Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbonator T3

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: Turbonator T3

I'm anxiously awaiting this version, as it seems to me to have potential to make the others kinda obsolete... Would the code run on a SMEC or is the computing power just not there? This assumes that the 3-d tables would be more intuitive/easier to manipulate... But then these are the words of someone who has yet to burn his 1st chip! Guess I'm just a technology whore! Gotta have the "best" stuff!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    ... we'd need a lot of additional data storage space. On the other hand, you don't necessarily need such high resolution in the 'middle' boost range - since you'll basically be 'just passing thru' those ranges as the turbo spools up. Anyway, it needs some thought.
    I am by NO means any good at understanding the computer process yet, but my thought on this theory of lowering the "middle boost" resolution is this. What about the guy who wants to set the max boost to 21 psi (a middle boost for a 3 bar) is he going to have issues with the low resolution?

My idea would be a low resolution for low boost like under 13psi cause that is where less problems would occur if using a lower resolution.

Like i said maybe i am way off but this is what made sense to me theoretically.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Actually, I don't think it's going to be an issue. Should be able to have high resolution on all 3D data points. I may have to move the start point of the code section to accommodate the bigger tables, but that's not really a big deal...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

sweet this is motivation for me to get my R/T together again

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    I'm anxiously awaiting this version, as it seems to me to have potential to make the others kinda obsolete... Would the code run on a SMEC or is the computing power just not there? This assumes that the 3-d tables would be more intuitive/easier to manipulate... But then these are the words of someone who has yet to burn his 1st chip! Guess I'm just a technology whore! Gotta have the "best" stuff!

Mike
    What he said,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Here's an idea on the problem of resolution of the MAP, since the difficulty is due to the fact that as the max boost goes up, all we can do is more finely chop up the 0-5V signal, which starts to make "noise" more and more dangerous, what about soldering onto the board a pressure sensor that could use a 0-12V or some other larger voltage range?

I've seen this done on a stand-alone, they had a built in 5 bar sensor, but still had excellent resolution in a N/A application, I figure it is because it is using a larger voltage range...

Anywho, just my .02.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

The problem there is that the A/D converter in our ecu is only 8-bit. Changing to a 12 volt system really would make no difference.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

The problem there is that the A/D converter in our ecu is only 8-bit. Changing to a 12 volt system really would make no difference.
    So... The hardware won't see the larger "scale" that a higher voltage MAP would bring? Or is it that you can only chop the signal into so many pieces regardless of the voltage? If the latter, I would think it would still be an advantage, but only as a means of reducing "noise"....

How about using a digital signal? Any way of getting that into the "box", or is this a non-problem?

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Right. It doesn't matter what the voltage is - it's going to be segmented into 256 steps. So, if it's 5v or 12v doesn't matter. A 2-bar map will have the same resolution with an 8-bit A/D. If we could somehow change to a CPU with a 10- or 12-bit A/D - that would help.

It's not really a big deal anyway. We have 2D cals runnign 3-bar MAPS with no driveability problems and passing emissions. The 3D cals will be more accurate, so I don't see an issue...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

It's not really a big deal anyway. We have 2D cals running 3-bar MAPS with no driveability problems and passing emissions. The 3D cals will be more accurate, so I don't see an issue...
    That's what I was wondering, so it's really a non-problem... Now, when I start running a 5-bar cal....

Mike

- Edmund Burke

boostaholic

Any update on this, Looking forward to putting this on my IROC?

OK, so I had an aha moment today. Been working on figuring out how the main PW is calculated in the T3 cals and I figured the math out today!

Actually, the .asm and the template for the '91 T3 are pretty much done. I need to do some tests to make sure it compiles back to stock code, then I can add the turbonator features. That should be no problem as it will be the same as T-SBEC for the SOHC 2.2 and 2.5.

Morris has been working hard on MP Tuner 2. Many of the features required to properly scale a 3D cal are already in MPT2, hopefully we can get it all worked out before he's ready to release it. The MAP scaling is nearly done. And, now that I have a full grasp of the fuelling, we can get that scaling ready to go.

The '92 T3 will be next behind the '91 as it's nearly identical to the '91 except for some hardware interface differences. '92+ T1 will be right after the T3...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

sahweet!!!!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Oh, I meant to post a request - I'm going to need a beta tester. I do still have my father-in-laws Spirit R/T. As long as it's still around I can use it for testing. But, it's up for sale. If it goes I won't have anything to test with.

So, I need someone who can test the code; But there are a few requirements:

1) Test bone stock cal made from the Turbonator ASM
    2) Test with a 3-bar big injector cal (+20 or +40, etc. it doesn't matter really)
    3) Can burn your own cals

Any takers?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

calling mark brooks, calling mark brooks..... well as long as i bring my burner and he gets a latch adapter.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    calling mark brooks, calling mark brooks..... well as long as i bring my burner and he gets a latch adapter.

Brian
    I'm in. Tell me what I need to buy brian and you can play with my car

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

your makin me want to rig up my car for the 92 SBEC now....lol...

turbo addict

I have an ostrich, stock car at the moment and a 3 bar and +40s in the drawer. Just have to buy another latch adaper from you.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hmm, sounds like I need to bust out the soldering iron and put together some more latch boards...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Hmm, sounds like I need to bust out the soldering iron and put together some more latch boards...
    If I had a good desoldering iron I could just nab the one from the sbec you built for me. the shadow isnt going anywhere.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast