Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matchbox needs a carb!!!

turbo addict

Matchbox needs a carb!!!

I need a carb asap. The only mandatory thing is that it has a mechanical secondary....prefer non-feedback. I missed test and tune at Indy today since the car would flood itself out and was undriveable. I reset the floats, lowered the fuel pressure....pulled it apart and put it back together.....all the things that I had tried back in 1990 when I got this carb for it. There also has not been a charcoal canister on it since the 1980s. I would greatly appreciate help getting one Monday or early Tuesday.....theres a TNT Tuesday at Indy. Our 1st pts race is April 3rd. My only other option is to get a Weber downdraft from Red Line. Whatever I do it needs to be done NOW! It would be great if you were within driving distance. Give me a call at 765-455-1410. I will be traveling Monday so give me a call on my cell phone 10am-10pm at 765-860-4328. No calls tonight please....kids asleep, but you can e-mail me at ataylorracing@comcast.net

35 time NHRA/IHRA Drag Race Champ
    05 SRT4 / S2 / 12.87 @ 110 / DOTs
    05 Mustang V6 / wifes / 15.17 @ 92 BONE stock
    96 Geo Metro / 3 cyl - 1 ltr - 55 hp / 19.84 @ 66
    84 Horizon / used to run 13's no power adders

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Re: Matchbox needs a carb!!!

Angelo, was the needle and seat bad? That would cause it to flood if they were bad.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

I have no idea....not a mechanic....would not know what to look for.

Hybrid booster

If the needle/seat combo is worn that would cause the fuel bowl to flood itself and then overload the jets. Do any of your local auto part stores have a rebuild kit in stock? They're simple to do, come with detailed instructions, new seals, needle/seat, etc etc. Maybe that's worth a try?

It's a shame I sold all my carb components a few months back; I had exactly that, a mechanical secondary, non-feedback carb. I'll take a look at the wrecking yards, but I don't believe I saw any carbs there last time.

Hope things workout for you!

Cheers, TheCanadian

turbo addict

Refering to the link below:
    Today I took the carb apart and replaced the needle/seat assembly (items 31) with a new one from a Walker carb rebuild kit that I bought two years ago since the pump charge diaphram (item 21) had a massive leak. I noticed that where it screws into the carb top was loose, but that didn't fix it. I also replaced the air metering thingy???? (item 34 for the 5220) since it had a small leak on its diaphram too with VERY little improvement. I next lowered the fuel pressure from, over 6 to 3 and at least the car ran, but at idle it was still stumbling all over itself, but was much better when under way. If I nailed it the car would shortly suck the carb dry and start to quit...as soon as I'd lift it would seem okay again. For many years I ran it at 4 1/2 psi of fuel pressure, but starting last year it would not provide enough fuel to make it to the finish...for some reason I had to raise the fuel pressure to 5 1/2 and late in the year that was not enough sio I had to raise t to over 6 psi to make it to the finish line!!! Last year I also replaced the old Holley Red electric with a new on since the old one was leaking gas badly after 25 years of use. I have a fuel pressure guage mounted where I can see it and there is always pressure there with no drops. The floats are good and are not full of any gas at all.

http://www.carburetorfactory.com/expvw17.html

Raise it back to 5 psi and see how it does.
    Bryan

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I thought the Holley 5220 had a vacuum secondary.

The Weber 32/36 DFEV I put on my Turismo 2.2 has a mechanical secondary.

I have heard the charcoal canisters can break down and pollute the carb over the years. I removed the charcoal canister completely on my car.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

Hybrid booster

makes me wonder if we can just remove all the vac lines on carb and toss the can???????

deuce

Quote Originally Posted by deuce dodge View Post
    makes me wonder if we can just remove all the vac lines on carb and toss the can???????

deuce
    That's what I did with the Weber carb. On the Holley I think you'll still need some vac lines for the choke and the secondary.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    Raise it back to 5 psi and see how it does.
    If I raise the fuel pressure the flooding out gets worse. For many years I was running 4 1/2 perfectly, then last year it would suck the carb dry until I raised it to over 6. My fix is comming via new 32/36 Weber carb.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    I thought the Holley 5220 had a vacuum secondary.

The Weber 32/36 DFEV I put on my Turismo 2.2 has a mechanical secondary.

I have heard the charcoal canisters can break down and pollute the carb over the years. I removed the charcoal canister completely on my car.
    Not all of them had the vacuum secondary...a few in the Caravan and Rampage had mechanical secondary and non-feedback carbs and flowed more cfm. I have a 32/36 comming overnight from Redline. The charcoal cannister was removed way back in 1984!

Did you need to do any adjustment on your Weber, or just slap it on and go???

Cool. The weber will run nicely on that. Less headache too!!
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post
    Not all of them had the vacuum secondary...a few in the Caravan and Rampage had mechanical secondary and non-feedback carbs and flowed more cfm. I have a 32/36 comming overnight from Redline. The charcoal cannister was removed way back in 1984!

Did you need to do any adjustment on your Weber, or just slap it on and go???
    I had to set the base idle screw, a/f mix screw, high idle screw, and adjust the choke too. I didn't have to get into anything else, the way it is jetted seems to be appropriate, if not a little rich (according to my a/f gauge).

Also, you have to take the throttle arm off a Holley and adapt it to the Weber. You'll have to file the opening just slightly bigger on the Holley arm. Be patient and test fit frequently, you want the arm to fit snug.

turbo addict

what about the float?

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    what about the float?
    He had already reset the level. Although, it could have a hole in it causing it to drop an stay open all the time, causing the flooding condition.
    Bryan

turbo addict

Float had no fuel in them....I had a bad one in1980s though.

turbo addict

No longer needed.....I spent some $$$ and got a Weber 32/36 downdraft with no electronics of anykind and a mechanical secondary. The thing had almost the same size air bleeds as my carb but the fuel jets were TINY! A big concern I had was fuel pressure. They say 3 psi most while for many years I ran near 4 then last year had to bump it up to 6+ to keep from sucking the bowl dry and not making it to the finish line. I lowered the fuel pressure to 2.5 psi and left the little 137 primary/140 secondary jets in there. At idle and while driving it just was a bit rough...a bit to gurgly like a coffee perculator and my EGT guage confirmed that anything past 65 mph and the thing was going to have some melted pistons! I got it to the track and immediately changed the jets to a 335P/347S and ran 3 passes...the car made it down the track but the EGTS were higher than what I like at the end of the 1/4 and it was a crappy .08 difference rom the slowest to the fastest pass. I have found that EGTS of 1390-1400 degrees is the sweet spot to run consistent 1/4 mile times. I was shocked that it made it all the way down the track with only 2.5 psi of fuel pressure. So now I took the HUMONGOUS 417P/455S jets from the old carb and stuck them in there. Another 3 passes were made with the EGTS a TINY bit rich, all in the 1380s-1390s and the ETS were better at .04 difference pass to pass. Saturday is our first pts race and I will change out the secondary jet to a 423 and recheck the EGTS. I will not change the primary because when I power brake it to 2400 when I get ready to stage the EGTS stay right at the 1075 mark and stay there no matter how long I am on the converter...I even held it there for 2 minutes with no EGT change!!

Nice. Even with the jetting issues, is it easier to drive?
    Bryan

turbo addict

Now it drives just as if this was the early 1990s when the Holley was put on new. The ETs are a .25 second slow, but during testing I was short shifting 250 rpm, so today I will sfift it like last year...if the rain holds off!

boostaholic

Any updates?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast