Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser XE coming back

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Re: Laser XE coming back

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post

Now that I got both of your attention, just curious what each of your cars weighs these days?
    I'm completly lost when it comes to weight. If I take the last time I wieghed the car and try and guestimate everything I added or subtracted I get 2587 with me in and Before I started the 9 sec thread/goal. Now I cut things short, but was able to remove 110lbs from the car, so that's 2477lbs, but I would take that with a grain of salt because my original weight was taken on a truck scale. The only way to really know at this point would be to get it on an accurate scale.

It might make sense if I concider that I have another (easy) 90-100lbs to take off this winter and that would put me at about the same weight as Warren and the Charger still has all the street needed stuff on it? I just have a hard time wrapping my head around a G-body being as light/lighter than an L-body! lol

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    Last time on the scales...................Lets see your scale ticket.

JT, dont take my trash talk too serious. I'm just in a smart---- mood today............Like.." next time we race, I wont give you a half second head start, I'll just take off one of my spark plug wires".
    What is putting the left rear balance 100#'s more than the right?

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

New crank in yet?

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    New crank in yet?
    Yup, engines done, just have to bolt in the trans, should be driving tomorrow if I get time.
    Last edited by Warren Stramer; 10-08-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Just crunching some vauge numbers, it seems like you'd need a little less than 500HP to the wheels to achieve your goal, maybe another 25HP or so from where you are at now.. But I'm sure you already knew that!

I am curious what pump you are using in the trans? I understand the latter model Neon pumps are more effeicient, which to means less parisitic HP loss... I have no idea if it would be more or less durable in this application though...

Mike

BTW, love the pan on the trans!
    I've heard of this fabled pump but never seen one yet. I've had dozens of Neon tranny's apart and they all have the regular style. I am hoping one day I'll find one, lol.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I don't think they are much different in appearance, but have a different configuration/number of vanes and/or variable pump volume, which the older 413s surely lack...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    I don't think they are much different in appearance, but have a different configuration/number of vanes and/or variable pump volume, which the older 413s surely lack...

Mike
    They are totally different, the 'fabled" Neon one is a different rotor design, trachoidal, sic, vs gear type teeth in all the other ones.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Hmm, there must be a model year or maybe a recall kit we could use to find these and retrofit ... could probably look for a year where the auto Neons got a better EPA mileage rating ...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Got the XE all assembled and fired it up tonite. Noticed right away it does not vibrate the whole car as much as it used to with the cast crank. I like that. A bit more flywheel effect I suppose.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Smokinn! Your turn bro, lest see that 9!

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Glad it's running.....now where's that 9?

How about now?

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

I just cannot catch a break on the weather this year, I ran today (and maybe will tomorrow) only got to make three 1/4 runs till they switched to 1/8 mile only because of high gusting head winds. Car went 10.15 right out of the trailer, with a 1.583 60ft.,4.31 330ft.,6.55 660., only 135.12 MPH., then backed it up with a 10.140 and identical 1.583 60ft, and a 4.30 330ft.,6.54 660,@135.16. Third run was a pedaling 10.22@135.69 mph.
    Weather tomorrow is for even higher winds, so I don't know for sure if I will even run. Car works good, no problems. will report more when I get home Monday.I Don't think it will go nines against a 20mph wind.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Wow, those are incredible times regardless. Congrats Warren.

Damn, you've broken your record, congrats,

How did it feel with the heavier crank?

Nice work Warren. I'm rooting for ya!

Looks like the extra 10lbs on the crank did Exactly what some were thinking it would do! BTW, NICE 60's!!!!!!!!

We're going to have to start a 1.5 60' club to get others motivated to get their cars to hook better

Took a look at the time slips and we'll have to see when Warren chimes in, but (depending on how the wind was on the 10.21) it looks like the car Might have lost some MPH with that crank change. Will be interesting to see how the conditions compare and If that is true or not.......
    Last edited by Shadow; 10-16-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

I'm Back home now so here is the short version of the weekend racing. Went to Fargo to Top End Dragways,(formerly Interstate Dragways) the same track I won the Q8 at last spring. This time though the traction was much better, but the FREAKING WIND was blowin hard from the wnw@18-22MPH, the track faces straight west. I was only able to make three 1/4 mile runs before they shut it down to 1/8 mile only for safety reasons, as the track runs parallel to a half mile long tree shelter belt on the south side and a 1/4 mile shelter belt on the north side, so when the cars would get past the finish line they would be hit by gusts from the Nwest.
    When I made my Three full track passes the head wind was at about 18mph, so I new it was unlikely I would get into the nines, and the forcast for the next day was for even higher winds so I figured Saturday would be my best chance. I was surprised to even get into the teens.
    I expected the MPH to be off by at least 2mph and it was. But the traction was good, so in the first third of the track before the negetive effects of the wind resistance the car ran very well, but it cost me at least 1.5 tenths overall.

Sunday morning true to form the wind incresed to 22-25mph with higher gusts. I made one 1/8 mile attempt packed up and went to my sons place, I guess I wont be going nines on a 50 trim. I know I have a 9.90s car but I cant prove it. Woulda-coulda-shoulda
    I have one more shot at it if I would trailer to Rock fall Raceway at Eau Claire WI, they are having their last sport compact event in two weeks. I will run it by the War Department, see what she says
    So, a 10.140 is my new PB, for now. Sorry no nines.......yet.

Also, I cannot say what or if the heavy crank helped or hurt the short times, it is hard to quantify because I was trying low pressure in the slicks, and but mostly, because I set my rear axle back in the rearward most position, putting more weight on the front axle. With the weather conditions as they were I dont look at the MPH as an accurate indication of what the power output was. I think the 60fts would have been just as good with the cast crank, but who knows?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new crank install 021.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	317.9 KB 
ID:	34620  
    Last edited by Warren Stramer; 10-17-2011 at 04:55 PM.

I know we are all guilty of changing stuff out before we should but you should really hit 9's first,

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Looks like the extra 10lbs on the crank did Exactly what some were thinking it would do! BTW, NICE 60's!!!!!!!!

We're going to have to start a 1.5 60' club to get others motivated to get their cars to hook better
    Sooo, what's the theory there? I must've missed it. I've been trying hard to get my car off the line consistently. My short times vary by 0.100 on a race weekend. Makes it impossible to dial the car. I dial soft and try to 'feel' how my launches went, but I'm usually wrong and break out.

I run a 2.5, but I happen to have a Tall Deck crank which is quite a bit heavier than a CB 2.5 crank. I have no idea why. It doesn't appear to be forged and there's no obvious places where it's beefier. But, if there's a starting line advantage to running it, I'll consider it for my next shortblock. Which will probably be coming soon (maybe this winter).
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I know we are all guilty of changing stuff out before we should but you should really hit 9's first,
    Completly different in Warrens case. We ALL knew that the turbo was his Major cork from last fall and that his set-up will OUTBREATH most 16v's!

It was in order to give everything a "good testing" and to keep a baseline for everything he changed up until now, but Any turbo from the one hes picked to the Holset I'm running, the 6262, Damn, he could bolt just about ANY turbo bigger than the 50 trim and up to 62mm and go not only right into the 9's, but Deep............

As he has already stated, the car is deff 9 sec capable Right now, to me that's just as good as the 9's he'll be racking up with a proper turbo on there!

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Sooo, what's the theory there? I must've missed it. I've been trying hard to get my car off the line consistently. My short times vary by 0.100 on a race weekend. Makes it impossible to dial the car. I dial soft and try to 'feel' how my launches went, but I'm usually wrong and break out.

I run a 2.5, but I happen to have a Tall Deck crank which is quite a bit heavier than a CB 2.5 crank. I have no idea why. It doesn't appear to be forged and there's no obvious places where it's beefier. But, if there's a starting line advantage to running it, I'll consider it for my next shortblock. Which will probably be coming soon (maybe this winter).
    I think it was that the crank would have little IF any effect on power (more specifically loosing some from heavier recip mass which is a common theory out there) but could give an advantage in weight over the front end and Possibly slow down the PB Just enough to hook a little bit better than before. (mtr reving out a millisecond slower than it use to)

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!