Thread: Porting the TIII manifolds

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Porting the TIII manifolds

Hey gang,

I have ported tons of 8V IN/EX manifolds even some Masi 16V stuff but in the 7+ years I've had the Rampage RT (TIII/568) the head has never been off nor do I have any experience playing with the Lotus stuff. So now I have a couple of lightly coolant wetted plugs so it's time for the head to come off. I still have to get the whole set up cleared past the most stringent of all inspection tests, the California Air Resource Board. In CA you can put a newer ('cleaner') engine into an older chassis, but not visa versa for post '73 smog controlled cars. Thing is the older chassis needs to then meet the emissions standards for the vehical that the newer engine came from. That means not only does it has to pass the sniffer for later car (the donor for the Rampage was a 93 IROC RT with 912 miles on the ODO ) but every smog piece needs to be in place and working. CARB wont even allow any non stock brass vacuum fittings! So the hybrid turbo and the big triple core I/C will have to stay on the shelf for now I figure I might as well optimize the stock manifolds as long as I am changing the head gasket. I know the best thing to do would be just to send the stuff off to one of the TIII gurus but if I had to pay someone to work on my TD projects, the house would get repo'd in no time.

Anyone have any tips/tricks/pitfalls to watch for when porting the TIII head/manifolds?? If you have done it no pearl of wisdom is too small for me to heed. I do have the increased height Ti retainers and adjustable cam gears to put on in the process. TIA

Alan
    84 Rampage RT TIII/568
    87 GLHS 16V Masi/555
    89 TC Masi DOHC/284 Getrag now, soon 523 OBX

turbo addict

Re: Porting the TIII manifolds

There is a T3 manifold on ebay right now. Ive never done any porting, but if I were to try it, I would want an extra laying around in the event I screwed up.

Good call, that's whay I am starting with a spare head/manifolds that got from parting out an RT a few years ago It also cuts the 'down time' of the project.

Alan

Would love to get some info on porting intake and exhaust manifolds. How much metal should be taken off and where? Can more harm be done than good without a flow bench? My head guy has cleaned up the bowls and ports lightly and taken the blunt edge off the port divider on the intake side. I was thinking of taking the same approach of only lightly modifying the manifolds.

Mitsu booster

First thing you REALLY need to do is move out of California! Once that is done you can do almost anything you want to.

Aw C'mon, you can do anything you want to your motor in California too, you just have to make sure they don't find it AND it has to burn as clean as or cleaner than stock You don't want a traffic stop to get to the point where they ask you to pop the hood

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Just open the exhaust up. Take the bumps from the runners and really work the collector well, especially the side where 3 runners converge into the collector. minimize any hard angles.

Gotcha Wallace, thanks. Kind of sounds the same as working a SOHC manifold

About how much can the bolt bumps come off before it's too thin there? 50%? 75%? Completely? I'm sure the TIII manifolds are pretty second nature to you by now

I have my TC apart and have been porting everything and building some new pieces But after that I am back on the Rampage RT, I'd like to bring it to Topeka this year, lots to do still...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

how does C.A.R.B. know if something is not stock on a t3? those engines were made for 3 yrs in a limited quantity? and if a fitting is or has damage, and mopar went ns1 with everything your supposed to junk the car because the vacume nipple isn't stock?
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

A club member here locally went thru the CARB/referee process a few months back, they dinged him for his BOV, non-stock IC tubing, FMIC, lack of EGR, aforementioned brass nipples (in Beavis voice, huh huh, he said nipples ), Grainger valve etc. These guys just know and worse if they don't know, they just consider it illegal He was so bummed he dumped that 2.5 Shadow and bought an EVO...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

here in mass. we have the same emissions standard as cali. modified or not
    as long as it passes the emissions test, thats all that matters. i would write to congress about that and make it a point that living expences supersed the fact a vacume nipple was replaced with a non oem peice due to damage to keep the egr system or what ever working properly. if it passes it passes!
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

turbo addict

I recall reading about a year ago that California was passing legislation to make it illegal to modify your vehicle's performance at all (to combat street racing). Is this what you're talking about?

We have emissions here, but they mostly just check for a Cat, no exhaust leaks, and that it passes all readings. Never seen them look under the hood of a car.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whorse

We have emissions here, but they mostly just check for a Cat, no exhaust leaks, and that it passes all readings. Never seen them look under the hood of a car.

They used to look under the hood, it was a PITA, now, we got it thru so they just check the gas cap, cat and if its clean, its clean. Thats the way it should be.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info