Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser XE coming back

turbo addict

Re: Laser XE coming back

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    The Laser runs 9.8's on a average track with good air, 3000 DA or better, On an exceptional track with really good air 9.6-9.7's. I counted all my 9 sec. time slips, came up with 19 now.

I don't count a 9.68 as my PB because I don't have the complete timeslip. I have not boosted beyond 33psi at any track yet as I am already traction limited, and the car is not yet legal for those times and speed.

I am debating on weather or not too go through all the work and expense to make the car legal to go eights or nines. I have a consistent 9 sec car that seldom breaks anything. what would you all do??

More importantly, what do you want to do?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

I think I would have to add about 50lbs. to make it legal; that would put me about 9.90. But, I can easily remove 50 lbs. off the car by building a super light weight rear axle/brake setup as the stock assembly weighs 102 lbs. I just weighed one. (complete)
    Then the car would be back to the current performance level. Its just that at 63 I'm too lazy.
    Making power is not an issue. getting that power to hook is. I can crank to boost to 55psi.
    I would have to engineer a way to mount wider tires and still have them tucked in the fenders, as I will never have them sticking out.

Someone should just buy this car and finish it.
    get a set of fenders and cut/flare them wider to house wider slicks?

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

boostaholic

Consistent 9 second car, I'd be calling it good there. Job well done.
    MinivanRider

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I've heard you say a few times this will be your last engine. For that reason part of me says I'd have fun with it b/c if you lose your engine we lose you.............the rest of me says let's see all of it!!!

Either way there is no denying you've brought the 8-valve further than anyone thought possible. I will always be inspired by your work.

Hybrid booster

How much Warren?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turboshelbys View Post
    How much Warren?
    x2, wondering what kind of price tag is on a 9-sec TM
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

I would consider any and all offers. Might be cheaper than you think.
    I was also thinking about separating the car into three units. rolling chassis, engine and operating system, and transmission and converter.
    If no interest I will just race it when I get the urge, but what I really want to do is go back to racing RWD V8's before I'm too old to do it anymore.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

turbo addict

I have a real bad itch to buy a Dakota and drop an eagle 5.7 hemi in it with a big single turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    I have a real bad itch to buy a Dakota and drop an eagle 5.7 hemi in it with a big single turbo.
    Yaa, Don't get me wrong, I love these turbo Mopars and continue to buy really nice examples, But I'm kind of burned out from working on the same car for so many years.

I had an option to buy a new SRT Demon, Had the car spec'd out and ready to order; made a deal with Hagerty for insurance and all and at the last minute wifey got cold feet and torpedoed the deal.
    said she could not ride in a $100,000 car...…..Bought her a Grand Cherokee instead. No fun with that
    Like agent 86 used to say. "Missed it by THAT much"
    Last edited by Warren Stramer; 10-28-2018 at 07:35 PM.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

turbo addict

With your skills, you can build a much faster car for less. Although 9's out of the box is cool and less work. I've been wanting to do an a body but I'm leaning towards Dakota. I wanna be able to haul my boat one weekend, then throw some slicks on and run 10's the next weekend.

Hybrid booster

I was also thinking about separating the car into three units. rolling chassis, engine and operating system, and transmission and converter.
    If no interest I will just race it when I get the urge, but what I really want to do is go back to racing RWD V8's before I'm too old to do it anymore.
    We need to talk, when is a good time for a call?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Hybrid booster

Racing v8's is fun:-)

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I think I would have to add about 50lbs. to make it legal; that would put me about 9.90. But, I can easily remove 50 lbs. off the car by building a super light weight rear axle/brake setup as the stock assembly weighs 102 lbs. I just weighed one. (complete)
    Then the car would be back to the current performance level. Its just that at 63 I'm too lazy.
    Making power is not an issue. getting that power to hook is. I can crank to boost to 55psi.
    I would have to engineer a way to mount wider tires and still have them tucked in the fenders, as I will never have them sticking out.

The 24.5x9 tires have gone 7's now. More power with aero downforce on the big end.
    13" rims like Lengel. Wider the better.

King of 2017 on small tire. I didn't pay any attention this year.
    http://blog.diamondracing.net/inside...setting-engine
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

I was at a crossraod a few years back. didn't know what direction to go, lighter car,rwd, turbo v8. but when people come up to me and say man I love your car, stuff like that it makes me think of all the good times I have had with this car and still do. I've been racing the same car for over 20 years and never missed a summer yet. do I get tired of racing the same old car. sometimes but it don't last long. if anything I will make it RWD in a few years. you and your car are one of a kind and we don't want to lose that. Keep the faith and have fun. Norwalk 2019 turbo mopar invasion, hope you can make it.

turbo addict

Racing v8's is fun:-)
    Quit taking your wife's daily to drag strip.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Quit taking your wife's daily to drag strip.
    I got busted hard the first time I took it. She actually sent me a text message as I was driving down the track!!!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ohiorob View Post
    I was at a crossraod a few years back. didn't know what direction to go, lighter car,rwd, turbo v8. but when people come up to me and say man I love your car, stuff like that it makes me think of all the good times I have had with this car and still do. I've been racing the same car for over 20 years and never missed a summer yet. do I get tired of racing the same old car. sometimes but it don't last long. if anything I will make it RWD in a few years. you and your car are one of a kind and we don't want to lose that. Keep the faith and have fun. Norwalk 2019 turbo mopar invasion, hope you can make it.
    X2!!!!!

There are few of us around as it is, and some of us are sitting on our keisters which makes it seem like even Less!!!!!

No way you can be done with the amount of potential still left in your current build Warren. Just like when I almost went auto, that next big step is right around the corner from that next big decision...……….

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster

A very wise man sent me this. Good words of wisdom.

"Whats that about discretion being the better part of valor in some cases?

Myself I'd stop right there as long as the package does what you want it to do. Chasing a number for the sake of chasing the number doesn't sound as much fun as actually driving the car and doing something with it.

Gary D."

turbo addict

I got busted hard the first time I took it. She actually sent me a text message as I was driving down the track!!!

How long did you sleep on the sofa?

Another farmboy engineering photo dump for the record.

Decided to go ahead and make the car NHRA legal, turn the boost knob up, and see what the old 8V car can really do.

So, because adding more roll cage, chute, and trans blanket will make the car even heavier I had to take weight out somewhere else, and the obvious place to start was the rear axle/brake assembly.

The factory stock trailing arm axle assembly weighed 102lbs. complete with the drum brakes. I need to remove at least 40lbs. so I designed this all aluminum unit with adjustable coil over shocks. Hope it works and passes chassis inspection.

After pouring over the wildwood catalog I found aluminum hubs for a ford Mustang that I could make work with a little modification.(stayed with the 4 lug as they are the lightest, and fit my race wheels)
    Also found these aluminum Sprint car rotors I machined out the centers and machined adapter-spacers to mate to the hubs.
    Calipers are single piston Wilwood (1.3 lbs.each)
    Machined the spindles from 1045 steel bar stock. was going to use titainium, but would have cost $450 for a net savings of 1.5lbs. could not justify that.

I needed rear coil over shocks with 90/10 valving so as to let the car squat on the wheelie bar instantly on the "hit". was the most difficult item to source checked everywhere for units that would bolt right up; also had to have the right spring rate....was ready to throw in the towel, started looking at motorcycle shocks, no-go, but got me to a link to a dune buggy site..viola! rear VW dune buggy coil overs with 120lb. spring rate and 10jounce/90 rebound valving. like they were made to order for my car (only $64.00 too)

So, the complete assembly weighs 46 lbs, leaving me with 56 lbs weight loss....YA!
    Next up, More roll cage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0001.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	381.4 KB 
ID:	63715   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0003.JPG 
Views:	211 
Size:	372.4 KB 
ID:	63716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0008.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	387.6 KB 
ID:	63717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0007 (2).JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	334.8 KB 
ID:	63718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0004 (2).JPG 
Views:	240 
Size:	330.6 KB 
ID:	63719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0009 (2).JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	326.3 KB 
ID:	63720  

Last edited by Warren Stramer; 02-04-2019 at 05:06 PM.