Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement battery...can i downgrade?

boostaholic

Replacement battery...can i downgrade?

Well, i just had my interstate battery crap out on my in the daytona...i priced a new mopar one for 85 bucks.....i was woundering if i could save some money and downgrade it. I only drive this car on nice sunny days...its not a daily driver at all....i don't drive it in the winter...you think i can get lower CCA battery? Any suggestions?

Tom

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Replacement battery...can i downgrade?

The battery I use in my Horizon is way low on CCA's. Some of us get away with lawn tractor batteries to save weight and space.

The batteries in our cars have way more power than they really need to turn over low-compression 4-bangers like ours. You can downgrade with no issues.

As far as saving some bucks, you can sometimes ask the retailer for returned batteries.

For 5+ years I had an Interstate "Econo Power" battery in my daily driver Acclaim. It was basically a battery that was sold once as a Megatron and returned under warranty, checked out by Interstate to be just fine, and sold again as an Econo Power. It cost less than half of a new battery.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

How many amps are required to start the car comfortably? I think it's 9 or so, but for some reason that doesn't sound right. Let me rephrase, how many to start a car in weather from 65-90F or during warm weather.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    How many amps are required to start the car comfortably? I think it's 9 or so, but for some reason that doesn't sound right. Let me rephrase, how many to start a car in weather from 65-90F or during warm weather.
    Well to give you an idea, the Odyssey PC680 battery that I use on my Horizon is rated at 220CCA's. Cranks it over with no issues whatsoever. It's tiny too.

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/battspecs.html
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

I use the die-hard gold lawn tractor battery in my 2.5 that has 150psi in all it's cylinders on a compression check (I've heard that's high but don't really know). It starts the car just fine even in 5 degree's below zero. The best things to do to help little batteries out is to lighten the rotating assembly. An aluminum flywheel and a UDP really allows the starter to turn the engine over more like a machine gun firing rather than a semi-automatic handgun.

boostaholic

Alright cool...i'll have to go look at some batterys...thats jut about the only thing i need for spring to start driving her....got 62 degree weather comin on thursday.....yummy.....t-tops off....

Thanks

Tom

I've run the same lawn tractor battery in my Shadow for at least the last 5 years. I don't drive it regularly but I do move it around the driveway garage on occassion. It has never needed a jump start, even after sitting for weeks in the winter.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I think the rule of thumb is one CCA per cubic inch. At least that's what I went with picking out the motorcycle battery I have in the Charger. Works fine going into its third year. A gear reduction starter helps too.

Tom, I'd just get a cheap Group 26, which is the stock size for an Omni. It's a little shorter (in length, not height) but is still wide enough to fit a Daytona's battery tray and use the factory hold downs. Walmart and most parts stores usually have one in the $30-$40 range.

turbo addict

I just bought one of those batteries from Walmart. I'm pretty sure it was in the $65 or more range. A diehard gold in that size is $110.

Really? Do they not have the cheap one-year warranty ones?

turbo addict

that's what I bought. The cheapest they had because I was selling the car.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Batteries have gone up considerably in the last couple years. even the cheap ones are in the $60-70 range easily.

boostaholic

Heh, I upgraded last time my battery died. I put a 1000CCA battery in my LeBaron.

You guys could price out batteries for the older Civics, they're small and still put out about 400cca.
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Batteries have gone up considerably in the last couple years. even the cheap ones are in the $60-70 range easily.
    Apparently. Last time I bought a full size battery was New Year's Day 2006.

Mopar batteries are made by interstate

boostaholic

well, i bought a new battery...its a cheap on from autozone. it was 50 bucks., its bout the same size as the orginal and it has 625 cca and 500 ca...i think it should be fine for how much i drive the car...

Thanks.

Tom S

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Did you get the $85 price for a new Mopar battery at a dealership parts counter? Last time I got one it was about $130 for the group 34

turbo addict

I ran a SMALL lawn tractor battery in a DD neon I had for a while. It worked great, started with no problems at all. But, If I left my radar detector plugged in for 2 days and didn't drive the car it wouldn't start. I recently put my NY back together with a used 2gn neon battery. It starts just fine. I don't know the CCA difference, but its much smaller.

On a side note, anything smaller then a fresh optima wont start my jeep with its Buick 3.8. I'm half tempted to stuff a pair of semi truck battery's behind the seat!

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Did you get the $85 price for a new Mopar battery at a dealership parts counter? Last time I got one it was about $130 for the group 34
    My good friend works at a mopar dealership. it was 85 bucks plus tax..and ofcoarse core. Didn't know if he got a discount or anything?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Most certainly a discounted price. probably dealer cost + 10%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast