Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: ForcedFedMopar's 85 GLH-T

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: ForcedFedMopar's 85 GLH-T

That looks and sounds great. Very nice work.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfedmopar View Post
    im running +40s right now. Looking like i will need to increase soon. I just dont want to do my own tuning. I enjoy just hopping in and driving. Is there anyone that does cals for set ups like mine with big injectors? Im really happy with the S5 from FWD. I wish they had an option for more!
    Rob at Boostbutton did my cal for me and many other on these sites.
    http://www.boostbutton.com/catalog/index.php
    Last edited by speedfreek500; 05-20-2012 at 01:05 AM. Reason: link

turbo addict
    Sounds awesome!! Great work!!! Can't wait to see what it does at the track!!!

turbo addict

Ill have to get with Rob and see if he can do something for me if i go larger. My first concern is getting boost undercontrol. I cracked open the wastegate (lengthened the rod) and all it did was increase lag. I stayed in it a bit longer and all it did was hit 32-33psi. (gauge stops at 30). Does anyone know where i can get another actuator that is small and adjustable. Clearly the stock actuator is too tight. OR maybe i need to port the wastegate hole? suggestions welcome.

If lengthing the rod made the turbo laggier, then you need to port the wastegate hole larger. Barring that you may have to switch to an external wastegate.

turbo addict

Does the actuator move when you put pressure on the port? It may be sticking or have a hole in the diaphragm. You can gently use a blowgun and watch to see if it's stuck and also make sure it holds vacuum to test the diaphragm.
    Does the puck move freely with the rod disconnected?
    Does the puck move freely when everything is really hot?
    Have you tried unhooking the rod to see if it will still overboost with the puck flapping in the breeze?
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

starts coming on around 3-32 and full before 4 i think. Ive been paying more attention the the road/air fuel gauge than the tack. There is more lag than the s60 i had on it but it is SO worth it! If i get boost turned down a bit i would love to be able to stay in it for a long pull!

You MUST port the wastegate hole otherwise you can't get the boost down, see "turboshad's" log for pics before and after.

im running +40s right now. Looking like i will need to increase soon. I just dont want to do my own tuning. I enjoy just hopping in and driving. Is there anyone that does cals for set ups like mine with big injectors? Im really happy with the S5 from FWD. I wish they had an option for more!
    If FWD can't adjust it enough, talk to Shelgame or do your own after he makes a baseline cal.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

i think an external is the best choice if you can somehow get it mounted on the collector or something. MY cheep junk turbo overboosts no matter what even if i have the internal gate held wide open.

what engine did this turbo origonaly come on? my bet would be something COMPLETLY different than an 8valve dodge engine.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance 6g72 View Post
    i think an external is the best choice if you can somehow get it mounted on the collector or something. MY cheep junk turbo overboosts no matter what even if i have the internal gate held wide open.

what engine did this turbo origonaly come on? my bet would be something COMPLETLY different than an 8valve dodge engine.
    His turbo is an HE341/351 from a Dodge diesel pu, hence why the wastegate must be ported.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

sounds like i should just go ahead and port the wastegate hole. I havent done any real diagnosis on the issue. I just tried lengthening the arm because it was the easiest. If weather permits i will take the car to work, pull the turbo, port it and put it back together tomorrow or tuesday. The car is an absolute animal with this turbo, id just like to go wot for more than 2 secs.

Side note. I did brake boost to about 18lbs on the interstate in 4th gear. Let off the brake and smoked the tires for about 400 ft.....that was neat.

turbo addict
    Side note. I did brake boost to about 18lbs on the interstate in 4th gear. Let off the brake and smoked the tires for about 400 ft.....that was neat.
    I wish there was a like button on a post.

turbo addict

im going to pull the turbo tomorrow and port the wastegate hole.

turbo addict

sounds like i should just go ahead and port the wastegate hole. I havent done any real diagnosis on the issue. I just tried lengthening the arm because it was the easiest. If weather permits i will take the car to work, pull the turbo, port it and put it back together tomorrow or tuesday. The car is an absolute animal with this turbo, id just like to go wot for more than 2 secs.

Where is the james likes this button!!!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

The HE351 comes with an adj W/G can. Did you use that can? Did you drill out the "freeze" dimple and back it off to it's lowest tension?

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    The HE351 comes with an adj W/G can. Did you use that can? Did you drill out the "freeze" dimple and back it off to it's lowest tension?
    Hey shadow you didnt open the wastegate hole on your turbo did you? I thought i seen a post where it said you did not and can control boost at 17psi.

turbo addict

i used the he341 can that came with the turbo. The rod is adjustable but not the can/spring. I would love to beable to do that tho! The hole is about half the size of the puck so i plan on porting it reguardless of getting an adjustable can. Ill def be looking into an adjustable can tho!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreek500 View Post
    Hey shadow you didnt open the wastegate hole on your turbo did you? I thought i seen a post where it said you did not and can control boost at 17psi.
    Never touched it. All I did was drill out the freeze dimple in the adj W/G can that came with the HE351 and I set it to it's lowest tension. Basically backed it off until the puck could spin, then tightened it up Just enough so I couldn't spin the puc with my two fingers.

I can hold 18ish psi stable through full 3" street exhaust, but when I open my 4" dump it will boost creep to 25+psi. Although it holds 29+psi rock solid through the 4" dump!

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

i used the he341 can that came with the turbo. The rod is adjustable but not the can/spring. I would love to beable to do that tho! The hole is about half the size of the puck so i plan on porting it reguardless of getting an adjustable can. Ill def be looking into an adjustable can tho!
    I keep forgetting your HE341. Explains a lot! The W/G hole on the HE341 is Smaller than the HE351 right from the gitgo! Port that sucker for sure! I should check tomorrow if the HE351 can will swap onto the HE341, got both turbos sitting in the shop right now.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Great info shadow, i did drill out the dimple in my wg so i could adjust the tension if i couldn't get the boost under control.

I'am gonna copy the header that the op made in the winter, my header didnt work out so good with the spacer flange.

turbo addict

i feel special! i plan on making a few more too!

turbo addict

Pulled the turbo off tonight. looks like ill beable to port the hole about 1/4-3/8 in larger than what it is now!