Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2.2/2.5 Neon swap.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: 2.2/2.5 Neon swap.

When i had to pick between keeping my modded sohc 4 dr neon sport sedan and keeping and t2/5spd swapping my spirit, i decided to ditch the neon and do a bunch of upgrades to the spirit..

The spirit as a lightly modded t2/5spd car at 11 psi is not ANY faster than the lightly modded sohc neon. It also handles worse and gets worse mileage. It does seem to be more comfortable and safer, though.

Anyway, i just think its a silly swap. Ive got silly swap ideas of my own so im not saying its the stupidest thing ive ever heard.. but i agree the only time it really even makes sense is if you already have a nicely modified 2.2/2.5 that needs a body and arent going to be spending money to build one.. because if you have to spend money youd be better off just spending it on the neon motor.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Mitsu booster

I just got interested in this idea too, contrary to popular belief, the 2.2 is smaller than the 2.0. and i think with the info that out there now and the many more resources that we have now, i think it could be done fairly easy. they did it in the late 90's if im not mistaken

Mitsu booster

one more thing, it is way easier to tune a 2.2, with the 2.0 you either need Mega Squirt or a bunch of piggy back stuff, plus the 2.2 has a far stronger bottom end. and hey... why not just put a neon head 2.2 hybrid in it

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Runner View Post
    one more thing, it is way easier to tune a 2.2, with the 2.0 you either need Mega Squirt or a bunch of piggy back stuff, plus the 2.2 has a far stronger bottom end. and hey... why not just put a neon head 2.2 hybrid in it
    The 2.2 has better rods and turbo pistons but that is about the only thing that is stronger about it than the 2.0. I think the 2.0 block is probably stronger in stock form because it uses a bedplate for the crank instead of main caps.

I am not sure your statement about the 2.2 being easier to tune is true either. Putting a 2.2 hybrid with a 2.0 head won't make it any easier to tune than the 2.0.

What electronics would you want to run and what induction would you run?

If you run a turbo then you have either SRT4 or 2.2/2.5 electronics as the only real stock electronics that can deal with it. If you run 2.0 electronics then you still have some piggyback solution required.

The 2.0l can produce good power it just has to rev higher than the 2.0l and needs stronger rods and pistons. The SRT4 engine is the easier swap because it solves those issues and bolt in motor mounts are available.

-Rich

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Runner View Post
    I just got interested in this idea too, contrary to popular belief, the 2.2 is smaller than the 2.0. and i think with the info that out there now and the many more resources that we have now, i think it could be done fairly easy. they did it in the late 90's if im not mistaken
    It was done in the late 90s but they put a lot of work into it. They also used a Lotus engine. An 8V 2.2/2.5 turbo is a lot of work for what is possibly a downgrade. It is definitely a downgrade compared to a built 2.0/2.4.

The 2.2 would be different but unless you want it for the novelty (understandable) it isn't really worth it in a pure performance or monetary analysis.

-Rich

Mitsu booster

i plan on using the stock computer setup from a 2.2 that will be socketed and setup with an ostrich. as far as the bedplate being stronger, my dad's omni (mock_glh) is upwards of 375hp and he has never seen a rod or crank break, and never had a main cap failure, so im not worried about that, and i dont really plan on making any more than 350hp because then the car becomes less street friendly. I have the king of cheap speed on my side, so i would dare to say that we could probably do a 300hp swap in with a 2.5 for under $1000

Mitsu booster

Hey dude, i totally hijacked your thread, if you want ill start up a new one

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    The 2.2 would be different but unless you want it for the novelty (understandable) it isn't really worth it in a pure performance or monetary analysis.

-Rich
    if you read closely, he also made a lot of mods and added a lot of unnecessary things that undoubtedly added time to the build. he put all that turbo IV stuff on there that was not necessary.

As far as the monetary aspect of the build, just talked to the King and he said we could probably do it for a couple hundred dollars, unless i want a quaife or forged pistons, all items that cost the same no matter what you get them for.

who here wouldnt want a reliable 300hp car with the awesome suspension of a Neon ACR.

would be a beautiful DD and a lot more serviceable, especially with the vast amount of spare parts we have.

i dont think you realize we are trying to move away from the neon's computer system. components to tune that are vastly more expensive that what it takes to tune a 2.2 especially since we already have an ostrich and a zaitronics wide band. all i would need to do is buy a harness plug $20-$30 and we are set to fully tune the motor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12