Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: MPScan

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

Re: MPScan

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post
    Have you tried CHGVLT? it looks like it is only a raw voltage but you could set it up to convert to a temperature
    yes i tried that but when I unplug the sensor, the readings don't change. I only tried setting this gauge up without the car running, only in key on mode. wondering if that matters??
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
    yes i tried that but when I unplug the sensor, the readings don't change. I only tried setting this gauge up without the car running, only in key on mode. wondering if that matters??
    I am not sure, some sensors I have noticed act different under running conditions at least with my scan tool I would try it.

well with my snap-on brick scanner I'm able to see the charge air temp and with key on only it reads fine and when unplugged there is change in reading, so still not sure why I can't get it to work in MP Scan dash layout so I can log it. But on a positive note i figured out that the charge air temp sensor is a 0-5v range and 5v is full cold while 0v is full hot and 3.14v was about 55*F and using a heat gun on the charge pipe the voltage started dropping as the temp on the scanner rose.
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Worked on a new dashboard layout last night, going to try and see if I can get CHGVLT to work with MPscan today. One thing I noticed is there is no address for charged air temp value, only voltage, but don't know if it's the raw data or converted channel? Also
    going to snoop around in the sbecII since they are close and see what addresses are used there and see if i can find something to help me, if so how do I change ram location addresses? Is it the same way as when you make your dashboard when you populate the ram info, just change the ram info there?
    Turbo Joe

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Just wondering if someone could help set up a gauge in the layout screen to monitor the charged air temp sensor. I have every other gauge I want set up and working but charged air temp is the only one I still can't figure out. running the turbonator 91 T3 cal in a boostbutton 91 T3 sbec
    turbo joe, i looked at the t-t3_22_t3_mtx cal and rob has set up these 3 variables:
    1) ChargeTemp 0x7d (125D)
    2) LastChargeTemp 0x8e (142D)
    3) AmbientAirTemp 0x90 (144D)

in mpscan you would need to make sure you are using the SBEC TIII ecu, correct? i would try logging all 3 gauges just to see what you get for results, but my best guess would be to use #2 above based on looking at the code which stores all ecu reads initially to address 0x8e. if that works and you want to see degrees, then go back into mpscan and open up the layout file called xref settings. scroll down to the gauge called ChargeTemp (CHRG) and in the TIII column change the -1 to the decimal number shown, e.g. 142.

let me know how this works.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Worked on a new dashboard layout last night, going to try and see if I can get CHGVLT to work with MPscan today. One thing I noticed is there is no address for charged air temp value, only voltage, but don't know if it's the raw data or converted channel? Also
    going to snoop around in the sbecII since they are close and see what addresses are used there and see if i can find something to help me, if so how do I change ram location addresses? Is it the same way as when you make your dashboard when you populate the ram info, just change the ram info there?
    I don't have my computer with me, but I'll try to help.
    If you make a change to the ram setup, the point will go into the user gauge list.
    You should be able to edit the settings to convert to a temperature, or you may be able to do the conversion in your gauge config when you add CHGVLT to your layout. There is a divisor setting and i'm thinking you could use that to convert to temperature if you knew the constant to convert. Or, it may be simpler, by just using different ecu min/max values in the ram setup to display the values in temperature.

When in the user gauge list, you can change name to ChgTmp or something as well.

Morris might be able to chime in to provide the correct numbers to set your gauge to read temperature.
    I think this should work, as i don't see why it would be different than the analog input gauges he added. But, i may be overspeaking.
    If 3.14v = 55F, what does 5v, and 0.1v =? From that i think a math geek can solve for the constant if the resistance/temperature is linear.

Its been a while since i had to do math, or think whatsoever...
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Mitsu booster

You could easily check with a hairdryer and a thermometer for linearity of the tempsensor, no? In case of non-linearity we could easily figure out some approximation formula (adding some ofset or factor)

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Morris might be able to chime in to provide the correct numbers to set your gauge to read temperature.
    I think this should work, as i don't see why it would be different than the analog input gauges he added. But, i may be overspeaking.
    If 3.14v = 55F, what does 5v, and 0.1v =? From that i think a math geek can solve for the constant if the resistance/temperature is linear.

start with what i mentioned earlier. the charge temp gauge has a unique curve to it that is resolved by the "function set" layout. so the math is not linear. make sure you update all the layout files with the most current versions via the layout update menu.

Sorry Morris, you must have been replying as i was, i hadn't seen the reply when i butt in!
    Joe you can disregard most of what i said.
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    turbo joe, i looked at the t-t3_22_t3_mtx cal and rob has set up these 3 variables:
    1) ChargeTemp 0x7d (125D)
    2) LastChargeTemp 0x8e (142D)
    3) AmbientAirTemp 0x90 (144D)

in mpscan you would need to make sure you are using the SBEC TIII ecu, correct? i would try logging all 3 gauges just to see what you get for results, but my best guess would be to use #2 above based on looking at the code which stores all ecu reads initially to address 0x8e. if that works and you want to see degrees, then go back into mpscan and open up the layout file called xref settings. scroll down to the gauge called ChargeTemp (CHRG) and in the TIII column change the -1 to the decimal number shown, e.g. 142.

