Thread: 568 rebuild guide

turbo addict

568 rebuild guide

I am looking at taking apart this 568 I have for my shadow to check everything over. Are there any manuals for the 568 I can use. I am pretty good with a transmission but I just want to be sure about the shift rods and how to remove them.

Also I forget where I found the info on where to get bearings and such for it, I have a TU stg 2 clutch and I want to make sure the input bearing is good. I have already taken the cover off and Ive taken the bearing plate off. The 5th gear blocker ring looks awesome but I want to be sure of the other gears.

Thanks

Hybrid booster

Re: 568 rebuild guide

Factory service manual, there is no substitute.

turbo addict

Actually I just found some of it on mitchell but would anyone be cool enough to copy that section for me?

turbo addict

Why are the rebuild kits for the 568 so expensve? According to the KC most of the parts are the same with the exception of the I-shaft bearing and some snap rings. Where is a good place to pick up some parts separately I only want to replace the seals and maybe the input bearing. And what should I replace while I am in there ( I am already getting the pin retainers)

and on the pin retainers do I need the A or B part number?

Edit: dammit I need to read the KC closer I see that they have transtar part numbers YAY! I get a transtar discount through the school

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGLH View Post
    Factory service manual, there is no substitute.
    +1

You can find them on ebay for very reasonable prices now.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Why are the rebuild kits for the 568 so expensve?
    Go price out the items from the dealer. I just went through this gathering parts for my 568 build over the last several weeks. Every rebuild kit vendor I could find included all the parts I would expect except the ones that are NS1 from the dealer. Sure, you can do the seals and bearings for about $300 in parts if you shop around. The roller bearing and race on the counter shaft is $pendy but you really should do it since it sees a ton of load all the time. Blocker rings things get pricey; need hard parts and things go through the roof if they are still available. 1-2 & 5 shift fork pads are NS1; hope yours are in good shape. The best price I found for a kit was through Cobra Transmissions out of Miami Fl. They did admit their price on the website had not been updated and had increased significantly, but honored the website pricing I don't know if it's been updated since.

The nice thing about the 523/568 is that they use the same parts except the input shaft, speed gears and differential. All the wear items are interchangeable. So, if it comes down to it you can pillage a lesser trans for parts like I did if you get a good deal on one.

The factory FSM is nearly invaluable when doing these transmissions. Especially for reassembly.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

i found alot of the snap rings on my lost their tension when taking the gear stacks apart,i squat mine again but would be nice to have new ones,

i found the hardest part is the selector shafts and the 2 metal square dowls and getting them put in right for it to shift