Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: 1989 CSX #68 rebuild

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor
    Ugh, thank god. I am pretty confident it is just piston slap I was hearing. It doesn't make it once the engine is warm. Should have known better. Just took her for a spirited drive and it was fun!

Running a little lean in first and second. 13.5 or so. But by 4th it richens up to 10.5 or so and backfires a little bit on decal. Now it's time to learn how to tune...

Another strange thing is my boost spikes to 17 or 18 and settles at 16. It's a 20psi cal from Rob. It is set to 20 in MPTuner. My wastegate rod has plenty of tension. Even tightened it to be sure. Autometer boost gauge.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: 1989 CSX #68 rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowjake View Post
    Ugh, thank god. I am pretty confident it is just piston slap I was hearing. It doesn't make it once the engine is warm. Should have known better. Just took her for a spirited drive and it was fun!

Running a little lean in first and second. 13.5 or so. But by 4th it richens up to 10.5 or so and backfires a little bit on decal. Now it's time to learn how to tune...
    That sounds right, forged pistons make noise when cold due to having larger bore clearances than cast pistons so as long as it gets quieter warm then its piston clearance related. Bearings are the other way, ok cold but noisey when warm as the oil thins out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowjake View Post
    Another strange thing is my boost spikes to 17 or 18 and settles at 16. It's a 20psi cal from Rob. It is set to 20 in MPTuner. My wastegate rod has plenty of tension. Even tightened it to be sure. Autometer boost gauge.
    Not sure, that's why I prefer an EBC or MBC, rock solid boost. Are the orifices there? Maybe you have it too tight?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Wouldn't too tight cause over boost? Yes the 1 yellow orifice is there by the wastegate. The second one goes to the gauge right. I don't have that one. Boost gauge is hooked to the driver side nipple on the throttle body.

Oh and thanks again for the help Simon.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 1989 CSX #68 rebuild

Whew. Glad it was just the piston slap as the motor warms up. What a relief.

Re: 1989 CSX #68 rebuild (Crap ton of pics inside!)

Yeah. Nope. Got the same noise but worse now coming from the driver side of the block. Pulled the oil pan tonight to check the bearings and they all look beautiful. Except for the one I can't check without pulling the tranny. And it's making some pretty unmistakable noise. I drug my feet on checking it out so I deserve it, but no drag or much driving period at SDAC for this guy... Today was fun though. Only got about 16 pounds before the CEL came on (because of the shitty bearing). But she moves along really well....

Now it sounds like the head again. You guys are going to have to listen to it this week. I hate being that guy but I can't figure it out. Throws the CEL on knock at about 15 psi too. Not sure if it is really knock or the vibration.

Jake

Glad to have finally met ya... Keep up the good work

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819