Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: number 3 cylinder will not fire

number 3 cylinder will not fire

working on a 90 vnt daytona, new spark plugs and getting spark, changed number 3 injector and checked to see if it was spraying fuel and it was. changed the distributor cap and hep. basically all electrical except the harness for fuel rail but didnt see need for that because all wires looked good and was shooting fuel. pulled valve cover and seems that head is working fine (valves, rockers, etc.) compression tested 120 across the board. took off #2 and 4 spark plug wires while running and car dies but when #3 was removed nothing changed. checked timing time and time again and also went through the vac lines replacing all damaged. any and all ideas welcome.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Re: number 3 cylinder will not fire

I can vouch for this... Never been this stumped
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

turbo addict

Plug wire terminal is not pushed all the way in the cap
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What happened when you pulled #1 wire off? Have you tried new wires and are you sure you have the firing order correct?

Do a leak down test. When its running, try spraying carb cleaner around the intake on that cylinder, if it changes, intake is leaking.

Swap injectors from another cylinder and see if the miss moves. Any codes?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

no codes but didnt really see a reason to swap injectors from one cylinder to the other because we took a known good injector and put it in the 3 spot and even lifted the fuel rail then cranked the engine and it was pushing out fuel when it was supposed to. and we also checked to make sure that all wires were connected properly. thanks for the insight though. didnt try the carb cleaner though, maybe try that tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSBRANT View Post
    no codes but didnt really see a reason to swap injectors from one cylinder to the other because we took a known good injector and put it in the 3 spot and even lifted the fuel rail then cranked the engine and it was pushing out fuel when it was supposed to. and we also checked to make sure that all wires were connected properly. thanks for the insight though. didnt try the carb cleaner though, maybe try that tonight.
    Ok, so that rules out injectors.

What plug wires? Triple check firing order.

If the above tests are good, I would say you've got a blown head gasket-the leak down test will help pinpoint that.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Compression test 115+ across the board... 1342 firing order correct.... Plug wire fully seated in the cap.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

turbo addict

mabe chucked a rocker ???

turbo addict

this happened to me, but it was the wires at the base of the connector for the fuel injector. the rubber covered it up, so i didnt see it right off the bat. the wires were twisted together and had rubbed the insulation till the wires had exposed copper. it would randomly misfire, or constant misfire while driving it. when i did the same test as you by removing rail and checking for fuel, the wires would no longer short out and start working.

i would also check for vacuum leaks on the manifold itself with brake clean/carb cleaner

Hybrid booster

i had a buddy that had an issue with #4 not firing on his turbo1, we pulled our hair out trying to find it, we finally did, he had the hep in 180 degrees out. even with the little locator on it he managed to do that.installed it correctly, ran perfectly. idk if the car your working on has that same setup,but you may want to look there if it does.

turbo addict

Is the ground on the injector harness?
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

turbo addict

You're getting fuel @ the injector and it's firing ...
    You've got spark @ #3 plug ...
    There's 115+ compression in the cylinder ....

Should fire unless fuel isn't getting into the cylinder.(plug should be soaked with fuel, right?) If not, is #3 cylinder intake valve frozen?

turbo addict

Ken, Brant,

Swap out another injector wiring harness. I forgot I did have this happen to me shortly after buying my CSX-T. The harness had a short when all bolted up but when I pulled the rail to check if all injectors were functional I moved the harness just so that the injector would start working again...bolt it back up and of course it quit working.

Brad, Pulled the valve cover... All rockers/lifters in tact and working... Harness it is... next check...
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

You gotta do a leak down test and check the intake like its been suggested.

just to shoot it out there..... can an I-roc RT injector harness been spliced in with the VNT harness? cant seem to find a daytona harness here ;(

Garrett booster

I have seen spark plugs that don't fire. Right out of the box. Have you tried a different plug in that hole. Just something to try not saying that's it.

Tommy... thanks... did that.... same effect
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

boostaholic

Try swapping plug wires in the distributor cap?

Pull the plug wire off, put an old good spark plug on it, and hold the plug to the valve cover (somewhere it will be grounded). Have a buddy crank the engine. Watch for the plug to spark.
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

Again... did that as well. Thanks for all the suggestions...
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast