Thread: Looking for advise on new calibration

Mitsu booster

Looking for advise on new calibration

Hi guys,

I have ordered the 1987 2.2L TII 3-Bar MAP Calibrations + Dual MAP Cal.
    I have not given Paul the boost settings yet. I am hoping to get some feedback as to what boost settings and overboost I should specify.

Thing is while I have driven turbo dodges for long time I have only started modding the last couple of years. I am upgrading to a built engine in a few weeks and expect I am in for a surprise how it will run even with out a new computer. I was very surprised just from cal, injectors and exhaust work I've done.

Also just FYI - I chose a dual cal as one setting is more for MPG/high way driving.

Info:

Car is '87 Daytona ShelbyZ

Current setup is stock engine, stock manifolds, stock TII turbo and plumbing. Calibration at 18PSI with +40 injectors and 3bar O2. 3" exhaust with Cat behind stock wastegate. (I have the 3"downpipe, but saving it until new SV is installed.)

New setup. Ported head with +1mm valves. Old style block built with Wiseco pistons, billet rods and girdled. Still a cast crank. Chris's stepped iron header, budget intercooler and Trannybuster turbo. And 3" swing valve. I'll change all plumbing/routing for the intercooler and BOV.

Main question is... What is a safe max limit for boost with the new setup? - I plan to go conservatively lower from here.

Car is used as a daily driver.

Any other advise appreciated also!

Re: Looking for advise on new calibration

I spoke with Paul, our Calibrations technician, about your post. He will be responding to you in the next day or so. Paul has been overwhelmed with cal orders lately and is just trying to remain focused to avoid getting behind.

Thanks for your understanding,

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Mitsu booster

No problem Chris.

It's just I searched around - searched recommended boost and a few combination's in the forum - and didn't find anything.

I did find this before I posted... I only figured out some of the variables on it today.
    I expect Paul will know the "Vol. Efficiency", "BSFC" and "Max I/C Loss" - no worries there.
    http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/index.php

Maybe I should rephrase my question? What would be an upper limit of HP or torque to run on this setup?

Just hoping for some opinions.

BTW Chris - let me know if I should order a wastegate actuator/ any adapters for it also.

Quote Originally Posted by ogre2010 View Post
    No problem Chris.

It's just I searched around - searched recommended boost and a few combination's in the forum - and didn't find anything.

I did find this before I posted... I only figured out some of the variables on it today.
    I expect Paul will know the "Vol. Efficiency", "BSFC" and "Max I/C Loss" - no worries there.
    http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/index.php

Maybe I should rephrase my question? What would be an upper limit of HP or torque to run on this setup?

Just hoping for some opinions.

BTW Chris - let me know if I should order a wastegate actuator/ any adapters for it also.
    Yes, Paul should be able to provide you with what you are looking for.

I am not sure who you are since we have sold several of these cals this last week. Please send me an email (Chris@turbosunleashed.com) so I can have Paul respond to your message directly. Based on your post, limitations on HP/Torque are going to be mostly drivetrain/intercooler/turbo/exhaust manifold related for your vehicle.

Thanks!

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by ogre2010 View Post
    Hi guys,

I have ordered the 1987 2.2L TII 3-Bar MAP Calibrations + Dual MAP Cal.
    I have not given Paul the boost settings yet. I am hoping to get some feedback as to what boost settings and overboost I should specify.

Thing is while I have driven turbo dodges for long time I have only started modding the last couple of years. I am upgrading to a built engine in a few weeks and expect I am in for a surprise how it will run even with out a new computer. I was very surprised just from cal, injectors and exhaust work I've done.

Also just FYI - I chose a dual cal as one setting is more for MPG/high way driving.

Info:

Car is '87 Daytona ShelbyZ

Current setup is stock engine, stock manifolds, stock TII turbo and plumbing. Calibration at 18PSI with +40 injectors and 3bar O2. 3" exhaust with Cat behind stock wastegate. (I have the 3"downpipe, but saving it until new SV is installed.)

New setup. Ported head with +1mm valves. Old style block built with Wiseco pistons, billet rods and girdled. Still a cast crank. Chris's stepped iron header, budget intercooler and Trannybuster turbo. And 3" swing valve. I'll change all plumbing/routing for the intercooler and BOV.

Main question is... What is a safe max limit for boost with the new setup? - I plan to go conservatively lower from here.

Car is used as a daily driver.

Any other advise appreciated also!
    The answer on your boost goal/overboost setting is going to fall on octane mostly which is the main function of the Dual-Map cal. In California where even the premium gas isn't great I've seen more than 100HP between stages, so your boost goals are going to depend on a few things but mostly the gas you'll use.

I need all of the specs to give an answer, and I haven't got a chance to send you your spec sheet yet, so I'll do that now, review your combo, and answer your question based on that.

Thanks for your order!
    Paul