Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: helicoiling head

turbo addict

helicoiling head

Ok, so Im going to be putting helical inserts in all of the valve cover bolt threads in the head. I came up with the threads being 15mm deep, with a 6X1.0mm thread.

Never put these in before so my question is can I use a regular tap in my set or do I need to get one they sell with the helicoil kits? I wasn't sure if there is anything special about the thread on the helicoils. Also should I go with the Tang, or Tangless ones?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: helicoiling head

You have to use the Helicoil tap as the hole is larger than the actual thread size, for obvious reasons. Tang or no tang, whatever you can get. I've never used the no tang ones but make sure you remove the tang after your done.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    You have to use the Helicoil tap as the hole is larger than the actual thread size, for obvious reasons. Tang or no tang, whatever you can get. I've never used the no tang ones but make sure you remove the tang after your done.
    Well yeah, I know the hole is bigger. I was asking if there was any difference between a regular tap and the helicoil tap? I have blind hole taps as well with blunt ends.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    Well yeah, I know the hole is bigger. I was asking if there was any difference between a regular tap and the helicoil tap? I have blind hole taps as well with blunt ends.
    Yes, I just told you, the Helicoil tap is bigger, its a special size for the helicoil.

As long as you can tap it enough for the insert, that's all you need.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I think he means for instance if he goes and buys the helicoils for a 6mm bolt, can he drill the hole and use his tap set tap for tapping for the helicoil. Yes you can.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    I think he means for instance if he goes and buys the helicoils for a 6mm bolt, can he drill the hole and use his tap set tap for tapping for the helicoil. Yes you can.
    YES. Thanks.

YES. Thanks.
    I have the whole kit I used on my last cylinder head. Someone suggested it may have gotten hot? I had to helicoil most of the intake/exhaust holes, a few vc bolt holes and a cam cap bolt hole.

turbo addict

I have the whole kit I used on my last cylinder head. Someone suggested it may have gotten hot? I had to helicoil most of the intake/exhaust holes, a few vc bolt holes and a cam cap bolt hole.
    Just the valve bolt holes are stripped on mine. Gonna mask off the head and do it on the car. Previous owner had some standard bolts in there and mucked up the threads...I was hoping they would stay tight but they have worked loose and its leaking oil now. Might as well do them all.

I did mine in car as well.

turbo addict

I did mine in car as well.
    You did the intake ones on the car?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Simon was right. The tap that comes with the kit is a special size tap for the Heli-Coils. Don't be cheap, buy the Heli-Coil kit. After you get the kit, then you can buy individual coils.

A.J.

You did the intake ones on the car?
    No. It was pulled for that.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Simon was right. The tap that comes with the kit is a special size tap for the Heli-Coils. Don't be cheap, buy the Heli-Coil kit. After you get the kit, then you can buy individual coils.

A.J.
    Depends on the tap set you have. The Heli-coils will say what size drill bit and tap to use. Lucky for me I had both and just needed to get the heli-coils.

Quote Originally Posted by bris09 View Post
    Depends on the tap set you have. The Heli-coils will say what size drill bit and tap to use. Lucky for me I had both and just needed to get the heli-coils.
    Yes and no. Heli-Coil will tell you which drill size to use but will not tell you which tap to use. They can't because it's their special size tap. Unless they are referring to the tap in the "kit." If they did that, why buy the kit? They'd be losing money.

What tap set are you referring to? Metric, SAE, or Heli-coil? Heli-coil does sell a master set but is outrageously expensive. I've bought the most popular metric sizes and a few odd-ball sizes. Like 11mm X 1.5.

A.J.

turbo addict

Ok, Im just gonna buy the kit. Eliminate any confusion and I need the install tool anyways.

turbo addict

yes for 99% of people just buy the kit. You can buy more coil's later. For the other 1% you just need an STI (Steel threaded Insert) sized tap. Any place that sells Machine tooling will carry them. If you don't have the right size drill you can get away with drilling 1/32 or so larger or smaller hole. For instance I didn't have a 21/64th's drill this weekend for doing the 8mx1.25 heli-coil hole. But a 5/16ths drill was large enough to allow me to tap the hole.

turbo addict

Ordered the kit. I forgot to order the 6.3mm drill bit damnit! haha Im sure there is something exact in my standard kit.

I didnt get a tang break off tool. For 60 bucks Ill wait and see if I can do without. Im sure a hammer and punch will work fine.

Ordered the kit. I forgot to order the 6.3mm drill bit damnit! haha Im sure there is something exact in my standard kit.

I didnt get a tang break off tool. For 60 bucks Ill wait and see if I can do without. Im sure a hammer and punch will work fine.
    A 1/4" drill bit should work in place of 6.3mm. If you tapping aluminum you can drill the hole smaller and still start the tap. In steel it's a lot harder and you might have to drill the next size bigger to get the tap to start.

I just use a hammer and punch to knock the tang off.

A.J.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    A 1/4" drill bit should work in place of 6.3mm. If you tapping aluminum you can drill the hole smaller and still start the tap. In steel it's a lot harder and you might have to drill the next size bigger to get the tap to start.

I just use a hammer and punch to knock the tang off.

A.J.
    Yup. "Helicoil" brand says to use 1/4.

I have a lots of experience with a tap and die just havnt used helicoils yet. We use alot of nutserts, threaded inserts and press in threads at work but I feel there wasnt enough meat in the head to take any of those. The helicoil takes up barely any room.

turbo addict

Masked off head. Drilled 3/16" then 7/32" then 1/4". Blind holes liked to pull the drill into them so I went in small steps.

Also cleaned valve cover and re-rtv'd the baffle in. I hope this will get rid of the oil in the I/C pipes problem and the oil leak problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	107_1543.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	394.2 KB 
ID:	21757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	107_1544.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	408.5 KB 
ID:	21758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	107_1545.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	400.4 KB 
ID:	21759  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast