Thread: Playing Legos with my cars, need advice....

Hybrid booster

Playing Legos with my cars, need advice....

Since our cars are very interchangeable i wanted to get some advice on things I am not quite 100% sure about. Also I know I usually am the first one to chime in against car parting and this may go against my ways, I am just looking for input.

I've got an 1988 Shelby Z, it's body is in ruff shape, it's not rusty, but it has been hit and repaired at some point in it's life before I got it, and it probably has in excess of 250 k on it, and just feels loose and tired. Was planning on totally repainting it and all...but have another idea. Plus I already have two much nicer Daytona's.

I put down a deposit on a 1989 Lancer Shelby with no drive train, it's coming my way mid April. I have a spare motor but am unsure of its condition, and a spare trans but am unsure about it also.

I could pull the motor and trans (both freshly rebuilt in the last 10K) from the Daytona and drop them in the Lancer. Same with the intercooler, radiator, and perf computer. Also what about swapping over the rear disc from the daytona to the lancer.

The other big question I have it this. The daytona enthusiast seats were recovered and have never even been installed back into the daytona. How hard would it be to put the Daytona seat into the lancer? I ask because on the daytona the seat switches are in the console, but in the lancer they are on the side of the seat. Is it possible to do this swap and has anyone done it? If so that would be really cool!

Basically I have all the parts on hand, can put them into the rarer car. What do you all think?

Hybrid booster

Re: Playing Legos with my cars, need advice....

Do it! Sounds like a good plan. Take two cars and build one very nice one!

Garrett booster

While this topic is fresh, I'm going to add in one more re. seats.

>> Has anyone done (or know about) using seats from a Lancer/GTS in a 600/Lebaron convertible? (84-86 style) Also, what about seats from an 88-90 LeBaron in the same K-car convertibles. <<

I'm all for making the right car from whatever you have as long as you're not destroying a perfect condition one just for a whim.

I'd say swap the drivetrains over for sure since the Lancer Shelby's are a lot rarer than Shelby Z Daytonas.

As far as the seats go, I don't think it'd be hard at all to install them into the Lancer. All you'd really have to do is remove the Daytona seat tracks from them and swap on Lancer ones. The holes should be pretty close to insert the bolts, but if they're not, then drill the seat bottom out so the tracks can attach. WIth the wiring situation, get a wiring diagram and in the worst case maybe rewire them.

Sounds good, let's see some pics!

shelby Z's are parted on a monthly basis...
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Hybrid booster

I know, I actually do feel bad about doing it. But I have two other 88 Z's in far better shape, with far less miles, and that have never had their bodies cut apart and welded back together again. Only reason I am thinking of this is that the car must have been t-boned in the drivers side at some point, and the body was repaired with a side from a 90+ daytona. There is still residual damage in the floor pan. Plus there is just so much stuff in the car that needs to be replaced or repaired....