Thread: 41TE trans fluid leaks

Hybrid booster

41TE trans fluid leaks

Anyone have much experiance with the 41te trans? My daily drivers is a 99 dodge stratus, 166,000 miles on original transmission. I've been pretty good about changing the fluid every 30,000 miles and the trans still shifts great and is overall still in pretty good shape. I started noticing a puddle of trans fluid underneath and when I looked, it was coming out of the RH side axle seal. I've just been topping off the trans fluid and driving it. This past week the puddle started getting really big so I decided I would take it apart today and change that seal. I got the axle out and found it is also leaking from somewhere else, looks like it is coming from around the solenoid pack on the front of the trans. Is there anything around there that commonly starts leaking? What seals the solenoid pack to the trans? I'm really not very familiar with these as I solely work on GM and Ford trucks at work. I will be working on it more tomorrow, just wondering if anyone has any advice or can point me in the direction of something to look for.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Re: 41TE trans fluid leaks

They are simple, just bolt on. It used to be that you had to buy the sol. pack to get the gasket, but I think you can get it seperate now.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Garrett booster

The problem is that the solenoid pack itself leaks. I have replaced a lot of them.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by cdavis View Post
    The problem is that the solenoid pack itself leaks. I have replaced a lot of them.
    Figures......damn 604 trans. LOL.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

Yeah, I took the solenoid back off today and there was like a lake of transmission fluid around it lol. Of course nobody around here had one in stock, so I ordered one from rockauto. Hopefully it will be up and running again this week. It's been a good trans so far though so I can't complain too much.

Hybrid booster

Well, new solenoid pack, RH axle seal, and repaired oil cooler lines all completed Wed. night. Was leak free until this afternoon, the thing started leaking again, so I guess back into the garage. It's starting to annoy me!

Garrett booster

Sometimes the trans cooler lines will leak at the clamp right were it goes into the case. It will make it look like the trans solenoid pack is leaking. Just something to check.

Garrett booster

Did you change the transmission pan gasket? I've also seen the speed sensor O-rings allow fluid to leak past the sensors.

Hybrid booster

I pretty much re-sealed the trans a few months ago, trans pan, LH side cover, and the rear cover. Did all that when I change the filter/fluid. The rh axle seal has been leaking for awhile but i've been neglecting it. When I had the solenoid pack off I tightened the clamps for the trans cooler lines where they go into the case. Car was good for a couple days with no leaks, then started leaking again. Looks like it is the RH axle seal I put in. I almost think that it was the wrong seal. I bought the seal from Advance, it was listed as the RH output shaft seal. The seal looked a little different from the one I removed but it fit around the axle good, so I installed it. It did go into the case really hard. Anyway, I ordered a seal from Rock Auto and it came today. It looks exactly like the one I removed, I will probably install it this week sometime.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by RattFink View Post
    I pretty much re-sealed the trans a few months ago, trans pan, LH side cover, and the rear cover. Did all that when I change the filter/fluid. The rh axle seal has been leaking for awhile but i've been neglecting it. When I had the solenoid pack off I tightened the clamps for the trans cooler lines where they go into the case. Car was good for a couple days with no leaks, then started leaking again. Looks like it is the RH axle seal I put in. I almost think that it was the wrong seal. I bought the seal from Advance, it was listed as the RH output shaft seal. The seal looked a little different from the one I removed but it fit around the axle good, so I installed it. It did go into the case really hard. Anyway, I ordered a seal from Rock Auto and it came today. It looks exactly like the one I removed, I will probably install it this week sometime.
    Put the thing up on jack stands and run the thing at slow speed in gear. You are checking to see if the CV is broken internally and making the axle pull out/push in of the trans while it's rotating. I've seen that a lot. It doesn't even shake the vehicle sometimes.

You did not say if it was dripping from out of the bellhousing. I really hope the differential pin did not come loose and machine a hole in the bellhousing.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I found a solenoid pack for the GF's PTGT on ebay......cheap.

boostaholic

I just did a Sol pack yesterday on a Carvan only to have my boss go QA it and get side swiped.It was totaled.He was ok.

Hybrid booster

That is a bummer. Glad your boss is ok though. I took the axle seal that I installed out. Looks like it wasn't seated all the way and it wore on the bottom of the seal, causing the leak. I installed the one from rock auto and it went in waaaay better and is not leaking a drop! Should be good to go for a few more miles. I'm hoping to get 200,000 out of her.