Thread: New shocks

turbo addict

New shocks

Took the crap Ranchos off and added Gabriel Max Control Mono Tube shocks to my 1992 and it rides SO much better!!!!
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

boostaholic

Re: New shocks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Took the crap Ranchos off and added Gabriel Max Control Mono Tube shocks to my 1992 and it rides SO much better!!!!
    Id like to change out my Napa HD's for some better shocks.How much where they a piece?

turbo addict

I found one pair on ebay, new for $36
    The other pair cost me $53 each from AutoZone.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

KYB MonoMax are really good too, but they do not make them for our first gen Dodge trucks.

turbo addict

Here are the part numbers for the MaxControl shocks:

ranchos always rad like butt lol, they are good if you haul 2 tons everyday though

turbo addict

ranchos always rad like butt lol, they are good if you haul 2 tons everyday though
    I do haul a lot. I hauled a load today with the new shocks. Rancho's SUCK!..compared to these new ones.

Mitsu booster

Ive got blowsteins. They are proving to be the same as monroes and mopar shocks. They last 3 yrs or less on my 92.
    Anyone else have these problems?

turbo addict

I thought they were good!!!... never heard people have issues with them.
    My MaxControl shocks are still good, but not been on long enough to tell.

Mitsu booster

They all start out good. For some reason they dont last. My truck doesnt see winters.

turbo addict

Might be because they make them for a truck be it gas or diesel and the diesel has more weight and a lot stiffer springs. The shocks have trouble dampening those heavy springs. Where what they SHOULD do is make heavier, better dampening shocks for the diesels.

Mitsu booster

A friend of mine here has had the same problem. Something definitely needs to be done in the shock in the world.
    I bought my blowsteins @ autozone and I believe they have a lifetime warranty on them. I'll be takin them up on their offer. lol

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Which Rancho's? They've changed the adjustables to gas charged, so much better, they are no where near as harsh and do a better job,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

i run a set of bilstein hd series for a powerwagon front and rear along with the factory powerwagon coils and leaf springs and i got to say that i love the bilsteins. i also ran them on my 86 ramcharger before wrecking it (4x4) the 5100 series and they also were great shocks, and they all have a lifetime warranty but make sure you educate yourself how to go through the warranty process they have some minor hoops to jump through.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by shayne View Post
    i run a set of bilstein hd series for a powerwagon front and rear along with the factory powerwagon coils and leaf springs and i got to say that i love the bilsteins. i also ran them on my 86 ramcharger before wrecking it (4x4) the 5100 series and they also were great shocks, and they all have a lifetime warranty but make sure you educate yourself how to go through the warranty process they have some minor hoops to jump through.
    Is your Powerwagon a diesel? What year is the truck?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The powerwagon package only has the 5.7 V8 as the engine option.

Hybrid booster

my ram is an 03 hemi 4x4. the powerwagon coil would be mush under the weight of a cummins. i have seen guys putting factory cummins mega cab 4x4 coils into 2nd gen cummins trucks too good effect and to the tune of about 150 a coil from the dealership in a 97 single cab 4x4 lb it resulted in a 2.5" lift and with the bilstein 5100 pt# "6681" front shocks and with mini packs and bilstein 5100 pt#"6647" in back it rode great a cheaper alternative to the kore performance or carli suspensions for the dodges. the rear powerwagon leafs were a great find and would work on a 3rd gen diesel ram as well. with all the bits and pieces in my ram rides like a firm but controlled 1500 with the capacity of a 2500. if youd like the part numbers for the powerwagon leafs i can dig them up but they arent cheap at over $650 per side, i picked mine up from a dude who was drunk and totalled his powerwagon, showed up too late to grab the factory 4.56:1, locker equipped axles.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    The powerwagon package only has the 5.7 V8 as the engine option.
    Powerwagons are not something new. They were produced in the 70's, 80's and before!

Hybrid booster

the big difference, is that the new ones are getting back to the roots of it being something better and more capable than a stadard pick-up. the new ones have 2"lift over standard, bilstein hd shocks tuned to the chassis and spring rate, 4.56:1 r&p ratio, lockers front and rear with the rear being a torque biasing limited slip when unlocked, it has a factory 15000 lbs winch, electronically disconnecting sway bar, and the throttle inputs while in low range are numbed a bit electronically to keep you from busting a wheels loose while crawling. dont get me wrong i loved my 78 power wagon (440 4bbl, 3spd auto, 4.10's, full time 4x4, club cab longbox) when i had it, but other than a sweet mettalic brown paint job and orange, red and yellow badging and some other trim bits, nothing really defined it as anything better than a standard ram of the same era.