Thread: engine rpm reluctant to build past 3,500rpm.

engine rpm reluctant to build past 3,500rpm.

Details:

1987 plymouth voyager caravan 2.2L carb with A413. Stock configuration except I replaced original carb (ruined by previous owner) for weber 32/36 DFEV (exact replacement and much tuning to get carb right).

Issue: accelerate from stop/slow roll is excellent to around 60-70 the speed ramp up drops off and engine rpm would not ramp high even I kept it in 2nd quickly enough (highest I get is 4,000 in 2nd (around 70KM/h) and 2,200 or so in 70KM/h. And speed is still building but power had flattened out too early or engine is fighting with transmission itself (evidenced by the poor RPM ramp up past that point). This is the reason I am not driving mine on freeway yet till I get that resolved first.

Free-revving in park and neutral is no issues but that's not correct way and merely only confirms exhaust is clear.

Ever anyone experienced the siezed stator in the torque converter? Tell me your stories.

If not that, chime in with other things that could happen that way.

Second, remember keep in mind weber 32/36 DFEV is a mechanical secondary and I'm aware of it's limitations regarding secondary throttle and low rpm engine. I have no experience with vehicle with a carb with mechanical secondary throttle on a 4 cylinder engine with automatic, hammering the throttle is what like for one who do have one?

Cheers, Wizard

turbo addict

Re: engine rpm reluctant to build past 3,500rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
    Issue: accelerate from stop/slow roll is excellent to around 60-70 the speed ramp up drops off and engine rpm would not ramp high even I kept it in 2nd quickly enough (highest I get is 4,000 in 2nd (around 70KM/h) and 2,200 or so in 70KM/h. And speed is still building but power had flattened out too early or engine is fighting with transmission itself (evidenced by the poor RPM ramp up past that point). This is the reason I am not driving mine on freeway yet till I get that resolved first.
    please revise this as its hard to understand

in 3rd gear its fine?

read the plugs to see if its rich or lean

Speedeuphoria, fixed bit of the text. Typed this last night and I was tired.

Details:

1987 plymouth voyager caravan 2.2L carb with A413. Stock configuration except I replaced original carb (ruined by previous owner) for weber 32/36 DFEV (exact replacement and much tuning to get carb right).

Issue: accelerate from stop/slow roll is excellent to around 60-70 the speed ramp up drops off and engine rpm would not ramp high even I kept it in 2nd quickly enough (highest I get is 4,000 in 2nd (around 70KM/h) and 2,200 rpm or so in 3rd at 70KM/h.

No matter what gear I'm in, speed is still building at much slower rate since power had flattened out too early.

Another possible issue I could think of is engine is fighting with transmission itself (evidenced by the poor RPM ramp up past that point). This is the reason I am not driving mine on freeway yet till I get that acceleration issue resolved.

Free-revving in park and neutral is no issues but that's not correct way and merely only confirms exhaust is clear.

I need this question answered as well:
    Ever anyone experienced the siezed stator in the torque converter? Tell me your stories.

If not that, chime in with other things that could happen that way.

I have no experience with carbureted vehicle that is working so well and I'm been wondering about that. I ask, when you hammer the throttle fully open from slow roll or standstill is what like for one who do have same set up as mine?

Cheers, Wizard

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

If it won't rev, my guess is the secondary's aren't supplying enough fuel or the jet is plugged or your fuel pump can't keep up and your emptying the float level too fast.

Was this carb jetted for your van? What did it come off?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Yes I can answer your questions:

Weber is not from any vehicle, I bought it used and very low miles, good condition and started tuning with box of jets and few extra jets as well. Primary is done, secondary is still uncertain as you will see on jet detail. PS. secondary passages is clear (already checked). Remember I have wideband O2 sensor and gauge.

primary/secondary
    idles 55/60
    main jets 130/145
    air correctors 165/160

Cheers, Wizard

turbo addict

Sounds like the fuel system cant keep/flow enough fuel .