Thread: Is your car stumbling under boost?

Hybrid booster

Is your car stumbling under boost?

Some of you might have gone through this problem, the car idles fine, drives smooth, not a problem until you try to get into boost. Afterwords when you get back home you check to see if the car will throw any codes and you find nothing out of the usual. What's wrong?! Why does it stumble?!

I may have the solution to why this might be happening.

For the entire time I've had my Shelby Charger, I have never been able to fully step into full boost. Every time I tried to give it full throttle it would buck and kick and never have the full potential I had hoped it would have. It would never throw any codes and I even changed out fuel injectors, throttle body, and even the turbo when the old one blew out thinking that the turbo might be shot.

Even my best run at the track was an embarrassingly slow 17.5 seconds. I lost to a Honda SOHC vtec! I hate that there’s one Honda running around saying he beat a Shelby.

Anyways, reading through a post on here, I forget where, it was mentioned that maybe the coil was arcing to the body or another source when the car saw boost, therefore taking your full spark away and making your car buck and kick during boost. So, I went outside to take a gander at my coil. Sure enough, it was just laying there on its side. So, my cheap and out of the box solution came to a cambells soup can and a mud flap from an 18 wheeler. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the soup can as well as drilled a hole in the area where the coil sits. I then cut out a strip of rubber from the mud flap to where it would fully wrap and insulate the coil as well as two little strips to cover the bottom of the can. Bolted it all down and slipped the coil inside its new home. Took it around for a drive and I now magically have full power! I can hold the throttle to the floor and even get a lovely scratch into second! I've moved the boost up to the stock 7psi and it's never felt stronger

Pics!

What the coil basically looked like in the Charger(GLH engine bay)

Cambells soup can bolted down in the upright position

The strip of rubber from the mud flap that wraps around the coil

Looking down into the can. Two little rubber strips shown that the coil sits on.

Rubber strip placed in the can.

Slipped the coil inside its new home.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: Is your car stumbling under boost?

So you just had the coil banging around? lol.

I wouldn't do what you've done, coil's produce heat and your basically insulating it with that mud flap. Just get an OE bracket or wrap a strip of metal around it and bolt it to the frame like Dodge did, like so-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02252.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	423.8 KB 
ID:	24699  
    Last edited by turbovanman²; 08-12-2010 at 07:43 PM.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

+1, bolt it down with the proper bracket.

turbo addict

A+ for thinking out of the box ... they do get hot though. Hole saw a bunch of holes in the can and mudflap ring top and bottom.

Couple months from now some vendor will be offering this in SS "The vibration friendly Coil Holder" ... A+

Hybrid booster

I haven't driven around with it like this for long, but I will figure something out to cool it down a bit. I would put it with the right bracket but the car never came with it.