Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser XE coming back

turbo addict

Re: Laser XE coming back

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Of course any one of us who has ever spent 40 or 50 hours hunched over a cylinder head with a spot lamp and a collection of porting tools, would certainly *like* to know some numbers from artistry like yours Warren. Of course, I would never be so brash as to ask. Reaper...
    Well, that's why I said if he's willing to share. If he's not, I totally understand and will never hold it against him. I do seem to remember a while back, at least for one of his heads, he stated he didn't really know what it flowed, he just did what worked to make him faster. Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Common guys, Warren already answered this; Enough flow to make 700+WHP from a GTX3582R. You Should be able to figure out the rest.....no?

BTW, that's the same head he showed before when he was still running the 50 trim, surprising that your only taking notice now? lol
    LOL...you know as well as the rest of us that if you can make enough pressure to shove air into an engine, then you can still make power. I know that his goal is to do it as efficiently as possible. The turbo size really doesn't surprise me for his power goal as it is the same size I was/am looking at for my build.

His work is so amazing that honestly, I wouldn't put it past him to do another, even though a while back I think I remember him saying that the one he showed us then was his "last one"....kinda like Ozzy tours...they are always the "last" one! LOL

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    I can't help you with that Buddy
    I showed the engine builders and mechanics at my work your engine and some older engine-bay shots today, they thought it was one of the baddest 4-cyl, or any size engine, they have ever seen!

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    His work is so amazing that honestly, I wouldn't put it past him to do another, even though a while back I think I remember him saying that the one he showed us then was his "last one"....kinda like Ozzy tours...they are always the "last" one! LOL
    Saw Ozzy and Zombie back in 2007, it was awesome! Ozzy actually sounded lively on stage, and he blasted the crowd with foam that glowed in black light and he was running around the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post
    Every time I check your thread out it makes me feel like a total hack! Amazing work!
    Oh cut it out, I've seen your stuff, You Sir are no hack!
    Last edited by Warren Stramer; 03-06-2014 at 05:05 PM.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    Warren did you use lash cap with your cam and if so which one ?
    Yes, I use lash caps from a 2.0L Ford. I think I sourced them from Manley.
    Last edited by Warren Stramer; 03-06-2014 at 05:05 PM.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Well, that's why I said if he's willing to share. If he's not, I totally understand and will never hold it against him. I do seem to remember a while back, at least for one of his heads, he stated he didn't really know what it flowed, he just did what worked to make him faster. Fair enough.

LOL...you know as well as the rest of us that if you can make enough pressure to shove air into an engine, then you can still make power. I know that his goal is to do it as efficiently as possible. The turbo size really doesn't surprise me for his power goal as it is the same size I was/am looking at for my build.

About posting flow numbers; I have not for a number of reasons, For one, I could do like some (not referring to anyone in particular) and post made-up numbers that makes me look like a porting god. Or, If I posted the actual numbers and they were Lower, or higher than expected some might mistake the data for a model to avoid, or the benchmark for all other 8 valves to copy, and it is neither.
    You could make one of these intake ports flow like a sewer pipe on the flow bench, but make less power on the track than with a properly sized and shaped port-seat-chamber.
    In my opinion (My opinions are only good for about 90 days) comparing flow bench numbers are nearly meaningless.
    The bench is about the last tool I use when laying out a good performing head. I am NOT saying they are useless, they definitely have their place, but they do not replicate a running engine, not even close. IC engines are not steady-state flow pumps, and the actual flow through a running engine is at a FAR HIGHER depression than anything you will achieve on a typical flow bench.

What they are good for is determining relative flow profiles at various valve lifts, flow velocities, and flow bias, and I make good use of mine for that. Just need to understand their limitations.

Over the years I've seen 8valve flow numbers on the forums and for example someone may have a head that flowed say, 190cfm @.500 or so on, but then they are lead to believe by 'convention' that they should run a cam that can only yield maybe .450 valve lift; They wasted their time porting for .500 because the head will never see it. They should have concentrated on flow around .450 or less. Or better yet, get a cam that opens the valves to at least .500.

My point is, take the flow bench numbers you read with a grain of salt. There are more important aspects to a powerful cyl. head.
    Last edited by Warren Stramer; 03-07-2014 at 05:56 PM.

turbo addict

Well put Warren!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Ill take a 90 day warranty, er opinion any day

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

About posting flow numbers; I have not for a number of reasons, For one, I could do like some (not referring to anyone in particular) and post made-up numbers that makes me look like a porting god. Or, If I posted the actual numbers and they were Lower, or higher than expected some might mistake the data for a model to avoid, or the benchmark for all other 8 valves to copy, and it is neither.
    You could make one of these intake ports flow like a sewer pipe on the flow bench, but make less power on the track than with a properly sized and shaped port-seat-chamber.
    In my opinion (My opinions are only good for about 90 days) comparing flow bench numbers are nearly meaningless.
    The bench is about the last tool I use when laying out a good performing head. I am NOT saying they are useless, they definitely have their place, but they do not replicate a running engine, not even close. IC engines are not steady-state flow pumps, and the actual flow through an engine is at a FAR HIGHER depression than anything you will achieve on a typical flow bench.

What they are good for is determining relative flow profiles at various valve lifts, flow velocities, and flow bias, and I make good use of mine for that. Just need to understand their limitations.

Over the years I've seen 8valve flow numbers on the forums and for example someone may have a head that flowed say, 190cfm @.500 or so on, but then they are lead to believe by 'convention' that they should run a cam that can only yield maybe .450 valve lift; They wasted their time porting for .500 because the head will never see it. They should have concentrated on flow around .450 or less. Or better yet, get a cam that opens the valves to at least .500.

My point is, take the flow bench numbers you read with a grain of salt. There are more important aspects to a powerful cyl. head.
    This was going to be my first answer as well, but I didn't want to be accused of putting words into anyone's mouth.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster

The bench is about the last tool I use when laying out a good performing head. I am NOT saying they are useless, they definitely have their place, but they do not replicate a running engine, not even close. IC engines are not steady-state flow pumps, and the actual flow through an engine is at a FAR HIGHER depression than anything you will achieve on a typical flow bench.

Well said! I'll have to read this to the cylinder head guy at my work, this is almost word for word what he told me when I brought him my head. He did my head for a .470/.467 cam since I will be using the F-4 cam from Cindy.

About posting flow numbers; I have not for a number of reasons, For one, I could do like some (not referring to anyone in particular) and post made-up numbers that makes me look like a porting god. .....
    I'm going to address the obvious here. Warren, you in NO WAY could post made up numbers because you are too honest for that. I've met Warren as many of you have and it is not in him to do such a thing. I'd LOVE to see you try and purposefully lie on this forum.....go on, do it. hehe

Warren, plans to attend SDAC this year? About as close as it will get to the Dakotas!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I'm going to address the obvious here. Warren, you in NO WAY could post made up numbers because you are too honest for that. I've met Warren as many of you have and it is not in him to do such a thing. I'd LOVE to see you try and purposefully lie on this forum.....go on, do it. hehe
    While I couldn't agree more with what your saying, I think Warren's point is somewhat similar to the Dyno vs real world MPH debate over Real HP. Flowing a head on a bench is Very limited in what it can do to Replicate what is Really going to happen when that head is on a running mtr @ WOT going down the track.

So those who choose to over-use a flow bench as an end all be all for what the final result will be, will most likely end up with a "limited" build as opposed to someone who takes All Other aspects of the head work, proper cross section and port shape for cam and RPM of mtr ect into account. (ie. the mechanical and mathematical side of the build)

Not to mention, like Dyno's, flow benches are hardly equal, so your always going to be dealing with inaccurate #'s one way or the other when compared to a different bench. (again, just like Dyno's)

Kind of like when the internet goes "ohhhhh, ahhhh" and "Googooo Gaga" over Dyno #'s, when we should All know by now that the Real Lie detector is the MPH at the end of the track! (this is also why I no longer post Dyno #'s, even when it makes the Charger look good )

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    While I couldn't agree more with what your saying, I think Warren's point is somewhat similar to the Dyno vs real world MPH debate over Real HP. Flowing a head on a bench is Very limited in what it can do to Replicate what is Really going to happen when that head is on a running mtr @ WOT going down the track.

So those who choose to over-use a flow bench as an end all be all for what the final result will be, will most likely end up with a "limited" build as opposed to someone who takes All Other aspects of the head work, proper cross section and port shape for cam and RPM of mtr ect into account. (ie. the mechanical and mathematical side of the build)

Not to mention, like Dyno's, flow benches are hardly equal, so your always going to be dealing with inaccurate #'s one way or the other when compared to a different bench. (again, just like Dyno's)

Kind of like when the internet goes "ohhhhh, ahhhh" and "Googooo Gaga" over Dyno #'s, when we should All know by now that the Real Lie detector is the MPH at the end of the track! (this is also why I no longer post Dyno #'s, even when it makes the Charger look good )
    My point was specific about Warren's hypothetical situation of him being dishonest. I would say the same about you too Rob.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    My point was specific about Warren's hypothetical situation of him being dishonest. I would say the same about you too Rob.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, it's appreciated. I Should have split my answer better, as I ment to agree with you and then put my .02$ in and didn't mean for the two separate comments to meld together. Sorry bout that, as I knew that nothing you were saying had anything to do with the point I was making, just that I completely agreed with your assesment of Warren (hope that made sense)

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

the craftsmanship is remarkable on your car. which leads me into my question. i'm interested in how you made some of the custom brackets/shields. i posted a couple pics of yours and circled the brackets of interest. are these brackets bent (if so how) or cut and welded or machined? also, how did you do the large aluminum motor mount bracket? do you have a cnc mill? i assume you used a large metal break to make the aluminum upper grill shroud or whatever you call it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine compartment.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	49216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor plate #1.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	49217

warren - btw - do you ever make it down to pierre (oahe speedway)? i'ld like to see your car run some time.
    Last edited by wowzer; 03-07-2014 at 10:34 PM.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

turbo addict

Warren, Rob, Jon, believe me when I say that I understand all of the points stated. I preach all of those points and have for a long time. I just like to know rough comparisons.

Flow benches are just like dyno's. They are a tool. All of them are different and just because a head flows "x" absolutely gives no real indication on how it will perform on an engine. I also agree with superfluous flow numbers beyond the intended valve lift. It makes no sense.

Anyway, my point I am trying to make is that I agree with what you guys have said, I was just curious.

Back to showing the totally epic build! I absolutely LOVE drooling over what can arguably called art.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Well numbers beyond your valve lift have value, they are just not something a person should brag about as a number alone. There is information but not necessarily performance to be had with that number depending on the setup.

I don't want to have to read for the next 5 years a bunch of people saying "per warren, you need to throw all that stuff away because he posted a flowbench one time and he must be the man to copy even though I am building a 250hp setup and I can't rev past 5500."

Experienced head porters who actually use flow benches and measure velocity etc will get a lot of information from the numbers they record and even if the CFMs are lower they might know that because of better velocity #'s with a certain setup, power will be better. Just posting up numbers leaves up a lot of interpretation. I have also seen how these things are calibrated and its...sketchy. For my personal use I like seeing before and after, but I would not worry about how my numbers stacked up vs a different flowbench. Easier to prove it on the track. Stephane really only seemed to worry about massive ports. I don't think he had to worry about poor low rpm performance.

Remember that people obsess about using a certain in/hg when that really only applies to n/a cars and only the intake valve side and as Warren stated, valves open and close and the speed at which that happens changes. I have seem some brilliant people say that "valves move so fast the air never stops" Well I guess it just keeps going through the valves even though they are closed more then 50% of the time? :P
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    the craftsmanship is remarkable on your car. which leads me into my question. i'm interested in how you made some of the custom brackets/shields. i posted a couple pics of yours and circled the brackets of interest. are these brackets bent (if so how) or cut and welded or machined? also, how did you do the large aluminum motor mount bracket? do you have a cnc mill? i assume you used a large metal break to make the aluminum upper grill shroud or whatever you call it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine compartment.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	49216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor plate #1.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	49217

warren - btw - do you ever make it down to pierre (oahe speedway)? i'ld like to see your car run some time.
    Thanks Wowzer, and yes ,you could call Oahe Speedway my home track. It is the closest track to my shop, and for some reason I have good luck there.......(See shameless plug below)

The guy with me in the photos is Milt Morris, the track owner, A super good guy. If you like I could contact you next time I plan to be there and we could meet up.

As for the fabrication of the motor plate and brackets, I do build them in my shop. The front center motor mount is the 84 factory piece that I just drilled out and lightened with a hole saw. The other red mount bolted to the motor plate I made and tig welded from plate steel.
    The aluminum motor plate, I made a cardboard pattern and had my friend cut it out of aluminum on his water jet cutter then I finish machined it in my shop. I do not have CNC, I machine everything the old fashion way, manually.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winners circle II.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	49221   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dsc04786.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	49222  
    Last edited by Warren Stramer; 03-08-2014 at 01:23 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

thx warren - i've met/seen milt at a few car shows in rapid city, at least said hi. lmk when you are traveling to pierre. even tho it's about a 3hr drive from here me and another buddy have been meaning to get there for a couple years now. having someone to watch may be the incentive i need. just pm me when you think you'll be there.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    thx warren - i've met/seen milt at a few car shows in rapid city, at least said hi. lmk when you are traveling to pierre. even tho it's about a 3hr drive from here me and another buddy have been meaning to get there for a couple years now. having someone to watch may be the incentive i need. just pm me when you think you'll be there.
    Will do. I will be testing this new mill there, or in Fargo.

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

SDAC or bust!

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's