Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: MPScan

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: MPScan

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Well, then i think the LM crowd will be served with the new mpscilink which will allow for configurable analog inputs. You could then use the 0-5v wideband output to mpscilink and datalog AFRwb.

Morris, this setup should work with LM cars, correct?
    yes, it is programmed to work the same way mpscan does and should support all ecu types hopefully. the only thing unknown at this time is how it will work with the newer sbec/fcc ecu's that require a separate programming voltage. however the scanning part should still work.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

boostaholic

okay lets give this a try
    Attached Files Attached Files

didn't work. only had 2 shortcuts in it, not the actual files.

boostaholic

whoops. lets try again
    Attached Files Attached Files

that all looks good and loads ok. next thing is to do a log and post up the .mpl file and i'll take a look at that.

btw, on the second layout you need to edit the afr gauge (right click) and set the afr locations to map3bar and injpw.

Probably should try and find a tutorial on it, but when reviewing logs, is there a way to scroll through a log and see it comprehensively? Is there a way to look at a segment of the data or is it best to just to record in small timelines?

Also, for the knock voltage, I have the gauge configured to the variable KNKV, is that correct or should I be using the KNKTHR variable? I made a spark advance change by about 2 degrees and saw very little change in the output voltage and typically it was .04-.12, which seems kinda low. All the other gauges look good and are providing data, seemingly accurate.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Probably should try and find a tutorial on it, but when reviewing logs, is there a way to scroll through a log and see it comprehensively? Is there a way to look at a segment of the data or is it best to just to record in small timelines?

Also, for the knock voltage, I have the gauge configured to the variable KNKV, is that correct or should I be using the KNKTHR variable? I made a spark advance change by about 2 degrees and saw very little change in the output voltage and typically it was .04-.12, which seems kinda low. All the other gauges look good and are providing data, seemingly accurate.
    did you export it to a csv file and load it in a spreadsheet? or you could open up the graph display and look at several seconds at a time. also, in the graph display if you hold down the mouse button while you move it left/right it will show the values at the point in time pointed to by the mouse pointer. assuming the knock locations are accurate i do not have a better answer for you. the only thing i would suggest would be to put a multimeter on the sensor and see if it agrees to the readings you are seeing.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

The knock volts is what you want to trend. The knock threshold is the value from the table of knock voltage vs rpm (and i assume any other calculations that effect the threshold). So if your knock voltage exceeds that value, it retards timing.

When you use the mpscandroid version, you can play your .mpl (log) and move your time easy by tapping on the bar as it is playing. You can't pause and advance one log frame at a time like in mpscan. You can quickly doubletap the play button (which turns into the stop button) so effectively will advance 1 frame.

If you know you want to see a certain type event, you could try to use the trigger function. Set a gauge trigger to start your log when the gsuge reading hits a certain value.

But, i also find it easier to digest a log that is in .csv format and look at it in your favorite spreadsheet program. I use open office, or google docs.

Morris is always working on something for us, and his other projects, but a nice future feature of mpscandroid would be a way to pause the logging playback and/or slow framerate; and if mpscandroid could do an export to .csv format.

I've been using it for a while, and it is my primary logging method, though i am testing through the prototype mpscilink, which does log better than mpscandroid through usb OTG cable connected to the ftdi flash cable.

Good stuff is coming if you can be patient a bit longer. Morris and Miles have been putting a lot of time into the mpscilink. I think it is getting pretty close.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    did you export it to a csv file and load it in a spreadsheet? or you could open up the graph display and look at several seconds at a time. also, in the graph display if you hold down the mouse button while you move it left/right it will show the values at the point in time pointed to by the mouse pointer. assuming the knock locations are accurate i do not have a better answer for you. the only thing i would suggest would be to put a multimeter on the sensor and see if it agrees to the readings you are seeing.
    No, this helps Morris. I haven't used MPScan enough as I was having internal issues getting it to work correctly. I logged two sessions, but since I was alone I just turned it on and drove, not knowing how it would read when I got a chance to look at it. But exporting is the way to go for me. I don't remember seeing it get anything above about .12 for knock, so I was worried I didn't have the correct variable or maybe it wasn't reading it correctly. I didn't hear anything, but previously I had some audible knock and was expecting to "see" it again after having added more than was taken out from the last cal I had done. This will work, I'll just use the export feature and look to maybe get someone to go with me when I do logging next time. I'm also planning to take it to a dyno day and maybe I can have someone help me log while I do a few pulls.

