Thread: Where does everyone go for TII wiring harness conversions?

Where does everyone go for TII wiring harness conversions?

I'm upgrading my harness and was wondering where everyone sent their stuff to get it converted?

I have an 89 and putting it in an 85 Charger. Who does it and how do I contact them? I have questions and needs...

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

Re: Where does everyone go for TII wiring harness conversions?

Throw out some questions, and we'll see if we can't answer them. I have pretty much all the diagrams for 89 and 85, although the 85 I used was a Super-K, I would assume it to be the same as an 85 charger.

It's just a lot of cutting and splicing, basically. You do the mechanical part, which would be swapping over to the 89 intake, then you connect everything via the smec harness under the hood, then you have to cut and splice the 89 harness onto the 85 bulkhead connector that goes into the firewall, or vice versa. Quite honestly, it's a huge pain in the butt, and if you don't have the time to do it, then go through it a few times (IE, if you need the car immediately), I wouldn't suggest it.

However, if you do have the time, it can be a fun project.

Let me know what info you need, and I'll see what I can't do for you.

Oh, and here's a few diagrams to give you an idea what you're working with...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85 bulkhead.JPG 
Views:	310 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	72   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S-HK 50 way bulkhead disconnect engine side-B.JPG 
Views:	298 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	73  
    Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

I need the ends to terminiate so I can change the Daytona 50 way bulk to work with my 40 way bulk. The ends are different. And I'm reterminating ends in certain areas because they are about to come lose and I need something that will snap in like the factory ones.

I figure the guys that do this stuff all the time probably have the right ends or ones that work. I need these.

Thanks Sub,

minigts

Well, those two diagrams are really all you need. Basically, it goes like this:

Most of the wire colors will be the same for the two years. Ie, the pink/black stripe wire will probably match with the pink/black stripe from the other year.

You print out those two diagrams, then start matching stuff up. A lot of stuff is not necessary, ie, if you have no a/c, then just don't worry about those. Same with cruise control (Speed control, i believe they call it).

Some of the windshield wiper wires are different colors, but that's basically the second round of clean up i was talking about.

Start with the two harnesses, and have the bulkheads in front of you. Let's say you start at #40, and work your way to 1.

#40 on the 85 is a gray and yellow wire for the oil pressure sending unit. Now, look on the 50 way for the oil pressure sending unit. This turns out to be #19 on the 50 way, and it's the same color.

Just make your way through all the wires like that, maybe make a correlation chart, and give it a shot.

Hope that helps.
    Damon

-Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215

You posted this on another thread. Can you get a wiring harness from the inside of a Daytona and make it work in a Charger?

Maybe. It's a different car, and you're going for a different year, so who knows. I would say you have a great chance of making it work, and you should be able to get the thing for relatively nothing, so why not try?
    Damon

-Eleanor Roosevelt

You have one you want to send me?

Dude. You have the diagrams. You could be done already.

Get to work!
    Damon

-Eleanor Roosevelt

Hybrid booster

Just for clarification sake...this is for converting the engine bay wiring harness bulkhead connector of the SMEC harness to work with the 40 way bulkhead connector on the early cars to run the stuff on the inside?

Quote Originally Posted by The S is Silent
    Just for clarification sake...this is for converting the engine bay wiring harness bulkhead connector of the SMEC harness to work with the 40 way bulkhead connector on the early cars to run the stuff on the inside?

Yes. I started thinking about it and I'd probably be better off just converting the engine harness, so I think I'm going to just focus on the engine harness.

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal
    Dude. You have the diagrams. You could be done already.

Get to work!
    And I'm workin' on it! I'm workin' on it! I'll be done soon enough. I'm moving the fuse links to a fuse block along with the relays, so I'm making sure everything is right before I say "I'm done". Seriously though, I need those wire ends to terminate. I contacted the guy from MF Wiring Solutions about some ends. I want to either do it with the factory ones or ones that will work. Those ends have the holes in them to snap in place when they hit the little places in the plug. I need to do this right.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

Damn, you mean you can get someone to do these! I spent probably a couple of hundred hours total doing my conversion. Of course that includes prowling junkyards for suitable donor harnesses. Then I spent the rest of the time with a soldering iron, heat shrink and tape to get the setup I needed. Now I'm getting ready to repeat it so I can use a SMEC instead of the 2 piece setup.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by minigts
    Yes. I started thinking about it and I'd probably be better off just converting the engine harness, so I think I'm going to just focus on the engine harness.

And I'm workin' on it! I'm workin' on it! I'll be done soon enough. I'm moving the fuse links to a fuse block along with the relays, so I'm making sure everything is right before I say "I'm done". Seriously though, I need those wire ends to terminate. I contacted the guy from MF Wiring Solutions about some ends. I want to either do it with the factory ones or ones that will work. Those ends have the holes in them to snap in place when they hit the little places in the plug. I need to do this right.
    Let us know if you find someplace that you can get the pins. I need a bunch of the larger blade ones with the holes. I'm with you on this one...I want it done right.

Quote Originally Posted by The S is Silent
    Let us know if you find someplace that you can get the pins. I need a bunch of the larger blade ones with the holes. I'm with you on this one...I want it done right.
    You are in luck my friend. I did find a place and they sell the blades as well as the ends for the 6 pin and 8 pin connectors for the harness, like at the fuel rail and what not. I also found the ends for the O2 sensor, knock sensor and so forth. I didn't bother getting the ends for the connectors to the fuel rail becuase I didn't need them, but they were pretty helpful in getting what I needed.

Part numbers are below. The last 2 ARE different. One is slightly larger than the other. I bought both to make sure I got the right one. I'm sure I will need both.

I have only received the tab/blades so far. They ARE AN EXACT match, but not the easiest to crimp larger gauge wires in a 20-18 gauge end. But that's what we have on there now so......

Enjoy!

85355 Chrysler tab/blade 20-18 gauge (M) for 40 way bulk

85371 Chrysler pin 20-18 gauge (F) for O2 sensor type plug

85372 Chrysler pin 20-18 gauge (F) for detonation sensor type plug

LBC Autoparts Warehouse
    135 South 5th Street
    Newport, PA 17074

Any number will work.

800-382-1322
    888-3DORMAN
    717-567-7711
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Dang! Those little suckers are expensive!!!! I was thinking about getting 40 of them, but now I have to rethink that approach.

How many did you end up getting?

Hybrid booster

Some more:

www.dormanproducts.com is the web site

638843 Chrysler tab/blade 16-14 gauge (M) for 40 way bulk

Wow, thanks for posting. This part number below is not the right one.

85372 Chrysler pin 20-18 gauge (F) for detonation sensor type plug

It's still too big. I was thinking it would be the right size when I ordered it but its still pretty big, not good enough for the two wire Charge Temp Sensor

And I was going to order like 100, but they didn't have that part number so I ordered 40. Cost me a good deal since they only came in packs of 5. The other part number came in packs of 25.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Oh, so it's like $2.50 for 5 of them? For the blades, right?

Why did you need the oxygen sensor plug and the knock sensor plug pins? I haven't gotten that far, and if I need them, I'd like to get it all in one shot.

Garrett booster

http://geocities.com/csx16v/

Mark Fink makes conversion harnesses, he does very nice work. I made a harness and it is not easy, time consuming and it's a headache. for the quality of work he does I have to say it's well worth the money spent.

Edit: his company name is MF Wiring Solutions