Thread: 87 LM for swirl head? How big a problem is this?

boostaholic

87 LM for swirl head? How big a problem is this?

Bought a swirl head the other week for my 85 TII- converted 600ES. It was ported to the freakin' moon, I had to ask the guy I bought it from what head it was because the combustion chamber was opened so much.

So I got a GREAT deal on a 3 bar LM (thanks Rob!) for +40 injectors. But the computer is an 87 and for a bathtub head engine. Which this engine no longer is.

I chatted with Vigo the other day and he concluded that the computer for the bathtub head (which I now have) will have a bunch more timing than a computer for the swirl head.

If this were any of my other TM's I'd just say ---- it and use it, but I put a TON of money into this thing and I'd rather not blow this one up (so long as the new tranny stays intact )

I'm just going to run it easy and watch the scan tool for picking up any knocking, but I was wondering if you guys think I'll be OK with this computer in my car?
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

turbo addict

Re: 87 LM for swirl head? How big a problem is this?

just get someone to burn you a swirl cal .

turbo addict

i would not run g-head cal with swirl head (and g pistons). my friend did this on the le baron he sold to me, sold it because it was blowin smoke, because it had 4 cracked pistons after running 11 psi of boost with no intercooler (it was pinging and knockin at cruise also). correct pistons im not sure about, but i wouldnt risk it.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big_P View Post
    It was ported to the freakin' moon, I had to ask the guy I bought it from what head it was because the combustion chamber was opened so much.
    Not sure if cc porting that much is a good thing?

'87 electronics... I would start with an MP S-II LM, but that doesnt let you use yoru new 3-bar MAP.

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    i would not run g-head cal with swirl head (and g pistons). my friend did this on the le baron he sold to me, sold it because it was blowin smoke, because it had 4 cracked pistons after running 11 psi of boost with no intercooler (it was pinging and knockin at cruise also). correct pistons im not sure about, but i wouldnt risk it.
    That would probably depend on what "g-head cal" it is...

Also, jeeze everyone, a G and a swirl are not that much different, esp. on a 2.2L...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Big_P View Post
    Bought a swirl head the other week for my 85 TII- converted 600ES. It was ported to the freakin' moon, I had to ask the guy I bought it from what head it was because the combustion chamber was opened so much.

So I got a GREAT deal on a 3 bar LM (thanks Rob!) for +40 injectors. But the computer is an 87 and for a bathtub head engine. Which this engine no longer is.
    Just talk to Rob, he should be able to set you up if you don't have the cal already (and it's just a update of the chip if you do have it in hand). More or less, it's a matter of swapping over the spark curves from a swirl cal into your cal.