Thread: dies when cold, high idle when warm

Hybrid booster

dies when cold, high idle when warm

When i start it in the morning i have to hold the revs up to about 2000rpms for a minute or 2, and it kinds of pops and sputters out the down pipe. While its warming up the revs slowly climb to around 1800-2000rpms and won't go down.

I unscrewed the idle screw all the way and it doesn't change. The tps voltage is perfect, and i've smoked it out so i know there isn't any vacume leaks.

When i tried to drive it, it had no power and wouldn't even get 1psi boost.

I've got codes:

12-i disconnect alot...

15----Speed Sensor----Decel at closed throttle If less than 2 mph indicated for over 7-10 seconds on decel

23 Charge Air Sensor Ignition On If voltage above 4.96 (cold) or below 0.51 (warm) volts.

35 Radiator Fan Relay Ignition On Relay not turning on and off properly

I've removed my cruise ctrl, and dont have the speedo cable hooked up.....
    i dont have the Charge air sensor hooked up.

And yeah it wants to over heat...humm wonder why?!?!?! damn relay....

engine, 89 2.2 cb .040 over decked+checked, venolia pistons, h-beams, stock swirl head decked+checked, lightly ported exhast mani, Turbonetics hybrid t3/t4 54trim stage 2 wheel .63 a/r.....Its burning lots of oil and my oil smells like gas, since i've had all these problems i've never been able to take it on a break in run, i'm hoping its just that my rings never sat, either that or it need valve guides really bad

turbo addict

Re: dies when cold, high idle when warm

with the charge air sensor disconnected it thinks the air in the intake is -40 degrees. So its dumping massive amounts of fuel to compensate for the "dense" air that it thinks it inducing.

Check the AIS motor.

Hybrid booster

I'll reset my ais later today, hopefully make it to picknpull so I can get a charge air sensor connector and a few other things.

Reading around on here it also sounds like not having my speedo cable hooked up could be causing problems also, what do u think?
    Last edited by 86trbolancer; 03-18-2010 at 01:13 PM.

turbo addict

no cable can cause stalling while coasting and stuff like that

Hybrid booster

I fcukn hate this iPhone pos. Anyway, tried resetting the ais. It idled low till I snapped the throttle once then it was back at 18k. I got my broken connector to work on the charge sensor. But the code still came back. I've got a few extras that I can swap it with, so I'll try that later.

Any input is appreciated

Hybrid booster

Switched out my sensor. All the same codes still and car still runs very rich.

I need to get this figured out before I move on the 10th of this next month.

Is there a voltage chart for the charge air temp sensor that someone has?

There can't be that many things that can make this car run rich..... It's got a mopar performance stage 2 ecu that I sent to Cindy to get checked, stock injectors and fpr that I've already tried swapping out, and the charge air temp sensor that I've swapped also.

I'm starting to lean towards the ecu again cuz I don't think cindy acctually put it in a car to see what it does.

Anyone have known working stockish t2 ecu they would let me use for a day? I'll pay shipping both ways, and some gas $$$
    Last edited by 86trbolancer; 03-22-2010 at 10:21 AM.

Hybrid booster

Well I'm getting a wideband o2 in a few days so hopefully that will help me out a little...

Hybrid booster

Well got my wideband o2 installed...and things weren't what I thought they were. Car runs very lean. Guess most my smoking is from valve seals...I'm not really able to check my OE o2 sensor. So I just grounded out the signal to see what would happen and the revs went up to around 2.5k.
    The signal voltage was .8 and went right back to that after grounding it. And stayed at .8 even when I reved it up.

So when they car is idleing the wideband jumps around from 13-15 with blips of 16. Only when I give the car revs up to 3500+ and hold it there then it goes wayy lean ---

Any ideas???
    Last edited by 86trbolancer; 04-01-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Hybrid booster

Just to add tps is at 1.0 closed 3.7 wot with a smooth transition to between each .1 of a volt

Hybrid booster

So call me an idiot but Im guessing that the wb is supposed to see lean when holding you foot at revs above 3k...I didn't want to drive it because of this but desided to anyway. sry first time using a wb. Lol

When accelerating, or more like attempting to...it has lack of power till it starts to boost then it really starts to move. And the wb reads 10.

Oh and no more codes!!!!!!
    Last edited by 86trbolancer; 04-02-2010 at 01:02 AM.