Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser XE coming back

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Laser XE coming back

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    I'm Back home now so here is the short version of the weekend racing. Went to Fargo to Top End Dragways, the same track I won the Q8 at last spring. This time though the traction was much better, but the FREAKING WIND was blowin hard from the wnw@18-22MPH, the track faces straight west. I was only able to make three 1/4 mile runs before they shut it down to 1/8 mile only for safety reasons, as the track runs parallel to a half mile long tree shelter belt on the south side and a 1/4 mile shelter belt on the north side, so when the cars would get past the finish line they would be hit by gusts from the Nwest.
    When I made my Three full track passes the head wind was at about 18mph, so I new it was unlikely I would get into the nines, and the forcast for the next day was for even higher winds so I figured Saturday would be my best chance. I was surprised to even get into the teens.
    I expected the MPH to be off by at least 2mph and it was. But the traction was good, so in the first third of the track before the negetive effects of the wind resistance the car ran very well, but it cost me at least 1.5 tenths overall.

Sunday morning true to form the wind incresed to 22-25mph with higher gusts. I made one 1/8 mile attempt packed up and went to my sons place, I guess I wont be going nines on a 50 trim. I know I have a 9.90s car but I cant prove it. Woulda-coulda-shoulda
    I have one more shot at it if I would trailer to Rock fall Raceway at Eau Claire WI, they are having their last sport compact event in two weeks. I will run it by the War Department, see what she says
    So, a 10.140 is my new PB, for now. Sorry no nines.......yet.

Also, I cannot say what or if the heavy crank helped or hurt the short times, it is hard to quantify because I was trying low pressure in the slicks, and but mostly, because I set my rear axle back in the rearward most position, putting more weight on the front axle. With the weather conditions as they were I dont look at the MPH as an accurate indication of what the power output was. I think the 60fts would have been just as good with the cast crank, but who knows?
    Awesome Warren, Congrats!

...and if you want to try to get the 9, I know that Eau Claire is a few hours closer for you, but Grove will be open until snow flies

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Awesome Warren, Congrats!

...and if you want to try to get the 9, I know that Eau Claire is a few hours closer for you, but Grove will be open until snow flies
    The more I think about it, I think trying to run the XE in to the nines on this turbo is an effort in stupidity(and futility) I'm just beating the car up for no good reason. I think I will save it, bolt on the big turbo and go 9.70s. Just wanted to get into the nines this year
    If I went to Eau Claire it would cost me at least $600.00 to just get there and back. Man this sport is addicting!!

One more thing, I had rigged up a back pressure gauge to my header collector last race when I broke the crank, but didnt get to make a run with it till this weekend. Blew the high temp silicone hose apart three times. Got tired of dicking with it so I took it off and plugged the header port. I had bench tested the hose and gauge to 70 psi before I installed it. I was making 28lbs of boost on the three runs Sat., didnt get a BP reading
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Completly different in Warrens case. We ALL knew that the turbo was his Major cork from last fall and that his set-up will OUTBREATH most 16v's!

It was in order to give everything a "good testing" and to keep a baseline for everything he changed up until now, but Any turbo from the one hes picked to the Holset I'm running, the 6262, Damn, he could bolt just about ANY turbo bigger than the 50 trim and up to 62mm and go not only right into the 9's, but Deep............

As he has already stated, the car is deff 9 sec capable Right now, to me that's just as good as the 9's he'll be racking up with a proper turbo on there!

I completely disagree, he's like all of us, trying to go fast, but until he does it, then its NOT a 9 sec car. No coulda, shoulda woulda's, just run the 9 on the 50 trim and be done with it,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Sooo close Warren! I agree that many people don't think of the added stress on everything when you try to run a turbo to its bitter edge. Hot air and high back pressure are not your engine's friend. I wonder if the exhaust heat softened up the silicone a bit making it blow easier. For mine I ran the coiled copper tube to help cool things off and then I used 1/4" nylon "air brake" type line with quick connects. I love that stuff and the quick connects make for a really clean install for all things pressure or vacuum related.

The more I think about it, I think trying to run the XE in to the nines on this turbo is an effort in stupidity(and futility) I'm just beating the car up for no good reason. I think I will save it, bolt on the big turbo and go 9.70s. Just wanted to get into the nines this year
    If I went to Eau Claire it would cost me at least $600.00 to just get there and back. Man this sport is addicting!!

One more thing, I had rigged up a back pressure gauge to my header collector last race when I broke the crank, but didnt get to make a run with it till this weekend. Blew the high temp silicone hose apart three times. Got tired of dicking with it so I took it off and plugged the header port. I had bench tested the hose and gauge to 70 psi before I installed it. I was making 28lbs of boost on the three runs Sat., didnt get a BP reading

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    I wonder if the exhaust heat softened up the silicone a bit making it blow easier.
    Thats exactly what was happening, looked like an anureism where it blew. I cant imagine how overspeeded the turbo is at full boost! All I need is for that thing to fly apart somewhere.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I think what you have done with a 50 trim and 8 valves is amazing. No need to push things to the point of asking for a failure.

But a nicely matched hairdryer on there and you'll be in there, no problems!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Sorry to hear that, lol.

Did you run the silicone hose right from the turbo or did you coil some wire? If no coil then yeah, it will get hot,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I completely disagree, he's like all of us, trying to go fast, but until he does it, then its NOT a 9 sec car. No coulda, shoulda woulda's, just run the 9 on the 50 trim and be done with it,
    Again, you can dissagree all you want, the FACT of the matter is I can see that he COULD put this car into the 9's on the 50 trim with just favourable wether conditions. I know what bucking a 20-40mph headwind is like (I should, been doing it for the past two years) and a large part of why the Charger was able to shave 6 Full tenths off this year is because I finally got a clear, reasonably calm day!

Now, IF either of us was ever lucky enough to get a tail wind, well that would deff be money in the bank

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Thats exactly what was happening, looked like an anureism where it blew. I cant imagine how overspeeded the turbo is at full boost! All I need is for that thing to fly apart somewhere.
    Crap, that was going to be my next Q. Man, I hate silicone hose, that stuff just seems too slippery to me. ( never wants ti stick to pipes)

I just used 1/4" brake line and then used a vaccuum "end" from the factory mtr vaccuum lines and into nylon boost gauge tubing.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Rampage16V's Avatar

Amazing results from an amazing person!!!

Dean Stillie
    87 Shelby Z 2.4 Turbo 9.06@146.05
    82 Rampage 2.4 Turbo 10.14@138.02

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage16V View Post
    Amazing results from an amazing person!!!
    Thanks Dean, sorry I beat the Rampage record by a ants wisker.

Warren, it's really too bad you don't have a .82 A/R tubine housing OR even a stage 5 .63 A/R turbine housing that you could swap on there! Man, pressure reading from this set-up @ OVER 500WHP on the 50 trim already and then a BtB with an A/R or A/R turbine housing combo that would for sure outflow the compressor would be not only interesting, but to see how much could be gained on a little turbo like the 50 trim with a stage 5 turbine on a super efficient set-up would be sweet!

Damn, wish I would have thrown this out to you in the spring or at SDAC as I think (with the H/G change you did ect.) that this easily could have been done and the gains would have netted you the 9 even against that headwind...............

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo2point2's Avatar

Congrats Warren! That is one bada$$ 8 valve

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

turbo addict

Fringgin AMAZING!!

I don't think that a heavier crank costs power, so much as it reduces transient response...meaning getting from one power point to another is a certain amount of time. THAT is what could slow the car down, but it seems that's not really the case here and reduced harmonics and flexing from the better crank actually might be beneficial here!

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Oh, Warren, what is the product you use on the inside of your block for oil shedding? I know I saw it in one of the pictures you've posted. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post

Oh, Warren, what is the product you use on the inside of your block for oil shedding? I know I saw it in one of the pictures you've posted. Thanks!
    Looks like the same paint he uses in his E/C.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

[/COLOR]Oh, Warren, what is the product you use on the inside of your block for oil shedding? I know I saw it in one of the pictures you've posted. Thanks! [/QUOTE]

It is a product called Glyptal electric motor winding varnish. I buy it from McMaster Carr.

It is a product called Glyptal electric motor winding varnish. I buy it from McMaster Carr.
    So your saying that the paint code description on your car is "Glyptal electric motor winding varnish". What a mouth full, I can see why Chryco went to letter and # codes instead! lol

Seriously though, in the pic it looks like a dead-on match!

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    So your saying that the paint code description on your car is "Glyptal electric motor winding varnish". What a mouth full, I can see why Chryco went to letter and # codes instead! lol

Seriously though, in the pic it looks like a dead-on match!
    Actually it is a rust brown color varnish. They also sell it in white and green.

Thinking of the block jarred my memory, When I had it apart to replace the crank I inspected my pressure oiled Int.shaft and oil pump gears. After 40 runs and a lot of high RPM testing they look perfect.

One other observation..,I bumped up my shift lite rpm from 7200 to 7500, seemed to like it through second gear especially. Was going through the traps @ 7000 rpm. The higher I shift the quicker it goes.

If I shift at 14,000 RPM it should go 8.50's

turbo addict

Thanks Warren. I had heard of it before, I just couldn't remember the name of it. I will be using it in my build as well!

Quote Originally Posted by warren stramer View Post
    one other observation..,i bumped up my shift lite rpm from 7200 to 7500, seemed to like it through second gear especially. Was going through the traps @ 7000 rpm. The higher i shift the quicker it goes.

If i shift at 14,000 rpm it should go 8.50's
    lmao! That's right, almost forgot that your cam profile has Nothing to do with passing air through your mtr! So just double the RPM and your golden!

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

How do you prep the block for the Glyptal? My brother used it once on a small block chevy that had been hot-tanked and then cleaned with soap and water before application. It eventually all peeled off and ended up in his oil pump pickup.
    Last edited by contraption22; 10-19-2011 at 03:41 PM.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=