let me know how this works.
    Wowzer, thanks man! the LastChrgAir option is what I was looking for. That is an active realtime channel for the charge air temp sensor. Now to see if I can get the converted info via related channel or try to see what scale the snap-on brick uses... wish me luck
    Turbo Joe

start with what i mentioned earlier. the charge temp gauge has a unique curve to it that is resolved by the "function set" layout. so the math is not linear. make sure you update all the layout files with the most current versions via the layout update menu.
    yes this is true, the scale is NOT linear at all.. I will try using my brick scanner since it tells me voltage and converted temp to map out the scale so maybe wowzer can figure out a way to make a conversion thing to use in MPscan or anyone else can map out a scale manually themselves with the info
    Turbo Joe

yes this is true, the scale is NOT linear at all.. I will try using my brick scanner since it tells me voltage and converted temp to map out the scale so maybe wowzer can figure out a way to make a conversion thing to use in MPscan or anyone else can map out a scale manually themselves with the info
    TJ - mpscan already uses a non linear scale using the function sets i mentioned earlier. if you have downloaded the most current layout file for it you will see i have set 3 of them up including one for the charge temp sensor based on actual chrysler info. to get it to work you need to do what i said in post 505. however, it would be interesting to see real world feedback which you can then enter into the function set table, ie. change the values to represent what you see.

TJ - mpscan already uses a non linear scale using the function sets i mentioned earlier. if you have downloaded the most current layout file for it you will see i have set 3 of them up including one for the charge temp sensor based on actual chrysler info. to get it to work you need to do what i said in post 505. however, it would be interesting to see real world feedback which you can then enter into the function set table, ie. change the values to represent what you see.
    ok I'll see what i can do to help with that.. on another note I found some info that i need to verify about that scale, a volt scale and a resistance scale, I'll try to test this out today, but a family member is having a baby so I spent all of yesterday evening until 5am at the hospital, hopefully i can get something done but the arrival was delayed until today so I'll most likely not be able to do much.
    Turbo Joe

Hybrid booster

Does anyone know if MPScan actuator tests are supposed to work with the vehicle running?

I swapped in a FWDP Stage 3 SBEC today and the radiator fan doesn't come on anymore. While testing, I noticed the actuator test with key on, engine off, cycles the cooling fan relay, but with the key on, engine running, it does not.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently the fan motor took a ---- between the last time I drove the car and when I installed the new stuff.
    Last edited by EaZyE426; 08-12-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EaZyE426 View Post
    Does anyone know if MPScan actuator tests are supposed to work with the vehicle running?

I swapped in a FWDP Stage 3 SBEC today and the radiator fan doesn't come on anymore. While testing, I noticed the actuator test with key on, engine off, cycles the cooling fan relay, but with the key on, engine running, it does not.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently the fan motor took a ---- between the last time I drove the car and when I installed the new stuff.
    Unless you know that for sure, maybe not.
    The actuator tests in MPScsn should be performing similar function tests the DRBII performs (although i have never tried with MPScan).
    These tests are performed with the vehicle not running, but the ignition power needs to be on.
    Try this again if you want to test your fan and fan relay. If you suspect a bad fan (hear your relay clicking but fan doesn't start ) try powering your fan with jumper wires off the battery. Thst will at least determine if it is the fan, or the relay.
    Wayne H.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Unless you know that for sure, maybe not.
    The actuator tests in MPScsn should be performing similar function tests the DRBII performs (although i have never tried with MPScan).
    These tests are performed with the vehicle not running, but the ignition power needs to be on.
    Try this again if you want to test your fan and fan relay. If you suspect a bad fan (hear your relay clicking but fan doesn't start ) try powering your fan with jumper wires off the battery. Thst will at least determine if it is the fan, or the relay.
    That's what I did. After the actuator test showed me the calibration wasn't screwed up and it would at least cycle the relay, I started tested and determined the fan motor would not run when direct power was supplied. I replaced the motor and repeated the actuator test with success, it turns on and off. The only issue with the actuator test is you can not cancel the test without cycling the key. It will just keep cycling the relays without end. Even closing MPScan won't stop the test. But I'll gladly deal with that over not having the test in there. Thanks for everything you've done Wayne.

That's what I did. After the actuator test showed me the calibration wasn't screwed up and it would at least cycle the relay, I started tested and determined the fan motor would not run when direct power was supplied. I replaced the motor and repeated the actuator test with success, it turns on and off. The only issue with the actuator test is you can not cancel the test without cycling the key. It will just keep cycling the relays without end. Even closing MPScan won't stop the test. But I'll gladly deal with that over not having the test in there. Thanks for everything you've done Wayne.
    Just glad you got it! You did all the hard work! My stuff usually stays broken way too long, so I'll always try to help others if i can. And glad to hear your fan motor was easy to remove. You got lucky!

I think Morris (wowzer) has mentioned the actuator tests might not be 100% yet. I've never tried them before since i have a drbII, but its good to know they generally work even if a bit tricky.
    Wayne H.

i think there might be a "special" way to end the actuator tests that i read about somewhere! i'll need to hook my drb2 back up and log the protocol. actually, should do ALL of them! i wrote the routines before i had the drb2 and saleae logic analyzer.

i think there might be a "special" way to end the actuator tests that i read about somewhere! i'll need to hook my drb2 back up and log the protocol. actually, should do ALL of them! i wrote the routines before i had the drb2 and saleae logic analyzer.
    To end the test with drbII you just hit the ATM button, then it asks to confirm stopping the test. So to stop, you hit ATM twice.
    Wayne H.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

The only issue with the actuator test is you can not cancel the test without cycling the key. It will just keep cycling the relays without end. Even closing MPScan won't stop the test. But I'll gladly deal with that over not having the test in there. Thanks for everything you've done Wayne.
    I had the same issue last week when doing the testing on my SMEC. Glad to know it wasn't just me.