As always, thanks for the time and input with the program.

The knock volts is what you want to trend. The knock threshold is the value from the table of knock voltage vs rpm (and i assume any other calculations that effect the threshold). So if your knock voltage exceeds that value, it retards timing.

When you use the mpscandroid version, you can play your .mpl (log) and move your time easy by tapping on the bar as it is playing. You can't pause and advance one log frame at a time like in mpscan. You can quickly doubletap the play button (which turns into the stop button) so effectively will advance 1 frame.

If you know you want to see a certain type event, you could try to use the trigger function. Set a gauge trigger to start your log when the gsuge reading hits a certain value.

But, i also find it easier to digest a log that is in .csv format and look at it in your favorite spreadsheet program. I use open office, or google docs.

Morris is always working on something for us, and his other projects, but a nice future feature of mpscandroid would be a way to pause the logging playback and/or slow framerate; and if mpscandroid could do an export to .csv format.

I've been using it for a while, and it is my primary logging method, though i am testing through the prototype mpscilink, which does log better than mpscandroid through usb OTG cable connected to the ftdi flash cable.

Good stuff is coming if you can be patient a bit longer. Morris and Miles have been putting a lot of time into the mpscilink. I think it is getting pretty close.
    Looking forward to the mpscanlink thing for sure! I haven't tried to get mpscandroid working in my car since a while back, but I may try it again. Last time it wasn't working or I couldn't get the OTG cable to work with the application and read anything from the Ostrich. I thought it was capable to read/work with the Ostrich, but it's been months since I was worrying about that, so I don't remember if the issue was on my end or if it was fully working at the time. If your is working, maybe it was just me.

I may also set up some of those triggers and see how that works. Again, still learning some of the features and functionality.

As far as the knock goes, if I could hear it before and I'm assuming it was knock and the computer will retard timing, wouldn't the knock still register on the knock voltage? Again, I didn't hear it this time, but kinda thought I was going to hear it given I added an additional degree on top of what I had taken out originally. I'm a little ignorant when it comes to tuning, so forgive my lack of experience in this subject.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

No, this helps Morris. I haven't used MPScan enough as I was having internal issues getting it to work correctly. I logged two sessions, but since I was alone I just turned it on and drove, not knowing how it would read when I got a chance to look at it. But exporting is the way to go for me. I don't remember seeing it get anything above about .12 for knock, so I was worried I didn't have the correct variable or maybe it wasn't reading it correctly. I didn't hear anything, but previously I had some audible knock and was expecting to "see" it again after having added more than was taken out from the last cal I had done. This will work, I'll just use the export feature and look to maybe get someone to go with me when I do logging next time. I'm also planning to take it to a dyno day and maybe I can have someone help me log while I do a few pulls.

As always, thanks for the time and input with the program.
    FWIW, IMHO if it is not a new knock sensor, I wouldn't trust it. I've seen quite a few come apart or look fine but not work over the years.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    FWIW, IMHO if it is not a new knock sensor, I wouldn't trust it. I've seen quite a few come apart or look fine but not work over the years.
    That's a good point. I haven't heard anything, but sometimes when you get on it's hard to hear if it's faint and I'm depending on MPScan to tell me. I may have an extra one lying around. Any negatives on buying a new one? Any particular one recommended or the vendor, like AZ or Oreilys, etc.?

You can try the test to see if it is picking up anything. Gary had posted a video when i was questioning if mine was working properly.
    While logging at idle, tap the intake with something metal like a socket extension repeatedly and very fast. You have to make a "tap" at a certain point in the timing cycle for the computer to register it as knock. You should see your knock voltage pop up when you tap at the proper time.
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

turbo addict

on analyzing your logs or to see a certain spot i use excel or google drive as Wayne said i then sort and filter out anything that is not full throttle or a TPSV > 3.5 at least when I am tuning for full throttle. I also use the formatting to give color gradients to the AFR column to easily see what area needs tuning. Or color gradients on the knock column for adjusting timing.

Still haven't had much time to use it much but this helps me "see" the logs better. My plan is to have a templated spreadsheet all formated that i can just copy and paste my logs into each time to have it done quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post
    on analyzing your logs or to see a certain spot i use excel or google drive as Wayne said i then sort and filter out anything that is not full throttle or a TPSV > 3.5 at least when I am tuning for full throttle. I also use the formatting to give color gradients to the AFR column to easily see what area needs tuning. Or color gradients on the knock column for adjusting timing.

Still haven't had much time to use it much but this helps me "see" the logs better. My plan is to have a templated spreadsheet all formated that i can just copy and paste my logs into each time to have it done quickly.
    If you work out all those formatting things into a template, that you can simply import the .csv data, that would be handy. I haven't messed with any advanced spreadsheet features other than statistical calcs to get my average boost for comparisons between runs.
    The color gradiant changes are a great idea for the AFR column! I'd like to see that.
    If you are good with it, can you try your template with open office or google sheets? But maybe some of the stuff is only in excell?
    Wayne H.

turbo addict

If you work out all those formatting things into a template, that you can simply import the .csv data, that would be handy. I haven't messed with any advanced spreadsheet features other than statistical calcs to get my average boost for comparisons between runs.
    The color gradiant changes are a great idea for the AFR column! I'd like to see that.
    If you are good with it, can you try your template with open office or google sheets? But maybe some of the stuff is only in excell?
    I actually use some of your data logs to play with them as they are posted on here and easy for me to grab when i want to play with formatting.
    Here is one of them done up https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Its super easy in drive just right click on a column and the bottom option is conditional formatting and you can use the greater than less than etc and then set what color you want it to be on this one i rearranged your columns to put a few of the parameters closer together.
    Basically anytime you get a retard in the cylinders it is red, Full throttle TPSV=yellow, AFR<11 is blue, 11>AFR<11.6 is green, and AFR>11.8 red. Just a quick one i made to show you. Maybe we should make a tuning with MPScan tips thread or something. I also found a cool way to uset T3 datalogs and get the AFR in a 3D table that looks just like the fueling tables so it is easy to compare and adjust.

just a quick note on formatting the datetime column. in excel you can use the custom format hh:mm:ss.000 to display the fractional seconds. never tried google spreadsheets.

That's cool. I need to go and try that in my more recent logs. I set my mpscandroid layout to alarm on any cylinder retards. It would be nice to flag itself in the spreadsheet.
    I'll have to play with the conditional formatting for several of my log columns.
    Wayne H.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

That's a good point. I haven't heard anything, but sometimes when you get on it's hard to hear if it's faint and I'm depending on MPScan to tell me. I may have an extra one lying around. Any negatives on buying a new one? Any particular one recommended or the vendor, like AZ or Oreilys, etc.?
    I bought a BWD from Oreilly's and it's worked great so far for a few years now. Unsure if the Mopar ones are still available.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

Just wondering if someone could help set up a gauge in the layout screen to monitor the charged air temp sensor. I have every other gauge I want set up and working but charged air temp is the only one I still can't figure out. running the turbonator 91 T3 cal in a boostbutton 91 T3 sbec
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
    Just wondering if someone could help set up a gauge in the layout screen to monitor the charged air temp sensor. I have every other gauge I want set up and working but charged air temp is the only one I still can't figure out. running the turbonator 91 T3 cal in a boostbutton 91 T3 sbec
    Have you tried CHGVLT? it looks like it is only a raw voltage but you could set it up to convert to a temperature