Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: MPScan

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: MPScan

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    rob - are you saying you use the usb custom option at 9600 baud? if so, why not try the higher baud rates? also, did you change your usb port latency to <=8 mSec and the buffer size to 64 bytes? from what i understand, that seems to kick the bytes back faster since the usb system will timeout and return the small packet.
    Yeah, 9600 baud. I guess I never thought to try it faster than that. I'll do that next time I make a cal...

I don't remember what all I changed in the USB properties other than the inverted output. I'll take a look next time...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

the latency and buffer size are under the windows device driver/port configuration screen for the usb virtual com port.

also, if the higher usb speeds work, you might want to experiment with logging more sample packets per second. i set the default to 10/sec.

I currently have it at 50samples/sec. But, I've tried 100. I changed it because it seemed to lose less data at 50...

I'll check the com port settings...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

okay so I dont know much about this stuff, at all. What would I have to buy to make this work with my laptop and a LM, SMEC, or SBEC car? I have all 3...

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    okay so I dont know much about this stuff, at all. What would I have to buy to make this work with my laptop and a LM, SMEC, or SBEC car? I have all 3...
    A ftdi USB to serial adapter will work for all 3 with the caveat about the car being off kept in mind.

turbo addict

does it plug into the same port as a scanner?

turbo addict

Looks like I need a chipped ecu with a cable coming out of it?

You don't have to do it that way. The FTDI cable can simply be plugged into the SCI port as well...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Yes. You're better off using the SCI port for anything other than a LM. The LM it really depends on how good you are with a soldering iron. I'd rather have the interface in the car, with short cabling, that's why I wrote the tutorial the way I did.

One day I'll get the tutorial for the SMEC/SBEC SCI usage up.

turbo addict

Im lost... where is the sci port? Anyone have any links to a writeup?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

hmmmm just tried to setup MPScan and every time i went to hit "insert" in the grid setup, it made a bell sound and the program crashed.

i chose "grid setup" and then "new" and loaded a T-LM V10_2 list file. then tried to hit insert to see what would happen and it crashed.

next time i tried loading that .mpc thing in grid setup and still, every time i hit "insert" the program crashes.

i tried it with a T-smec 16_4 cal and its working fine.

Brian

also, i go to switch from grid view back into grid setup and it yells at me and the only way i can see to exit out of realtime stuff is to close the entire program.

am i missing something?

Brian

brian - i identify ram locations in the .lst file by the "==" assignment operator. the t-smec .asm file is set up that way (and that's all i tested it with). the t-lm .asm file only uses the "=" operator. so to get the t-lm to work you need to replace "=" with "==" in the .asm and recompile. only do this for the ram locations (0x00 - 0xFF). don't change the bit description lines or any other non ram location lines. that should fix it. hopefully rob will read this and change/update his template.

i was just playing with it a bit also. i need to do some work on the grid setup stuff. sometimes the editing/cursor movement whacks out.

what r u exactly doing when switching from the real time to the grid setup. if you have a real time grid open and then try to go to grid setup screen, it should tell you to close the real time screen first. hmm.

thanks, ill try that.

yeah it gives me the message to close the real time screen..... they way i had the grid screen laid out, i couldnt see the X to close the screen. figured it out.

Brian

Hybrid booster

On the SMEC in MPscan I am choosing the DRBII option and correct com port using the ttl-232r-5v USB cable with the correct TSmec list and this is not really working. I get very little flashes that something is trying to work, but it is only full maximum values which appear very briefly and intermittent. The USB cable is setup for the Logworks plugin right now which works flawlessly and I have tried buffer latency from 16ms down to 1ms with the same results either way. USB 0-5 volts is already set inverted.
    Can someone post their com port settings how has theirs working?

I don't think it's going to work uless you have a custom cal that's had the baud rate modified to be 9608. The stock DBR routines run at 7812 and 62500 baud. PC serial ports cannot talk at these baud rates...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

I will try it at 9608. I saw the first post and thought it worked like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    i usually use the high speed logging option with a serial rs232 converter. however, i have successfully used a usb cable at 62500 using the drb ii protocol (although it is MUCH slower).

Sorry, I mis-read. I thought you were trying to do it with a standard serial cable. Dis-regard my comment above, it doesn't apply to the FTDI cable...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

Cool! Do I have to reprogram cable differently with Mprog for MPscan than it is programed for the Logworks plugin?
    Last edited by Stratman; 08-19-2010 at 10:10 AM.

stratman - i broke out risens smecstim last night to do some testing with mpscan. the smecstim has the ftdi usb chip embedded on the board. i did not do the initial programming on it but my guess is risen set it up properly (i.e. inverted signals, etc). anyhow, after plugging in the usb cable, i make sure the virtual com port (vcp) is recognized by windows. i also went in and set the latency to 1 and the buffer size to 64. after starting mpscan, i set up the com port to the vcp port and selected the smec t1 protocol option. closed the screen, opened up displays, clicked on grid and opened the config file i wanted. pressed the record button and it worked like a charm!?

obviously you know this but just to confirm ---- i loaded up the stock smec-t1-139 cal in mptuner and made sure the baud rates were set to 7812/62500 and the high speed logger option was NOT checked. recompiled. flashed to the ostrich. i then went into mpscan and setup a grid.

i also tried using the high speed logger option with the usb cable using the custom protocol at 9608 and 62500. 9608 worked pretty well but i still get some weird pauses. i was sending 8 locations at a time and would periodically only get 7 back before it timed out. 62500 didn't work well at all. i did mess with the timeouts a bit as well as used a different routine to try to fix it. i'll have to spend more time on it.

the best luck i've had is using the rs232/serial converter at 9600 baud using the high speed option fwiw.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast