .600 lift camshaft. Can't remember if your running g-head or swirl. Tops of pistons look alot like 8V TBI (lol). So does this mean that pistons are WAY down the hole or is compression ratio WAY higher than normal? Perhaps a combination of the two? Or are these all secrets? Asymmetrical piston. First I've seen on TD motor.
    Todd, Pistons are only .014 down, static ratio is 8.65:1, piston is dished.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

I can find no positive methode for determining for SURE if a block was cast in Mexico or anywhere else for that matter, just internet conjecture
    its stamped/dot matrix 'printed' on the bellhousing end. The service manual gives a breakdown of what the code means.

turbo addict

Mexican cast blocks have an "C" embossed on the front of the engine on the fairly blank spot underneath the distributor between the oil filter adapter and the front engine mount. I've seen a few myself. I will admit I did not get any codes off of the engines, but I am pretty sure the information behind that marking came from a very reliable inside source.
    Last edited by Reaper1; 03-25-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: correcting information

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Some Great info, as always Warren!

Now if someone in the community could get an accurate sonic map of the SRT 2.4 block we would have an idea of how important cyl wall thickness is and wether or not it will limit the block as some of us reach for the not too far off stars............

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Mexican cast blocks have an "N" embossed on the front of the engine on the fairly blank spot underneath the distributor between the oil filter adapter and the front engine mount. I've seen a few myself. I will admit I did not get any codes off of the engines, but I am pretty sure the information behind that marking came from a very reliable inside source.
    That is the confusing part. The two late 2.5L common blocks I have with the EIN# S stamping (Satillo Mex.) do not have any big letter embossed on the front of the block, nor does the "S" TIII block, no embossed letter.
    Half of the "T" (Trenton) TII blocks have A big B embossed below the dist. and the other three have nothing there.
    I have also read that the Mexico block supposedly should have a C embossed below the dist. couldnt prove it by my findings.
    The TIII Satillo block I have is nice, but the two 2.5's Satillo's are a tighter, smoother casting, even though they are from the same core.

turbo addict
    Maybe they could keep tolerances tight as what Mexico blocks are known for. But that doesn't mean that all the metals were the exact same. Mean as the curing process or that particular batch of metal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    That is the confusing part. The two late 2.5L common blocks I have with the EIN# S stamping (Satillo Mex.) do not have any big letter embossed on the front of the block, nor does the "S" TIII block, no embossed letter.
    Half of the "T" (Trenton) TII blocks have A big B embossed below the dist. and the other three have nothing there.
    I have also read that the Mexico block supposedly should have a C embossed below the dist. couldnt prove it by my findings.
    The TIII Satillo block I have is nice, but the two 2.5's Satillo's are a tighter, smoother casting, even though they are from the same core.
    The mexico cast block I have (93 tbi) doesnt have anything either other than the EIN stamping. I think the whole A, B, C ect thing is more rumor fluff spread by the internet.

Did you put any of the blocks on a scale ?

turbo addict

I have a C block. I always read that they were cast in Mexico but don't know how to tell for sure.

turbo addict

That's right, the supposed marking for the Mexican blocks was the "C"!! OOPS!! I'll see if I can fix my post. It is still interesting that there is no real pattern to that.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    The mexico cast block I have (93 tbi) doesnt have anything either other than the EIN stamping. I think the whole A, B, C ect thing is more rumor fluff spread by the internet.

Here's the weight of my block from my Masi project.

2/28/89 Common Block with mains and headbolts: 98.4#'s

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post

Completely agree Craig. Just like all the different lettering on cylinder heads. R, A/B, etc. Just different molds.

FINALLY! Got my crank back from Winberg. They had it for 7 months. turned out real nice though. Some progress pics................
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forged 2.2 crank 006.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	44872   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forged 2.2 crank 009.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	314.7 KB 
ID:	44873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forged 2.2 crank 001.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	318.3 KB 
ID:	44874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forged 2.2 crank 011.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	317.4 KB 
ID:	44875  

Almost too nice to put oil on. Almost...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Almost too nice to put oil on. Almost...
    If this block lasts half as long as the last one I will be happy. I'm building this one to be safe to any reasonable RPM.

What did you do to the block? Is that just smoothing the casting flash and then bead-blasting? Or is that a coating? Is it going to get an oil-shedding paint?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

What did you do to the block? Is that just smoothing the casting flash and then bead-blasting? Or is that a coating? Is it going to get an oil-shedding paint?
    I ground it all smooth, then blasted it. Next it will be coated with Glyptal.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

FINALLY! Got my crank back from Winberg. They had it for 7 months. turned out real nice though. Some progress pics................
    As usual, moderately OK at best!

If this block lasts half as long as the last one I will be happy. I'm building this one to be safe to any reasonable RPM.
    That's safe beyond all reason to us mortals!

This thread is so interesting to follow. How many people have smoothed out the inside of their block like that? I'm thinking one person so far?