Thread: weird 94? 2.2 non-common block?

Mitsu booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

weird 94? 2.2 non-common block?

I just picked up this used short block for my GLH, and I am preparing to install it. In determining that it was in fact a 2.2, I came across some oddities.
    The date code on the rear of the block reads '16.9.93' showing a casting date of '93, but it is on a raised cast. The coding on the top left of the block by cylinder #4 reads '4S2.2', which would mean a '94 VIN and a 2.2L engine. The first line of data is missing & where it says '2.2' you can see where under the second 2 is a faint 5, which would have read '2.5', but had a 2 stamped over it. The block has a fuel pump block off plate as well, which implies a non-common 84-88 block. Strange though, it has a 5 bolt crank pulley. It doesnt have balance shafts or the 6 extra holes, so it was probably always a 2.2. The skirts on the pistons are a lot shorter than my other two motors, but It does in fact have a 92mm stroke when I measured it. Also, the block IS cross drilled and has the oil/coolant return lines on the back. It seems like an earlier engine but with a 93 date code? It is also a distinctly different casting than my 86 and 88 blocks. You can see the difference in the casting next to my old engine in the pics below.
    Is this some kind of factory re-man made for a '94 or something? Anyone see a block like this before? Just trying to figure out what it is, I am confused

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: weird 94? 2.2 non-common block?

That is a weird one! If the casting date is accurate, then I don't know what...

The thing is, when you don't know the pedigree, you may never know... If you had pulled it from a car that hadn't had the engine changed, then we might be able to say something with a degree of accuracy, otherwise it might have just been a mass-rebuild victim, and who knows what parts it could have.

Of course there is the small problem of the casting date, if in-fact that is what we are looking at....

Anyone a casting numbers "expert"!??

Mike

PS I wouldn't be too surprised if it turns out to be legit, stranger things have happened!
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

That was probably a late cast service replacement engine. The S on the end stamping would indicate its a mexico cast block.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Defineatly weird. The block does look puny, crank almost looks forged. Short piston skirts are usually 2.5's. Looks like they used whatever they had kicking around to get it going.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    That was probably a late cast service replacement engine. The S on the end stamping would indicate its a mexico cast block.
    Mexico, maybe that explains it.... Thanks for all the input guys, its got me scratching my head...

turbo addict

I'm no engine code master but...

A. Those looked like 2.5 pistons to me

B. What years was the "tall deck" 2.5 made? Seems like I heard it was a 2.5 with fuel pump block off plate?

Again...I have no idea and am just throwing out guesses.

but its got a 92mm stroke and no balance shafts, and says 2.2 on the code. I thought the pistons looked like 2.5 too, but??? maybe someone put 2.5 pistons on a 2.2 crank...

Hybrid booster

Its a replacement engine. Should have the extra meat cast in the bottom end and updated parts like common blocks too. Swapped one in the Charger when it had serv contract.

Garrett booster

It is indeed a warranty replacement engine. Its the same one that I run in my car. It has a straight rear oil pan rail and the beefy casting in the bottom end just like a common block.......it basicly is a common block. 5 bolt pully, fuel pump plate ect... I have 2 of these blocks. 1 in the car and one for a backup block. These things are strong trust me. Mine lives @ over 500WHP.

Hybrid booster

Yep,basically a common block in non-common block clothing

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Defineatly weird. The block does look puny, crank almost looks forged. Short piston skirts are usually 2.5's. Looks like they used whatever they had kicking around to get it going.
    Now that you mention it, it kinda does, doesn't it! If we could get a good shot of the parting line, we could tell for sure...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

So, my guess is these "service blocks", with later dates that could be used in all year cars, to replace early or common blocks?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Nice find. I have a replacement block in my Super 60 Omni. It's a common block with a 1988 crank but no block off plate. If possible take a bunch more pictures.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

very interesting....the guy i got it from thought it was a TII and had forged crank/rods but he wasnt sure, and it was covered with oil & dirt..we pulled the oil pan, we werent even clear on if it was a 2.2 or 2.5, but for the price i just grabbed it. He never ran it, it came as a spare with a vnt daytona he bought or something , but mentioned the guy he got it form said it was the quietest 2.2 he ever heard. I will take some more pics, thanks