Thread: Lots of fault codes need help.

Hybrid booster

Lots of fault codes need help.

First off the car is an 86 shelby charger. Converted to T2. fwdp stage5 logic module, 3 bar map, big exhaust, +40 injectors

My car has lots of issues with it so I finally was able to bust out the OTC and scan the engine codes with it running and got well.. a LOT of codes.. Need some help.

15-Speed Sensor- It's brand new just installed it. I assume wiring is messed up somewhere and its not getting signal. I'll figure this out.

24- Throttle Position Sensor- Kinda assumed this was bad. Checked voltage with car running via OTC and it was cycling 0.XX,1.XX,2.XX,3.XX,4.XX non stopped and never holding steady voltage based on my rpm.s

25- Idle speed motor - What is this???

27- Fuel injectors 3&4 - The engine runs and drives I can't imagine fuel injectors 3 and 4 aren't firing properly? It doesn't feel like it's running on 2 cylinders or starving those cylinders. I'd imagine by now I woulda popped #4 if it was running it extra lean by not firing.

31- Purge solenoid - Wtf is this?

51- o2 sensor - running lean
    52- o2 sensor - running rich

Which is it? It was reading 0.66volts and 1.4X ( i think ) volts steadily

53- 85-86 logic module failure

Apparently my logic module is just super failure??

Anyways. The coolant temp sensor is bad as well I believe. I was watching the engine temps via OTC and it was up to temp then I looked at it a few minutes later and it was randomly reading 0 degrees, then going back to reading but it would read 260 then 170 then 230 then 210 then randomly back to 0.

The OTC was reading my RPM as 3-400rpm or so higher than actual and was jumping from 1600 to 1900 rpm on the OTC even though my engine rpm wasn't changing at all??? (Idle rpm is set to around 1300 right now (don't ask lol))...

Anyways, My car just got back running and on the road and failed the emissions check so I'm working on fixing everything up and getting it running in good condition since it's obviously only half assing it down the road right now lol.. Any input on anything I've said here would be great.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

Re: Lots of fault codes need help.

try a different year on the otc scanner
    think I had the same problem before
    when ever the rpm was off, I'd try a different year and everything was fine
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

Hybrid booster

Oh now that you mention it I punched in 86 and just said 86 but my car is an 87 so I'll try that. I'm still pretty confident that my coolant temp sensor and tps and such are probably on the fritz though.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

yes, use the engine code for a t-2 1987 like daytona shelby z
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Hybrid booster

On a side note to give some background on the car. It runs pretty roughly. Cold starts it will stall several times unless I give it some throttle for 30 seconds of so when I first start it. (TPS I assume). When I press in the clutch while driving sometimes it will not catch itself and will stall (speed sensor). While driving around sometimes it will run like crap and lean out for a minute (bad coolant sensor?)

What is the intake temp sensor supposed to read? The OTC was showing 108*. Is that right? I don't have a port for the sensor in the intake manifold since I'm not running the 2 port t2 manifold yet and my vac block is in the only port i've got at the moment. I installed the sensor into a piece of my intercooler piping maybe 1 foot and a half of pipe before the throttle body. I figured that would show some pretty accurate intake temps?

What is the 8th digit in an 87 T2 car so I can punch it into the OTC??

Hybrid booster

I pulled a TPS, AIS & coolant temp sensor off a car at the junk yard and threw those on. The car no longer stalls when you push in the clutch while driving, as well as cold starts it doesn't stall. So it's running way better already. Got a buncha oil leaks I need to deal with (LOTS ) but it's a start at getting it running good and getting it to pass echeck.

Hybrid booster

Update. I think the AIS I threw on my car from a junk car is bad. Drove the car again just now and the idle was surging pretty bad from 1000-1500 rpm.. Running richer than before and when I turned the car off and tried to restart it it wouldnt crank over (I think flooded the motor a bit) Cause after about 5-10 minutes cranking here and there it finally cranked over and fired up. GOnna throw the old one back on and see if that fixes it...

I'm thinking about going back to stock computer. I've always in the back of my mind thought this fwdp s5 cal wasn't right in some way so I think I'm going to track down some stock injectors and a stock computer and go back to it and see if I can get the car running right that way, then I'll worry about upgrading the computer.

boostaholic

Make sure you have good power and ground at the ECU. Doesn't take much resistence on the ground to cause problems.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Vendor

Throwing a performance computer, especially a Stage 5, at a car that may already have issues is not the best way to go. You probably do need to take a step back. Also, Stage 5 might not be right for your setup…..ported manifolds, big valve, big turbo, cams, etc… is more in line… Did you buy the computer from us or get it second hand? Give Cindy a call at the shop and maybe she can help you sort some things out.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR] is a performance parts and service business catering to a variety of high performance cars. We carry a full line of products to service and upgrade [I][COLOR="#FF0000"]Turbo Mopars, Shelby Dodges and Chryslers[/COLOR][/I] of all makes, models and years. From parts to service, fabrication and dyno tuning there is something for everyone. Visit our store at [COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR], we'd love to hear from you![/SIZE]

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Throwing a performance computer, especially a Stage 5, at a car that may already have issues is not the best way to go. You probably do need to take a step back. Also, Stage 5 might not be right for your setup…..ported manifolds, big valve, big turbo, cams, etc… is more in line… Did you buy the computer from us or get it second hand? Give Cindy a call at the shop and maybe she can help you sort some things out.
    I got it from you guys, was actually thinking about giving you a call and seeing if an exhange were possible. The car is setup for the s5 to a point and had intentions of finishing it off but then life happens and the car sat for 2 years so now I'm just trying to get it running good and back on the road again. I think step #1 is going to be going back to stock T2 setup with my big exhaust & intercooler taking it back to basics to get things going in the right direction.