Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Finally Took The Plunge 1400SqFt of Space!

turbo addict

Re: Finally Took The Plunge 1400SqFt of Space!

That's a lot of HP ! Is the GTP yours / Steve's or someone elses?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Yep, Forza's. My bro was fixing the windows which were not very cooperative

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Mitsu booster

I'm around here every now and then.....

Its an '85 GLH-T that was purchased after Forza told me to buy it. After a few late nights of wrenching, and some serious help from Boyd, Alan, Brandon, etc it was ready to go for the La Carrera Classic down in good 'ol Mexico. Some might remember it as the B-team car in the Sport Compact Car article. About 12 miles into the 50 mile race, I realized that we suffered from a not big enough cooling system. One of the best weekends of my life! Motor blown, we brought it back and put in a new 2.2 ish with some "upgrades". The full setup from Johnny, Dyno-tuned, roll cage, MOMO ----pit, DOT racers, Super 60 setup this thing hauls. Been to two Team Shelby birthday parties before I burned that bridge for us TDr's. A few Porsche club track days where I was approached and told my GTI handled its own. These truly are really fun cars, honestly I just haven't had a lot of time to drive it with work, and needing to find a "reputable" smog shop so that I could register it I'm hoping to pick it up tomorrow, as I'll be on vacation for a bit, and Alan's been buggin to get it out of his shop. Is it for sale? everything is for sale lol

And just like Alan's garage, I just hijacked this thread
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	179198_10150098218308758_4579854_n.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	52593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	167256_10150098218483758_1401257_n.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	52594  

turbo addict

I'm intrigued to know why you ruined for us Tders?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    this, and sweet car!

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    Amy Bolyn the then president of Shelby Auto American yells out to the Team Shelby Crowd. "alright, who's driving the little red car??!!"

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by CoolV300C View Post
    this, and sweet car!
    Thanks! Appreciated!

Here's the cliff's notes version......
    Shelby birthday bash a few years ago. Basically, we met at the old Shelby American plant, and then caravan'd to Vegas. Apparently we were supposed to be in groups and not pass a designated pace car, at 80 mph. Well, if anyone has ever made that drive from L.A. to Vegas, you know how I-15 can be, at 80 mph, you're gonna get run over. After about the 10th time of nearly rear ending a 100k shelby mustang with the ridiculous accordion action going on (There were about 130 cars), I moved out of the caravan line and just cruised at 80-85. I approached what was later determined to be the pace vehicle (designated as such with overhead amber flashing lights), and looked over, and with a questionable look as if "Is it ok to pass?" The pace driver did not acknowledge either way, and I continued on at 85 mph. About 30 mph down the road, CHP pulled every one of us over......Now here's where my story and Amy BoyMans story differ. She was told that CHP stopped us because we were all racing, including the red #60 Dodge (Me). I asked the CHP Officer that pulled us over, and he told me it was because there was a guy with overhead flashing amber lights (The pace driver). Nevertheless, I was singled out as the cause of 130 Shelby cars being stopped that day, pulled in front of the group and chastised by a 5'2 190lb sheman, named Amy. Team Shelby membership was cancelled at that point, and will not ever be renewed. Unfortunately, I was lumped in with the rest of the Dodge boys on that trip, all 3 or 4 of us, and we were pretty much black listed at that point. I'm sure Alan will have more to add to that story.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

That sure is a good story!!

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

turbo addict

The red cars in the shop look great, Alan. Nice to see the one car that's supposed to be black hasn't turned red yet, even with the peer pressure.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

After spending the last two weeks fixing the driveline carnage I created from racing during Mopars at the Strip, the Rampage RT is back up and running better (and lighter) than ever. After fixing the output stub shaft on the trans that the broken U joint/axle took out, I finally converted to un-equal length axles (can't figure out why I didn't do this years ago??) and manual steering. I ended up dropping the K frame out twice and having to make a splined shaft that turns the rack from parts from the exiting PS rack and the incoming manual rack. All in all I was under, over, or around the RRT for about 25 hours. Over the last few weeks It rained twice, and got hot enough inland (where my house is) that I turned on the AC in the house. Meanwhile since the shop is in Costa Mesa a short walk from the beach it stays much cooler there when it's hot in the rest of the OC. I stayed cool and dry and the fridge kept the beers cold. I guess theme of this post is not so much the work done to the RRT but the shopspace that made it possible
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160413_153652.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	57896   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160405_181031.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1,021.9 KB 
ID:	57897   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160405_191441.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	57898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160315_140112.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	996.6 KB 
ID:	57899  

I've been driving my GLHS with manual steering for a few months and really don't mind it. Seems the car is light enough that only when in a stationary position is it tough to turn, but not bad. What rack did you use, manual Omni? And why did you have to extend it? Is that a limitation with a PS column vs. manual column? I'm looking into how I can fit the electric PS motor from a Saturn Ion as I've seen done on some other cars, but not on ours.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I've been driving my GLHS with manual steering for a few months and really don't mind it. Seems the car is light enough that only when in a stationary position is it tough to turn, but not bad. What rack did you use, manual Omni? And why did you have to extend it? Is that a limitation with a PS column vs. manual column? I'm looking into how I can fit the electric PS motor from a Saturn Ion as I've seen done on some other cars, but not on ours.
    Jon,

Not sure if your a member over on TD, but a guy did a write-up on putting the Ion electric steering in a Shadow Lemons car. http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11...andonment.html You will have to sort through the thread, I think it's on about page 5...

Maybe that will give you some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Yes Omni manual steering, I think the part number actually spec'd out 82-84 for whatever reason. I didn't really extend it, I had to use the splined yoke that was on the RRT because it was much larger than the manual rack splined shaft. Did you find a yoke from the MS donor car? Also, the RRT has tilt steering, the whole column is from a spirit RT so maybe that was part of the mismatch. But when I converted the red GLHS (like 15 years ago so parts were plentiful)I had to change Yokes to the MS one.

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Jon,

Not sure if your a member over on TD, but a guy did a write-up on putting the Ion electric steering in a Shadow Lemons car. http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11...andonment.html You will have to sort through the thread, I think it's on about page 5...

Maybe that will give you some ideas?
    It helps. I have my blue car still and can work on that as a test to make it work. I think getting it tucked under the dash is the harder part. One guy did it and used a potentiometer to manage the firmness, but I guess tying it into the speedo sensor is a way to try it. I don't know if I want to mess with that or just make it adjustable manually. I REALLY would like to get away from the PS pump though. Leaks and the custom header and the fact that an electric power assist option is out there makes me want to get it to work.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567