Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LM initial COP test

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: LM initial COP test

Not sure how I missed this but friggin cool,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

That is some serious trickery! Keep us posted!

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Keith, what do you think about making a new PM for the SMEC that has 2 coil drivers? We can use the 'extra' injector output (normally only used on the V6 caps) to drive a 2nd coil and then we could have DIS with a SMEC.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Keith, what do you think about making a new PM for the SMEC that has 2 coil drivers? We can use the 'extra' injector output (normally only used on the V6 caps) to drive a 2nd coil and then we could have DIS with a SMEC.
    It would probably be a different model than my current plan of bank select on one wire and firing with the regular coil - signal but it does remove the need for external hardware which is nice. Just out of curiosity would a standard v6 pm be usable for this if the outputs are setup correctly? I'm still not clear on where the pwm is done for the injectors as I haven't looked at the timer and output compare settings closely in t-smec.

I just started to look at the t-smec hep interrupt code a couple of weeks ago, but if I understand the cam position bits correctly it should be relatively easy to get the small code changes in for my current concept for Simon to test. I think the hardest thing is going to be holding off the firing of the coils till things are sync'd and finding a way to keep that hold off period as short as possible. Though I have to wait till finals are over to even have enough time to write it in a naive state ignoring sync.

I was thinking that I could copy over the coil firing code form the T3, since it also uses waste spark DIS. The V6 logic board has a pair of wires tying the 'extra' injector circuit to the power board. But, those 2 lines also have pins on the 60-way. So, I think it should be possible to build a new power board with 2 coil drivers (and more modern coil drivers at that - the power board uses the same ignition circuit as the old Mopar Chrome Box ignition). I don't think you could use the existing injector driver to drive an ignition coil, though. Different voltage/current requirements.

You would still need some way to driver the HEP, though. I was thinking a small housing to mount on the end of the cam would work nicely. Then put a plug in the distributor hole in the block.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I was thinking that I could copy over the coil firing code form the T3, since it also uses waste spark DIS. The V6 logic board has a pair of wires tying the 'extra' injector circuit to the power board. But, those 2 lines also have pins on the 60-way. So, I think it should be possible to build a new power board with 2 coil drivers (and more modern coil drivers at that - the power board uses the same ignition circuit as the old Mopar Chrome Box ignition). I don't think you could use the existing injector driver to drive an ignition coil, though. Different voltage/current requirements.

You would still need some way to driver the HEP, though. I was thinking a small housing to mount on the end of the cam would work nicely. Then put a plug in the distributor hole in the block.
    That would work nicely for me,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I bet I could run a 2nd coil simply off a chrome box, actually. Drive the chrome box from the SMEC Logic Board with the 2 extra pins normally used for the 3rd injector driver. At least as a test.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I see. The IGBT's I've been using are driven by a 5v logic input and they're specifically made to fire coils, so I'm thinking that they'll be up to the task. If the additional injector driver is just a to-220 package fet or something, maybe we can check the pinout and see if it can be replaced. I'd love to build a new power board that can handle the needs of the charging/injectors/coils better than the old ones we have can, but I'm just worried about the resources needed to build one, both time and money wise.

I figured just leaving distributor base was enough, though if someone wants to modify the HEP wheel and index it properly for the cam, by all means. Though, we may still need to leave some adjustment for timing etc.

I bet I could run a 2nd coil simply off a chrome box, actually. Drive the chrome box from the SMEC Logic Board with the 2 extra pins normally used for the 3rd injector driver. At least as a test.
    Just so I'm clear, the chrome box is something like a MSD right? It just fires the coil when the ECU says so? It doesn't know how to read a HEP, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by risen View Post
    Just so I'm clear, the chrome box is something like a MSD right? It just fires the coil when the ECU says so? It doesn't know how to read a HEP, correct?
    Tye Mopar chrome box is basically just an amplifier. it has no dwell control or timing control at all. It does have some signal conditioning circuitry, though. The old Mopar V8 and /6 ignitions are VR input. So, it may not work with a 5v square wave from the logic board.

It's not quite like an MSD which is technically a CDI. But they do essentially the same thing - fire the spark plug (only).
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12