Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 400 hp on a 8v??

Garrett booster

400 hp on a 8v??

My goal is to put down 400 hp with my 2.5 8v, everyone around here says it won't happen, so I have to prove them wrong.. I have a .40 over 2.5 with a balanced bottem end, eagle h-beams, venolia pistons, potted big valvle g head with a 88 tbi roller cam, 1 peice intake, 52 mm TB, +40 injectors, 3 inch exhaust, and I'm planning on runnin mega squirt and water meth, is 400 possible and/or what am I missin to get it?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

Re: 400 hp on a 8v??

what turbo, fuel pump?
    ditch the +40 injectors (they will be on their limit), 1 piece and the 52mm TB. the engine will need to breath so either go custom intake or 2-piece with aaron's plenum or something like that.
    get a bigger TB too...

turbo addict

Who said it wasnt possible? There are a few guys on here making almost 500 to the wheels in an 8v.. You need to ditch the sock 1 piece intake first off and get a custom large plenum intake.. Your also going to need a big turbo and lots of BOOST!!

boostaholic

you DEF need a better intake..a custom one a that...and also a header too....

I would be happy with 300hp on my shelbys set up...talk to darren...he's the guy that had the billet bearing retainers made for the drive shafts in the group buy section...csx(something) is i sn on here...i think he's got the same goal as you.

turbo addict

You should be able to do it...there are many street driven 2.4 SRT4s pulling over 400 hp...mine is about 285-300 using a BFMIC, Mopar 2 1/2 CAI, Mopar 2 1/2 exhaust with an extra muffler thrown in, Stage 2 with no toys, Walpro 255, and a Forward Motion S3 turbo running only 14 psi boost on 93 oct, pump gas, and DOT Hoosier drag radials. I am now breaking axles so in the next few weeks will go in some DSS stage 3s AND...best of all...a fuel controller so we can raise the boost. The wrench doing my car thinks the new contrroller is good for 100+ hp and we'll see 24-26 psi of boost safely. I am a conservative and can see the following:

If it ads only 50 hp my 12.8 ets will drop to 12.1s and if I gain 75 hp then I will be into the high 11s, he thinks I will run in the 11.6-11.7 or even in the 11.5s!

Of course, I STILL have a twin fogger nitrous set up sitting in the garage that I can set as low as 50 hp or a motor blowing 300 hp shot!!!

35 time NHRA/IHRA Drag Race Champ
    05 SRT4 / S2 / 12.87 @ 110 / DOTs
    05 Mustang V6 / wifes / 15.17 @ 92 BONE stock
    96 Geo Metro / 3 cyl - 1 ltr - 55 hp / 19.84 @ 66
    84 Horizon / used to run 13's no power adders

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

The 2.2L 8V that was in my Z was ~400whp

big valve race ported head
    ported 2-pc intake
    custom equal runner tubular header
    T3/T4 hybrid

Build here:
    http://www.badassperformance.com/mri..._8v_specs.html

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 89ShelbyGuy View Post
    you DEF need a better intake..a custom one a that...and also a header too....

I would be happy with 300hp on my shelbys set up...talk to darren...he's the guy that had the billet bearing retainers made for the drive shafts in the group buy section...csx(something) is i sn on here...i think he's got the same goal as you.
    My goal was 400 WHP. Now my goal is to sell it. To the starter of this thread, buy my car and save your self alot of money and time..........lol

Back to the topic. All I have to say is good luck on your quest.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by me235 View Post
    My goal is to put down 400 hp with my 2.5 8v, everyone around here says it won't happen, so I have to prove them wrong.. I have a .40 over 2.5 with a balanced bottem end, eagle h-beams, venolia pistons, potted big valvle g head with a 88 tbi roller cam, 1 peice intake, 52 mm TB, +40 injectors, 3 inch exhaust, and I'm planning on runnin mega squirt and water meth, is 400 possible and/or what am I missin to get it?
    Easily doable with the right parts.

Quote Originally Posted by 1984rampage View Post
    Who said it wasnt possible? There are a few guys on here making almost 500 to the wheels in an 8v.. You need to ditch the sock 1 piece intake first off and get a custom large plenum intake.. Your also going to need a big turbo and lots of BOOST!!
    Almost? A couple of us are past the 500WHP mark.

Quote Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post
    You should be able to do it...there are many street driven 2.4 SRT4s pulling over 400 hp...mine is about 285-300 using a BFMIC, Mopar 2 1/2 CAI, Mopar 2 1/2 exhaust with an extra muffler thrown in, Stage 2 with no toys, Walpro 255, and a Forward Motion S3 turbo running only 14 psi boost on 93 oct, pump gas, and DOT Hoosier drag radials. I am now breaking axles so in the next few weeks will go in some DSS stage 3s AND...best of all...a fuel controller so we can raise the boost. The wrench doing my car thinks the new contrroller is good for 100+ hp and we'll see 24-26 psi of boost safely. I am a conservative and can see the following:

If it ads only 50 hp my 12.8 ets will drop to 12.1s and if I gain 75 hp then I will be into the high 11s, he thinks I will run in the 11.6-11.7 or even in the 11.5s!

Of course, I STILL have a twin fogger nitrous set up sitting in the garage that I can set as low as 50 hp or a motor blowing 300 hp shot!!!

35 time NHRA/IHRA Drag Race Champ
    05 SRT4 / S2 / 12.87 @ 110 / DOTs
    05 Mustang V6 / wifes / 15.17 @ 92 BONE stock
    96 Geo Metro / 3 cyl - 1 ltr - 55 hp / 19.84 @ 66
    84 Horizon / used to run 13's no power adders
    Comparing an SRT-4 2.4l to a 2.5 8v is like comparing a tortus to a hare. You can make 600WHP with just bolt-ons because the 2.4l SRT-4 pkg already breaths like crazy! Really no restriction in that set-up from intake to exhaust port!

The OP needs the right turbo, the right intake, 3" mandrel right off the turbo is prob the single biggest difference between ppl who have made it and ppl who haven't! Good ported head, good FMIC and good CAI, + the right fuel and timing to tune it right. Proper cooling mods and good PCV breather will keep it alive a lot longer.

BTW, did you mean 400 crank HP, or 400 to the wheels? A header would be a nice add-on, but deff not needed at this power level as a properly ported stock exhaust mani will laugh at 400 WHP.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    [...]
    BTW, did you mean 400 crank HP, or 400 to the wheels? A header would be a nice add-on, but deff not needed at this power level as a properly ported stock exhaust mani will laugh at 400 WHP.
    just because somebody has gone past 400hp on a ported stocker, doesn't mean it's not a serious cork
    i will state, that with a proper aftermarket exhaust manifold (equal lengh or log style) it's easier to reach that goal.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Thats good...cause i got a ported stocker..

turbo addict

With some thought I think 650+ might be doable. I mean, there are some 8V Volvos putting this down on pump gas. Their heads are about as "crappy" as ours are flow wise.

Like the fellas are saying ... the engine has to breathe. Those guys concentrate on an even intake/exhaust PR (1:1) in all rpm, raising only slightly near the limiter. That allows them to run bigger cams and then, bigger turbos. One guy I talked to opens his exhaust valve a little sooner. While this steals some energy from the piston, the increased pulse through the exhaust helps move a bigger turbine A/R then you might otherwise think you could use. Their not so much concerned with low lift flow then ( with a head porting job) as the turbo is still flowing in the system and making up for what might normally be considered a loss on the bench.

Maybe what Shadow is trying to say is when you get the turbo sized right, the exhaust mani isn't really the big issue we think it is. The turbo is the cork.

Garrett booster

Sorry I forgot about turbo it's a 70 trim turbo I'm sure it's enough to hit what I want I also have the tu ported exhaust manifold, so it's sounding like I really need a new intake and possibly injectors?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by me235 View Post
    Sorry I forgot about turbo it's a 70 trim turbo I'm sure it's enough to hit what I want I also have the tu ported exhaust manifold, so it's sounding like I really need a new intake and possibly injectors?
    ...as in "super 70"? You won;t hit 400hp with a super 70 on an 8v. I would be looking into a Holset or a GT30R for that kind of power.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    With some thought I think 650+ might be doable. I mean, there are some 8V Volvos putting this down on pump gas. Their heads are about as "crappy" as ours are flow wise.

Like the fellas are saying ... the engine has to breathe. Those guys concentrate on an even intake/exhaust PR (1:1) in all rpm, raising only slightly near the limiter. That allows them to run bigger cams and then, bigger turbos. One guy I talked to opens his exhaust valve a little sooner. While this steals some energy from the piston, the increased pulse through the exhaust helps move a bigger turbine A/R then you might otherwise think you could use. Their not so much concerned with low lift flow then ( with a head porting job) as the turbo is still flowing in the system and making up for what might normally be considered a loss on the bench.

Maybe what Shadow is trying to say is when you get the turbo sized right, the exhaust mani isn't really the big issue we think it is. The turbo is the cork.
    They have a lot more room to open those heads up and the flow path isn't quite as ugly.

Head is the ticket. Speed costs....

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Dodge View Post
    just because somebody has gone past 400hp on a ported stocker, doesn't mean it's not a serious cork
    i will state, that with a proper aftermarket exhaust manifold (equal lengh or log style) it's easier to reach that goal.
    You should ALL know by now, that I wouldn't make that kind of statement if I didn't have 100% datta logged proof to back it up!

Can it be true, someones actually starting to "get it"!

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    ...as in "super 70"? You won;t hit 400hp with a super 70 on an 8v. I would be looking into a Holset or a GT30R for that kind of power.
    What he said. 70 trim means/tells nothing. What turbo is it exactly? Also, you never aswered as to wether you want to make 400crank, or 400WHP. 400 crank would be doable with the +40's.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by t3rse View Post
    They have a lot more room to open those heads up and the flow path isn't quite as ugly.

Head is the ticket. Speed costs....
    I don't know ... they flow pretty bad stock compared to our heads. I was shocked. Not a disagreement, just an observation.

What I'm understanding though is that the heads are being worked for quality of flow (no turbulence) ... checked at 28 and 40. I know a lot of benches aren't up to checking at 40. So maybe as a guideline we could check that our ports don't stall at 28 with lifts far higher than we'd be shooting for. At least then we'd be pretty sure it can handle the high pressure/velocity better. They work the seats a bit differently too.

The exhaust is similar. They don't want a trickle through the turbine but a large amount of energy to wake up that bigger turbine. Maybe too much CS area on a manifold is counter productive?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Don't want to monopolize the conversation but since the turbo was brought up thought I'd throw this out there.

The premise of "too large" a turbine A/R ... "too much lag", "only good with a 16v head" plus all the other nuances that have been used to scare people off those choices. Not saying these weren't worthy arguments but the issue may instead lie with flow on the intake side, right up to the valve, not being up to the task. I mean, we do tend to approach things a bit backassward. We throw on a bigger turbo and do nothing else ... look for the higher dyno number, don't get it and then declare that those sized turbos don't work ... gospel. I see a claimed daily driven 8V volvo putting down 670rwhp w/27psi on pump gas. We're doing good but I think we're leaving some on the table.

Garrett booster

I'm not 100% sure specs on the turbo I'll look it's not a super 70 though. I'd like to make 400 whp but if I can get 400 crank hp I can make up the rest with nitrous lol

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Don't want to monopolize the conversation but since the turbo was brought up thought I'd throw this out there.

The premise of "too large" a turbine A/R ... "too much lag", "only good with a 16v head" plus all the other nuances that have been used to scare people off those choices. Not saying these weren't worthy arguments but the issue may instead lie with flow on the intake side, right up to the valve, not being up to the task. I mean, we do tend to approach things a bit backassward. We throw on a bigger turbo and do nothing else ... look for the higher dyno number, don't get it and then declare that those sized turbos don't work ... gospel. I see a claimed daily driven 8V volvo putting down 670rwhp w/27psi on pump gas. We're doing good but I think we're leaving some on the table.
    That's impressive. Got info on his setup, lag etc? Yep, jacking away,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast