Thread: Transmission Problems!!!

Mitsu booster

Transmission Problems!!!

ok... so not long ago i was on this site in desperate need of help with a clutch cable problem and everyone was freakin amazing with where to look and what to do so ill try it again! i fixed my last problem with my clutch cable and drove the car for maybe a month. then one day i was driving around a lot going from place to place and i noticed that it was getting harder and harder to put the car into each gear... this worried me and i tried to baby the car the whole day. but as i was leaving my last errand of the day the car would just not go into gear with the car started... so i had to shut the car off at lights in order to get it in to first to get going again. and as i got to my last major intersection there was a very loud whirring sound from the front of the car as i pushed in the clutch. i had heard this sound some times before but it always went away and never stuck around for too long... only this time i new it was bad and was probably the end of whatever part made the sound. so i kept the clutch pushed to the floor but the car was still being pulled forward into the intersection. not fun at all... i shut off the car and started it one last time to get back to my house. now what i am asking is... what the hell is causing this? im pretty sure its the throw out bearing cuz that is the only thing i can think of that would make a sound when i push the clutch pedal to the floor, would not allow me to shift into gear with the engine running, and try and pop the clutch back while i still have the pedal mashed to the floor. am i correct in my assumption? and if i do have a throwout bearing that has kicked it... what do i need to do to fix it? i know ill need to drop the tranny probably... do i need to replace the clutch and pressure plate? is it better if i take it to a shop or is this a job i can do in my garage within a weekend... i have gone to school for auto tech so i know what im doing i just dont know if its worth the hassle. i have a 1986 dodge shelby charger with an a525 transmission in it. any guidance or suggestions would be awesome.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Transmission Problems!!!

Usually a TO bearing will rattle then get quiet when you press the cluthc pedal.. unles sit lets go from the fork it is clipped onto. You can try to pull up on teh clutch pedal to see if it adjusts enough to disengage the clutch, but with the noises you heard, I'm guessing the clutch or TO bearing broke... time to pull the trans

BTW, nice to see another Chicagoland Shelby fan on here!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

+1 sounds like a throwoutbearing went. Either way ^ is right you have to pull the trans to find out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Garrett booster

I would just go ahead and get a new clutch, TO bearing, and resurface the flywheel. It is kind of a pain to do a clutch in these cars. Its not that its a hard job, its more about knowing what has to be done to do the job. I used pull my mustang's trans a lot so I thought this was going to be easy. Wrong, its a similar job but if you haven't done some front wheel drives, its best to just be patient while your doing the job. So I would do it all at once so you don't have to do it again. Its probable that the clutch is just worn out so you aren't going to want to reuse it anyways.

Mitsu booster

how much would getting all this replaced at a shop cost? and when i pull the trans im guessing i have to remove the subframe of the car as well correct? i want to do it myself but i really dont have the garage space... its finally getting nice here in chicago and i want to drive my car! again... a 92 horsepower automatic mazda protege is shite compared to my boosted shelby! and in response to baddassperformance... go chi-town! lol ive been meaning to go to a chicagoland shelby dodge meeting for a while but i keep having problems with my car... hopefully once i get this car mended and worked on a bit ill have to check one out! and your daytona is sick btw!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Thanks! Hope to meet you sometime!

A shop is gonna hose you... and not sure of too many I would trust in the area. Maybe one of our locals would be willing to do it for some cash as a side job?

If you want to pull it yourself, not too hard, but fairly time consuming and tricky to wiggle it out... dont have to drop the k-member, but have to get everything else outta the way, LOL

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Its far easier to pull the transmission without the crossmember, but getting the crossmember off just to pull the transmission is a waste of time/effort. You just have to do a little maneuvering/prying to clear the crossmember and you'll be alright.

Garrett booster

Did you ever get it fixed?