Thread: Turbo Town and Country question

Garrett booster

Turbo Town and Country question

I have an 87 Chry. Town and Country (wagon) 2.2 turbo. I got it a couple months ago (bought out of state and shipped here and went almost directly to storage). I got it out the other day to 'clean it up' and see how badly I got taken (not as bad as I first thought, but I've gotta learn about buying cars on pictures! SLAP) and then it hit me.

NO LOUVERS IN THE HOOD!!! But wait, I've never seen a mid 80s turbo w/out at least one louver in the hood... 2 in the Lebaron/600s.

So, Is this normal?? Do I assume the hood was replaced (shows the code for the 2.2T and has the badging on the sides) or did they stop doing this somewhere after 86? What's strange to me is I've got a few plastic looms that appear to be melted in the back top of the engine (near water temp sensor) and started to wonder if the 2 are related.

Thoughts anyone?

Also, does anyone have the TnC production numbers for the Wagons?

Thanks!

turbo addict

Re: Turbo Town and Country question

The 87-88's don't have louvers. They built a total of 5880 T&C wagons in 87 with no breakdown for NA or Turbo engines.
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

Welcome to the T&C club.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wagonfront.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	280.2 KB 
ID:	21365  

Garrett booster

Thanks, and I love the 'TnC' (as well as all my 2.2T's)!

Question: Does anyone know if I can still get the Dynoc (or whatever it's called now) for the 'wood'? I know the correct grain for my 73 Town & Country is no longer available and you've got to find someone who died with a roll in the garage before you can get it, but I was hoping since the K-cars were newer that this grain was still available.

Mine's white also (stunning color combo IMO) and although the 'ash trim' needs to be touched up, it's all in very good condition... Just the contact paper wood that either has some tears, or in the case of the pass. rear quarter is TOTALLY degraded.

Thanks for any leads!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by carguyray View Post
    Thanks, and I love the 'TnC' (as well as all my 2.2T's)!

Question: Does anyone know if I can still get the Dynoc (or whatever it's called now) for the 'wood'? I know the correct grain for my 73 Town & Country is no longer available and you've got to find someone who died with a roll in the garage before you can get it, but I was hoping since the K-cars were newer that this grain was still available.

Mine's white also (stunning color combo IMO) and although the 'ash trim' needs to be touched up, it's all in very good condition... Just the contact paper wood that either has some tears, or in the case of the pass. rear quarter is TOTALLY degraded.

Thanks for any leads!
    Good luck that's the hardest thing to find on these and the woody conv
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

I found a place a while back that makes repalcement wood vinyl, I'll look for the link...

FOUND IT!!!

http://www.woodgrain4wagons.com/

They list the T & C!!!

Quote Originally Posted by carguyray View Post

Mine's white also (stunning color combo IMO) and although the 'ash trim' needs to be touched up,
    I used Rustoleum in a can -the color was called "Sand" to do my trim, along with LOTS of masking tape, LOL!!

Garrett booster

Good to know re. the rustoleum, but I was also told (via a guy at a TnC website) that using
    Meltonian Nu-Life Spray Paint - 4.5 oz. color 633-Champaign (believe it or not, a shoe dye) works and looks great. I've not tried it yet but I have been planning to order a can to test when I can.

Also THANK YOU for that website. I've got to get some ordered so I have it and will see how close the color is to the orig. stuff on my 73 Town and Country. It's in amazing orig. condition but the rear gate 'wood' is faded from how it was parked for years. I'm HOPING it'll match enough to do that too!

GREAT news again guys! Thanks.

Please let us know how the vinyl works out!!!

Also; we need pics of BOTH your T & C's.......

Garrett booster

Ya know... being a programmer ya'd think I'd spend some time and figure out how to put pix in my profile. I'm also a bit confused with things like "mitsu booster" under my name. That's sure not me and I've tried more than a few times to find where that's coming from and change it.

anyway, if nothing else I'll post some pix in this thread when I can stop and look at how!

SIGH! You know you're old when you haven't already figured out every part of the 'toys' involved in everything you do on a daily basis!

"Mitsu Booster" is your status here on TM.com

You need to join to add pics to your profile - it's cheap!!

Scroll down from the reply window, and click "manage atttachments" to add pics to the thread....

Garrett booster

It says I'm a member, Is there more I need to do? Also, down below this window it says:

You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may edit your posts

Is that what you mean?

Finally, is there a way to change that "mitsu booster" I can think of a lot better things to say in there!

turbo addict

it changes with the amount of posts you have. It does from mitsu to garret booster

I believe that if you become a contributor you can change it. I think that it only costs 10 bucks.

Hybrid booster

Welcome to the Turbo Town and Country club.

And lets see some picks please.

I have also heard about the shoe die and was going to try that. One guy said he used brown shoe polish also.
    KO, 86 T&C Turbo II 89 Daytona Shelby 84 Stingray SVB165SS