Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stressed outttt

Garrett booster

stressed outttt

ok, here goes... car is running rich, as in 10 to 1 a/f. my vac gauge is reading 10" of vaccuum. obviously plugs are black. father in law put in 87 octance... all i ran is 93, and obviously there is an issue... i did a compression test, 125 across the borad. the car is running real rough, i pulled the wires off one by one, and noticed that 3 and 4 are not contributing as much as 1 and 2. had a code 52 and 12. i had a new map laying around, plugged it in, and it help a smidgent. does anyone have ideas??? oh yeah, car is a 89 Daytona Shelby, 2.5 t3/t4 hybrid, and a few other odd and ends. car is running on stock 89 2.5T1 cal, boost via mbc @ 12 psi. stock ignition timing too...

turbo addict

Re: stressed outttt

what is your fuel preasure at?

Garrett booster

stock fpr, stock pressure and pump. pulled vac line off of vac block, sucked and blew on line to see if i can get gas out... nothing...

turbo addict

i take it you actually looked at the plugs? Are you sure timing is on?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfedmopar View Post
    i take it you actually looked at the plugs? Are you sure timing is on?
    +1 check both ignition and cam timing

also, what t3/t4 hybrid? many many wheel/housing options

and what fuel injectors?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Code 52 is a bad voltage reading (out od range) from the O2. When that code is set off the car goes full rich to make sure you don't blow it up. Get a new mopar oxygen sensor or NTK sensor. After you replace the sensor make sure you unplugged the battery to reset the computer.
    The 10 inches of vacuum could be a vacuum leak or cam timing, although if it were low vacuum becuase of cam timing, I would think cam timing would be so far off it wouldn't run. If you have a bad vacuum leak causing low vacuum, the map will think the car is under load or moving and will dump a lot more fuel too, even though you are at idle.
    later
    Cindy
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Garrett booster

timing is dead on... stock everything, except the turbo and a fmic... the turbo is a 50trim. ignition timing has not been touched except for initial setup. (motor is 3 months old now), car was running awesome, then all of a sudden to this. the only hint i got something was going wrong was on the wideband it was showing 10-11 to 1 off throtlle cruising, then just tipping in to cruise it would fluxuate from a low 14 to mid 15. on decel it would go full rich, then to like 16-17 to 1 till i got back on it. then a few days later i noticed the check engine lamp would come on for a sec. then stay off. and run like poop... and yes i looked at the plugs... black as rich can be, oh and those are stock too, new of course. there are no audible vacuum leaks, i even unpluged the brake booster and capped of the nipple on the intake, no change.

Hybrid booster

Listen to Cindy above.
    Your 02 sensor has whacked out.
    They get real unhappy when that sensor goes bad.
    And don't put a piece of crap Bosch sensor in there.

Hybrid booster

Since its givin up a code that points to a fuel controlling sensor,go for that first. If its idling like crap,you prob gonna fix the low vac at same time when it smooths out.

Garrett booster

will a O2 sensor crap out like that??? i never ever heard of something like that... funny you mention bosch... LOL it was what was available to get my car on the road... so, ma mopar or NGK???

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Simple test to rule out the ox sensor, simply disconnect it and reset the memory, if car runs great, get a new sensor, if not, you have other issues. If you have still have low vacuum, triple check your cam timing, it could have jumped. Check your fuel pressure.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

i will do everything this weekend... it sux being a tow truck driver... lol so anyways, my gameplan is as follows... 1.) try out the O2 per turbovanman (not a fan of throwing parts...) 2.) spray intake and other vacuum related parts with carb and choke cleaner to see if i got leak.. any more suggestions???

Hybrid booster

Or you can do it the right way and hook the car up to a scan tool and read the sensors. After you check the basics. Why people try to work on these things blind I have no clue. Best investment you will ever make is a scan tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Abkshelby View Post
    Or you can do it the right way and hook the car up to a scan tool and read the sensors. After you check the basics. Why people try to work on these things blind I have no clue. Best investment you will ever make is a scan tool.
    Not taking sides or kissing butt, but hell yes your right...i bought a OTC 3000 for my shadow and it was the best damn thing i ever spent money on for the shadow.If i may sneak a link in...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/OTC-4000-enhance-...item20b056fe75

Quote Originally Posted by Abkshelby View Post
    Agreed to a point but a stuck ox sensors shows up on a scanner as, shock, a rich reading ox sensor, it WON'T tell you the sensor is dead, you need a multimeter, labscope for that. Easiest way it what I suggested.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Agreed to a point but a stuck ox sensors shows up on a scanner as, shock, a rich reading ox sensor, it WON'T tell you the sensor is dead, you need a multimeter, labscope for that. Easiest way it what I suggested.
    I've never needed to check a 02 sensor I suspected as bad with a multimeter. The readings on the scan tool assure me if the sensor is bad. If something is causing the sensor to hang rich that needs to be corrected first. Basics are presumed well before any sensors are even read. Plus the dude says he used a Bosch sensor. Turbo Dodge cars do not react well with them. They burn out prematurely. Others may say different but I know first hand they are junk.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdude View Post
    Not taking sides or kissing butt, but hell yes your right...i bought a OTC 3000 for my shadow and it was the best damn thing i ever spent money on for the shadow.If i may sneak a link in...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/OTC-4000-enhance-...item20b056fe75
    And thank you for agreeing with me.
    Few on here ever do and I usually just don't even offer advice anymore on here. A lot of these so called turbo Dodge experts I'd never let touch my cars.

Garrett booster

thanx for the help thus far... i will be playing with the car tomorrow pending on the weather, hopefully its something wicked stooopid... it just dont make sense for this to happen...

Garrett booster

ok... got to play a little... unplugged the O2, no change, no CEL, then again with the car in open loop (cold) i dont think the computer will even read it at that point... i then decided to unplug the coolant temp sensor and see if the car would run on base timing... HOLLY crap it runs better! the vacuum is around 18", which as i've noticed for the car is normal when cold. and its nice and smooth again! so... heres my thinking... bad hep, bad computer, or bad ECT sensor... thoughts???

Quote Originally Posted by 89scottytona View Post
    ok... got to play a little... unplugged the O2, no change, no CEL, then again with the car in open loop (cold) i dont think the computer will even read it at that point... i then decided to unplug the coolant temp sensor and see if the car would run on base timing... HOLLY crap it runs better! the vacuum is around 18", which as i've noticed for the car is normal when cold. and its nice and smooth again! so... heres my thinking... bad hep, bad computer, or bad ECT sensor... thoughts???
    Well at this point, borrow a scanner or just put a coolant sensor is. Usually bad coolant sensors throw a code but if its running as bad as you say, then it could be the coolant sensor. You've ruled out the ox sensor as being bad, for now,

Quote Originally Posted by Abkshelby
    I've never needed to check a 02 sensor I suspected as bad with a multimeter. The readings on the scan tool assure me if the sensor is bad. If something is causing the sensor to hang rich that needs to be corrected first. Basics are presumed well before any sensors are even read. Plus the dude says he used a Bosch sensor. Turbo Dodge cars do not react well with them. They burn out prematurely. Others may say different but I know first hand they are junk.
    Your a lucky man, I've diagnosed many a bad oxygen sensor using my labscope that showed up as good using a scanner. Scanners read at such a slow rate I've had sensors stuck at .4 and shown up as toggling on a sensor. Not trying to get in a pissing match here but a scanner is a tool, and can help diagnose issues, it does make it alot easier but it can be done without it, sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast