Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Turbonator T3

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: Turbonator T3

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
    DoubleD, I'm guessing you meant to quote my post not your own? lol... unfortunately things came up and i couldn't make it to my car tonite so no new updates besides the issues i still have..
    stage limiter doesn't work... I have the stage limiter set to activate using the cruise control set button, but it just doesn't work ....but i checked with my snap-on scanner to make sure the sbec does read the cruise control switches.
    as far as using the sbec to control boost, i gave up and installed an aftermarket boost controller. Anyhow to answer your question doubled, i have 72lb injectors, and no check engine light either BUT, I haven't tested the knock feature with manually induced knock (tap the head with a mallot ) to create false knock and make sure the knock feature works..
    The staging limiter should work in the TIII - but only as fuel-cut. I think I have the option in there for spark-cut, but it's a future option.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

Maybe I am doing something wrong here. I can try on lunch today. How do I set it up, what will the car do. I am under the idea it is like a rev limiter and you should here the RPM bounce. I want to help get this working right.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

Turbonator T3

Shel-game, if i remember correctly, when i first loaded the cal last year it was with version one of mptune and now when i updated to mptune version 2 and used i believe i used a fresh copy of the turbonator 3bar cal i lost the stage limiter feature. If that might help
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

yesterday i was trying to check the knock sensor and either i tapped it and it broke or it was broke and i happened to discover it at the same time... today i swapped it out and logged with mpscan and the knock sensor and it picked up the knock i was inducing with a small hammer on a bracket. So I know the knock sensor works and the sbec picks it up but I don't know if the check engine light was flickering or not.. I could only get the knock sensor to go up to .62v and i cant be under the hood and watching the dash lights at the same time. Another thing is with my cams now centerlined and the car runs so much smoother I went on the highway for a couple sprinted runs at 10psi and afr's were in the 12.5 area so I need to add more fuel. No audible knock though, no lights either and it was smooth. engine temps were good and egts never went over 1400*. So minor fuel tweaks to the map for fuel and the rest will be on a dyno
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eski View Post
    If I remember correctly you did change when CE light comes on when knock is detected. I am not 100% sure there is real knock. When I use higher octane gasoline I can go much higher without CE light. Accelerating really stops when CE light comes on, but if I am right then SBEC changes timing.

Great.
    if you are at higher than stock boost, you may need to dial in the table that references knock voltage to RPM as the overall engine noise is going to higher because the block rings more with higher power.

the SBEC backs off timing with detected/perceived knock to save the engine. it will kill seat-of-the-pants power to keep things from melting down.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

boostaholic

The staging limiter and dual boost controller are still broken.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    The staging limiter and dual boost controller are still broken.
    What are your set values for the staging limiter? The 'off' setpoint should be higher than the 'on' setpoint. If they're backwards, it won't do anything. 'Off' and 'on' refer to fuel shutoff, not the limiter itself.

The switchable boost is setup the same as it is in the SMEC and SBEC, which work fine. How do you have it setup? What's the low boost setting? Switch used?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

Staging limiter off is 3040, on is 3008.

Allowed boost low is 5.015
    High boost is 10.6, I can't run lower than 18 psi on my current spring, I am going by the boost target logged via mpscan, value doesn't change while switching the low boost switch on and off.
    My control switch is the speed control on/off.

Staging limiter off is 3040, on is 3008.

Allowed boost low is 5.015
    High boost is 10.6, I can't run lower than 18 psi on my current spring, I am going by the boost target logged via mpscan, value doesn't change while switching the low boost switch on and off.
    My control switch is the speed control on/off.
    For the staging limiter, what's the speed cutoff set to?

'91 or '92? If '92, the speed control switch won't work. It's an analog switch (kind of). I need to remap the way it works in order to use that switch.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

Cut off speed is 10 mph,
    Car is a 92, what other switch would you recommend that should work then?

Actually, cruise switches should work for the switchable boost. But, the names are assigned to the wrong bits. Try the one that's named 'brake switch' in the template. It's actually the cruise on/off switch. I'll fix that in the templates for the next release.

I don't know why the staging limiter doesn't work. It should.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

I tried the "brake switch" button, still nothing, I assume the boost target would change as being logged in mpscan when the trigger is pressed, nothing yet.

Turbo Joe noted that the staging limiter worked with his old tune last year on mptune version 1, he switched to version 2 this year and made a new tune using the latest turbonator that was available. Then his staging limiter stopped working.

I tried the "brake switch" button, still nothing, I assume the boost target would change as being logged in mpscan when the trigger is pressed, nothing yet.

Turbo Joe noted that the staging limiter worked with his old tune last year on mptune version 1, he switched to version 2 this year and made a new tune using the latest turbonator that was available. Then his staging limiter stopped working.
    The version of MP Tune used won't have an impact on the cal or code running in the car. MP Tune is just the editor.

If you're logging the boost target, it's actually a MAP target. And, it is set to 0 until MAP starts to go positive. This is so that the WG Solenoid isn't constantly cycling when you're cruising around in vacuum. So, if you're switching the boost at idle, you won't see it change.

What target are you seeing in MP Scan? Is it near 14psi?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

Target I am seeing goes between 10.8 and 11 psi depending on throttle position. I have never seen 0 psi show up. I adjust all the tables in the boost target section to get the number this low. When I started with the tuning it was over 14, I believe the stock setting from Turbonator was over 18 psi.

I am switching the boost at all ranges of throttle and boost. I have yet to try at WFO, but I could try and log it.

Target I am seeing goes between 10.8 and 11 psi depending on throttle position. I have never seen 0 psi show up. I adjust all the tables in the boost target section to get the number this low. When I started with the tuning it was over 14, I believe the stock setting from Turbonator was over 18 psi.

I am switching the boost at all ranges of throttle and boost. I have yet to try at WFO, but I could try and log it.
    If you have all the tables set to 11psi, what do you expect it to go to when you switch it low? IE, what's your 'low' setpoint?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

My low is currently set to 6 psi. I am getting a lighter waste gate actuator later this week, When that is installed, I will set the low to 7 at min waste gate pressure, I will leave the high set as 10-11. That will confirm if this feature is working or not.

boostaholic

So I continue my learning to tune the R/T.
    I have scaled the knock tables and raised the curves, I have yet to see the knock senor voltage exceed the new threshold voltage. I am logging both.
    Last night I did some pulls on the cold engine and it pulled hard thru the full range in second and third. No light came on. Every other time on a warm engine I try and do a pull I have the light come on. I originally started with the Turbonator T3 tune that is stock, not the +40 tune. I don't know what engine this was based off. I know the +40 was based off a heavily modified T3 with ported everything, I have a super mild port, darn near stock, just cleaned up. I am curious what these timing tables are built off of. My car has pulled up to 11 degrees of timing on all 4 cylinders as logged in MPScan. Often it will retard 5 degrees under boost. I am getting voltage readings on my knock sensor, but they never exceed the threshold so why is my motor pulling boost. The min boost under full throttle I can get is 18 psi for now.
    Not sure if this is hurting my timing issues, but this bottom end is really tired, I am showing 90-95 psi compression across all 4 cylinders, I am showing 30% leakage in one cylinder and 11-16 in the other three. I know this motor is tired, I have a very open PCV set-up and both valve covers are vented, but under boost it just pushes oil. I have the fuel dialed in really well and understand how to tune the fuel exactly how I want, but I have no idea how to adjust the timing. I don't like it that every time I jump on the gas and push it hard the check engine light comes on. I replaced the knock sensor about 2 years ago and it does seem to be responsive.
    Sorry if this gets confusing and I talk in circles, I am kinda at a point where I'm unsure how to proceed. I have tons of logs that all show timing being pulled. I have a low psi (6-8 psi opening) actuator coming that I hope to install and lower the min boost to limit all that pressure blowing out of the motor and being wasted. I am not sure if the blow-by could cause knock, just looking for some answers. Thanks

boostaholic

What is the easiest way to adjust timing for the 3d tables in MPTune, have not found a way to change an area or scale that area yet?

Put on a different wastegate actuator and dropped the boost, no more knocking. But I would like to learn how to adjust that for when I have a fresh motor next year and start pushing some power on Pump.

What is the easiest way to adjust timing for the 3d tables in MPTune, have not found a way to change an area or scale that area yet?

Put on a different wastegate actuator and dropped the boost, no more knocking. But I would like to learn how to adjust that for when I have a fresh motor next year and start pushing some power on Pump.
    You can only change them using the data table...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

Do I have to type in each value individually then?