Thread: Oxygen sensor wires, two white ones, and a bypassed plug.

boostaholic

Oxygen sensor wires, two white ones, and a bypassed plug.

85 Dodge 600ES, TII converted.

The O2 sensor on this bad boy has had the plug bypassed, by the previous owner. I remember having to snip the wires when I pulled the head off. Lame.

Anyway, it's all going back together now, and these wires from the car are NOWHERE to be found. I swear they just got up and ran away or something.

So; this is a 3 wire sensor. two white wires, one black one. Black is ground, typical. White ones, which is which? I'm going to wire them directly to the Logic Module but how can I tell which wire does what or do I just take a guess and read datastream on the scan tool?
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

turbo addict

Re: Oxygen sensor wires, two white ones, and a bypassed plug.

bzzzt. your stock O2 for an 85 has a 1 wire sensor which is black. That is what the ECU reads. The sensor grounds out through the exhaust manny. In 87 they went to a 3wire sensor that had a black wire for the ECU, and the two white wires are for the heating element in the snesor to help it warm up quicker. They just go to a switched 12v source and ground. In 89 they added a dedicated ground as a gray wire and the other 3 remained the same.

boostaholic

Really? Hmm... The O2 that was in the car originally had a 3 wire sensor. The head I put on also had a 3 wire sensor that was inside the swingvalve so I kept it in there.

So what you're saying is that I don't even need to wire in the white wires?
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

Hybrid booster

The pre heater is not really needed. I'm using a 1 wire o2 on my daytona running 88 electronics and it shows no codes. Also spliced a 3 wire o2 into my friend's 90 spirit.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big_P View Post
    Really? Hmm... The O2 that was in the car originally had a 3 wire sensor. The head I put on also had a 3 wire sensor that was inside the swingvalve so I kept it in there.

So what you're saying is that I don't even need to wire in the white wires?
    Nope, just use the black wire. It would work better with the white wires hooked up to switched power and ground but your lazy so don't bother,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Good call, Simon got it all wired up.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by jory View Post
    The pre heater is not really needed. I'm using a 1 wire o2 on my daytona running 88 electronics and it shows no codes. Also spliced a 3 wire o2 into my friend's 90 spirit.
    cough *hack* cough