Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buyer beware

Hybrid booster

Buyer beware

I'd first like to start out by saying that I love this site and all of the information I've gotten from it! That said, I'd like to reflect on some problems that I've recently had buying items through the classified section here.
    1) If you list something for sale, and someone buys it, please be able to ship it out in a timely fashion. I recently purchased a set of side louvers for my Daytona and they weren't shipped for over a month after the purchase. I don't want to hear you whining about "Paypal held the funds". That's not my problem...I paid, I want my stuff.
    2) If you list something for sale, please list it accurately. I recently bought a T2 turbo here and it was listed in good shape with a large wastegate can, and 2.5" swingvalve. When I got it, it had a small wastegate can, and a 2.25" swingvalve. Not to mention that the compressor wheel looks like someone shoved a metal pipe in it while it was spinning.
    3) If you sell something on here, and ship it, please take care when packaging it. On the above mentioned turbo, it was packed in a cardboard box stuffed with old plastic bags. Plastic bags don't make good packing material! The turbo was half hanging out of the box when I received it and the (small) wastegate actuator was destroyed.
    4) If you are selling a turbo, please have an idea of the condition it's in before listing it. I recently bought a Super 60 turbo on here that was listed as "some shaft play, will need rebuild" I was so happy to see that I could buy this for the low low price of $300 and have a Super 60 turbo on my Daytona! When I got it I ordered a rebuild kit from Gpopshop and started the rebuild. I took the turbine shaft out and it looks like a screw there are so many gouges in it. So I send the turbo to Gpopshop to see if they can save it and nope! The turbine shaft needs to be replaced, along with the bearing housing. So it looks like I bought a $300 Super 60 compressor wheel and cover (the only worthwhile parts).
    I guess that's about it, I'll get off my soapbox now. I'm just a bit peeved that now I've spent about as much on 2 junk turbos, rebuild kits, and shipping as I would have spent getting a nice T3/T4 from Chris. I guess you live and learn!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Buyer beware

Have you taken up these issues with the sellers?

I wouldn't blame the forum, I've bought tons of stuff from here and have never had a problem....

For example I bought a turbo from tryingbe and it's in perfect condition

turbo addict

everyone has a different idea of what mint is eh? seems to differ too is selling or buying.

if the seller misrepresented the item blatantly or sent the wrong part "the swing valve" then perhaps leave some negative feedback to warn others of their shady practices.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Hybrid booster

Sorry to hear about your luck I can understand your frustration.

It might be helpfull if you posted these in the feedback area if the sellers were not willing to help make it right. It would help all of us to know who is miss representing there items.
    KO, 86 T&C Turbo II 89 Daytona Shelby 84 Stingray SVB165SS

For point number 4, I really don't think anyone completely disassembles a turbo to check the shaft condition before selling it. That can be a straight honest mistake. Are S60s really worth $300 even needing a rebuild?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by omni_840 View Post
    Have you taken up these issues with the sellers?

I wouldn't blame the forum, I've bought tons of stuff from here and have never had a problem....

For example I bought a turbo from tryingbe and it's in perfect condition
    I'm not blaming the forum at all! I love this place, and have bought quite a few items on here as well that haven't had problems. It just seems I'm on a string of bad luck so to speak.

I too know the feeling, there are ALOT of morons among us, quite a few on our site. Picked up a 1990 Daytona in PA, I live in MI, was told crank was brand new, NOT, it was ground .010-,010 then I see after I clean the goo crap off it that it had slight rust on journals, WTF. Once I unwrapped the block one ear was crack from being in a front end wreck which the pos neglected to tell me. Front windhsield was broke, ERRRRR....I asked for many pics and he sent a few, obviously well thought out pictures. ANOTHER thing rust free means NO RUST, its pretty dam simple!! Drove 6.5 one way I wasnt going home empty hand so I had suck it up.
    I won an ebay autcion and the guy insisted it was rust free, thankfully I drove out next day like 1.5hrs and the f%(^%( had rust holes in it..omg...then the idiot calls me asking when Im going to give deposit, I said Im not the car isnt rust free as stated, the idiot starts arguing it is, told him 'listen I have pictures so quit saying its rust free', f&(% pos keeps crying about how he has to pay listing, he didnt give a sh*&(+ I just drove 3hrs round trip to look at a car he lied about.
    I think we should start a fund that way when this happens we use that fund to hire a lawyer because bad news people when you make a deal and send mail about rust free, parts included if it etc...if it isnt just as described you HAVE broken the law. This site and others needs to be alot harder on this type of bs, I would pay some type of fee to see law enforcement.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by impuresoul2k3 View Post
    For point number 4, I really don't think anyone completely disassembles a turbo to check the shaft condition before selling it. That can be a straight honest mistake. Are S60s really worth $300 even needing a rebuild?
    I thought they were! I was looking at an s60 from TU for $765 (no core). I figured I could save a buck or two just buying one and doing a quick rebuild. I guess I was wrong.

^^We dont care about his HONEST mistake, inspect it, make sure you know what your selling to one of us, frankly when I hear someone make an excuse for another he looks nearly as shifty!!!!!!!!!! He sent the guy hard earned green backs for a GOOD rebuild-able turbo END OF STORY. NOt becasue of this, or that, or this.....

turbo addict

On #1: That's why I don't bother with Paypal. Now, if I had Paypal and the payment was being held up, I don't think I'd ship anything either. If the money isn't in my hand or account, it doesn't ship.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I once bought a 2 piece intake that was packaged in a bok way too small for it. More like it had cardboard wrapped around it and taped. The fuel rail was hanging out of the box when I got it, miraculously undamaged.

A couple weeks ago I purchased a throttle body. It was shipped in a largish USPS flat rate box... no packing material whatsoever. It was just bouncing around in there.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by impuresoul2k3 View Post
    How is that an honest mistake? If there's any question in your mind before you sell something as to the condition it's in, let the buyer know. That way if said buyer decides they're going to fork over $300 for it, they know there's a chance it might be a piece of garbage when it gets there.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Buying used turbo's is a crap shoot, unless its torn apart, you can't know for sure what it needs but misleading or damaged compressor wheels are easy to spot and be called out on.

I bought a supposed T2 turbo with a .63 housing, photo's looked good, bought it, showed up, looked good, never really looked at it, resold it as plans changed. Turned out it was a stage 2 housing with a stage 1 turbine wheel and the compressor wheel was damaged, gave the buyer a partial refund.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by audiomaninc View Post
    How is that an honest mistake? If there's any question in your mind before you sell something as to the condition it's in, let the buyer know. That way if said buyer decides they're going to fork over $300 for it, they know there's a chance it might be a piece of garbage when it gets there.
    I agree, but then the seller could not list it for 300 bones. Many people believe ignorance is an excuse.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

I've been selling Mopar parts for 30 years and have seen my share of crap packaging,
    pathetic & incredible lies when it comes to describing the condition of parts,and general rip offs. Most transactions are on the up and up though. Some of the worst packaging was Chrysler in the 80sarts in boxes /no packing,parts in boxes too small and my favorite.... bending parts at the L.A. depot so they would fit in the metal cages. Yeah like I was going to buy rocker mldgs bent in half. WTF?

turbo addict

Always ask for detail and good quality pictures. Don't jump on the too-good-to-be-true deals... there is a reason why they priced as such.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

My favorite are those who complain when I give a shipping quote for something. yeah I'll ship it with no padding or packaging in a super small box so theres about a 99% chance it will get damaged or destroyed... you'll have no problem ripping me a new one in feedback because you did get your cheap shipping out of it

Anyone who's bought from me can testify that I dont take shipping/packaging parts lightly

turbo addict

on #2 i NEVER listed that turbo to have a large wastegate can. i bought the turbo with the wheel like that ran it that way and never had a problem. hell i even posted pictures of the compressor wheel. i had no idea that there was anything wrong with the wheel. i got it that way and assumed it was a good turbo. never gave me any problems. i ran it for 2 years @20psi. one mistake though. could have sworn that it was a 2.5in swingvalve on that turbo.

turbo addict

We all make mistakes, but it sounds like you owe him a 2.5" swing valve. If you advertise it as such, then you should provide the buyer with what was advertised or give him his money back. Thats only fair. It might be an "honest" mistake, but none-the-less a mistake. We should make good on our mistakes.

^^ 100%, your mistake ISNT his mistake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast