Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
BTW it seems you guys are missing something. Warrens setup puts out 16v even at 9.75 volts Battery voltage. This keeps his car consistent.

But if Reeves system does not maintain voltage, that is a bad thing. The megasquirt ECU has a specific setting for Dwell time (coil) based on battery voltage. You drop to 10 volts and there is a HUGE decrease in coil output, which is why megasquirt uses a correction table

Here is how the table breaks down for the coil (basic settings that you can change if you want to).
6v 500% correction
8v 248% correction
10v 168% correction
12v 128% correction
14v 102% correction
16v 88% correction (Warren Land)

And my experience is that Megasquirt developers are complete nerds who LOVE this type of stuff more then making HP etc. They get this stuff right. They probably have corrections for other things but don't give you ability to change it. On the MS, messing with the dwell can either nuke your coil circuit in the ECU or melt the coil, and I those are usually cheap things to replace. Nobody wants to destroy injectors etc.

The coil is an extreme example but everything in your EFI changes when voltage changes.

When 0.5MS of injector timing can be the difference between boom and zoom, do you want to chance it?
And the obvious problem will be that fuel pump output drops HUGE when voltage drops. So combine that with everything else and
Another thing I noticed while datalogging MS is that it measures ignition timing % of error. I ever even thought of such a thing. Just another issue to keep in mind.

For a slow car, who cares, but the more HP you make per displacement, the finer edge you tread.

Right now I am using an oldschool regulator and it keeps the voltage right at 14-14.1
Opps, Ondonti beat me to the draw.