Thread: Worth it? 1974 Dodge Charger SE

Mitsu booster

Worth it? 1974 Dodge Charger SE

Went to check out this car yesterday, he wants $2000 for it, starts up and purrs like a kitten...a REALLY BIG kitten, has dual exhaust straight pipes that goes out right under the door XD

Its a 1974 Dodge Charger SE, has a Magnum 400 in it, slapstick, A/C, power windows, cruise control...floorboards are shot but he has fabricated aluminum floorpans for replacements, body is good with exception to the passenger side has been sideswiped and filled with bondo...the car needs a LOT of love, but its mechanically in perfect condition, with 100% rebuilt front end and a bunch of other new stuff, and perfect running engine and tranny with no leaks...looks like itd be a really fun car to drive

I also learned that this body style charger was allowed to run in NASCAR from 1973 to 1977 and was Richard Pettys favorite car out of all the cars hes ever driven...lol

Save on fuel and get a gas card. Learn these deals in Publix Ad.

Was lookin at pics of rebuilt chargers and came across this..,..freakin' AWESOMNESS, though I dont think I could bring myself to butcher it like that...lol

If I get it I want to keep it all original...or as close as I can get it...something like this.

Last edited by BadAssPerformance; 11-11-2020 at 01:04 PM.

Hybrid booster

Re: Worth it? 1974 Dodge Charger SE

Well it certainly has potential. Bonus for a big block! I'd grab it as long as you have the time and $$ to properly restore it. Did you check out the frame? Older Mopars were famous for frame rot, especially where the torsion bars are.

Hybrid booster

That engine compartment could double as a homeless shelter... It's freakin huge!
    - Dave MacArthur '83 Shelby Charger - TII conversion ("The Mistress") '08 Ranger '04 Malibu '12 Can Am Spyder RT

Hybrid booster

$ 800.00...tops

boostaholic

I helped restore a 1972, pretty much the same thing, but alot better looking.

Why not!

turbo addict

I had a Yellow '73 BIGBLOCK Charger back in the mid '80's. The car had white bucket seat with slap stick interior. Originally a 400 car, I put in a warmed over 440 with some other tweaks done to the drivetrain. Loved it!!! The car was pretty quick for a tank. I figure low 13's high 12's through the 1/4 with some slicks. The torque that 440 had was unreal!!!

turbo addict

ive had a 74 charger rally 318 for 14 years now i got it for 500.00 and was far from rust free hahaha 73-74 chargers are kind of tuff to get parts for. the body pannels are all different from a 71 or 72 even though they look the same so beware the swap meet parts that a labled 71-74 i learned the hard way a few times.... and if i were you the first thing i would do is toss a power buldge hood on there an toss the flat SE in the weeds
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I'd build that thing Pro Touring style w/ a rat-rod flair Offer him a grand, I'd go no higher than $1500.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

you can now buy new full repop quaters for this car! get it and stuff a 528 hemi in there!!!!

Garrett booster

Does it have a 8 3/4 rear?

I'd say $1200 to $1500 range maybe

turbo addict

i just picked up a 74 roadrunner (sattelite) for 700. small block car bench seat, colum shift. they make everything youd need to put that baby back together. i say if thats your thing then its worth 12-1500 easy. being a bucket seat big block car id go for it. clean it up and sell it. you cant get hurt.

Mitsu booster

Thanks for all the replies

After talking to a few people and hearing all of your comments I think Ill offer him $1,000-$1,200 cash...he's a crackhead and on welfare so I figure I have to catch him around the end of the month when he's low on funds and needs some $$ for his addiction(thats a bad way to look at it, but hey, you cant help a crackhead that doesnt wanna be helped)

Frame Rails looked alright with what I saw, its sitting in soft dirt so I couldnt get a good look...and yes, the car is freakin' HUGE, I was amazed at how big it was when I walked up to it...lol

I dont know what kind of rear it has in it, Ill be taking a trip out there in the next few days to get fender tag info and VIN so I should know a lot more about it after that.

Also learned that 107,000 was made in 1974, with SE being the most popular trim package, the interior is also a Brogham Edition.

Im still trying to come around with the body style...its just...odd looking to me...will take some getting used to lol

turbo addict

they make repop tail lights there 300.00 but originals are always trashed
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I like the 73-74 Chargers, I never liked the quarter-glass style on the 71-72.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD